You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Unlock with Touch ID" is grayed out

I just started using a new MacBook Pro, and for some reason I am able to use Touch ID for some functionality but not to unlock the computer when it has gone to sleep.

User uploaded file

This is a company provided laptop, under corporate security control, but I have been assured that there is no restriction for using Touch ID to unlock.

Any ideas what might be happening here?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Oct 23, 2018 12:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 7:13 PM

This is a duplicate question... here is the same answer I put for the other one...

I have this same issue on a company managed macbook pro... this is due to a corporate policy. You can see this by running the builtin bioutil command from a terminal window.

$ sudo bioutil -u 1 -w -s

Unlock with Touch ID is managed via a configuration profile. You have to uninstall the profile first.

User uploaded file

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 11, 2018 7:13 PM in response to amandal80

This is a duplicate question... here is the same answer I put for the other one...

I have this same issue on a company managed macbook pro... this is due to a corporate policy. You can see this by running the builtin bioutil command from a terminal window.

$ sudo bioutil -u 1 -w -s

Unlock with Touch ID is managed via a configuration profile. You have to uninstall the profile first.

User uploaded file

Oct 24, 2018 9:30 AM in response to eriksed415

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, eriksed415.
If I understand your post correctly, the option to unlock your Mac with Touch ID is greyed out in System Preferences. Touch ID is a quick and easy way to unlock your Mac. I'd like to help.
Let's do some testing to narrow down the issue. Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes corrects the issue. This article will tell you how: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
If you're able to select Unlocking your Mac in safe mode, but not when you get back to your user account, please check the section titled "If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps.
If the option is still greyed out while in safe mode, a test user will let us know if the issue is isolated to your account, or system wide: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac. If it is also greyed out in the test user, then please check the section titled "If an issue happens in more than one user account."
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

"Unlock with Touch ID" is grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.