Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes does not recognize iPad Pro

Hello,

I just bought a used iPad Pro 9.7” and I am trying to sync it to iTunes on my iMac, but I am not having any success.

Before you respond to my question, please understand that I have already exhausted the suggestions in these articles to no avail:

If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

If you see Error 3194, Error 17, or 'This device isn't eligible for the requested build' in iTunes - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203875

Device details:

iMac (Mid 2011)

High Sierra 10.13.6

iTunes 12.8.0.150

iPad Pro 9.7” (2016)

IOS 12.0.1

• When I initially connected the iPad with the accompanying USB/Lightning cable, iTunes asked me if I trusted this device and I answered Yes.
  • While connected, the iPad is recognized by the iMac (see screen shot) but not by iTunes.
  • The iPad Pro is visible when connected to our Mac Mini in our media area.
  • I have the latest version of everything on both devices.
  • I’ve rebooted both devices
  • I have no security software.
  • My Firewall settings are off.
  • I checked my host files.
  • I tested TCP port connectivity, but wasn’t sure what to do about it.

If no one has a new solution or explanation, I will naturally contact Apple Support.

Thanks!

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 23, 2018 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2018 1:21 PM

It isn't, but something about the process of reinstalling iTunes 12.8 while the iOS device in question is unlocked and connected to USB seems to trigger the additional software download that is required. On the rare occasions that it doesn't reboot router, computer, and device, then try once more.

tt2

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 23, 2018 5:04 PM in response to lisairis

Download the current 12.8 installer for iTunes from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/.

Unlock your iOS device and connect it to USB.

Reinstall iTunes from the .dmg that you've downloaded.

During the installation it should announce that a further software update is required.

Install that and iTunes should see your device.

See also If your iOS 12 device isn't recognized by iTunes, you might need to upgrade macOS or iTunes - Apple Support.

tt2

iTunes does not recognize iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.