Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to delete useless files from MACintosh HD

Hi,

I deleted some files today from my HD that I thought were useless. However, I am not sure because I am not that savvy in computer lingo.

I used to be able to delete individual files from my trash. When I tried to do so today I was not able to. Does anyone know why? There are files that I am not sure I want to empty from the trash until I see if they compromise my computer. Thus deleting individual files from the trash was a good option.

Thank you!

Posted on Oct 22, 2018 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2018 7:20 AM

Deleting files from certain areas of macOS doesn’t always end.... desirably.

Nor does deleting local user files, if those files are still needed...

Have backups...first...

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies

Oct 23, 2018 7:21 AM in response to Chiquita81

How to Free Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.
  2. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.
  3. Also, see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.
  4. What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac?
  5. Files That Make Up the 'Other' Storage Category, and How to Remove Them
  6. Free up storage space on your Mac.
  7. See Where did my Disk Space go?.
  8. Be sure to Empty the Trash to recover the space.
  9. Replace the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.
  10. Use OmniDiskSweeper or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

Never delete anything if you don't know what it is or what it's for!. Only delete files in your Home folder. Create a separate Admin user that you can use in emergencies or test things such as removing files. Always maintain a working and bootable backup of your good system. This is in addition to a Time Machine backup if you have one.

Trying to delete useless files from MACintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.