Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud contacts won't (suddenly) sync with contacts in MacBook

I have an iPhone 6s running iOS 12.0.1, iPad running iOS 10.3.3 and MacBook Pro with High Sierra.

Contacts added to my iPhone and/or my iPad sync with iCloud. Similarly, single or group contacts added on iCloud sync with both my iPhone and iPad. However, all of a sudden contacts added on either iPhone/iPad or in iCloud won't sync with contacts in my MacBook. Strangely, contacts added in my MacBook app will sync with the other devices and in iCloud. So, this seems to be a one-way sync. This was working perfectly well until 24 hours ago. I have not changed any settings to make this happen.

I have searched frantically for a solution but nothing I have seen quite fits this scenario.

The issue sue seems to be with the MacBook. I have checked the iCloud settings are correct on all devices. I have switched off iCloud sync and turned back on again. I have re-booted all devices. But nothing seems to work.

Can anyone assist please? A solution would be much appreciated. With thanks.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Oct 23, 2018 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2018 11:07 AM

Very many thanks for your clear and concise instructions. It has worked, albeit with a few blips!

I had already tried unchecking/re-checking the contacts box in System Preferences > iCloud several times, but to no avail. I tried again with the same result.

i had a few additional dialogue boxes (asking for my Mac password) but things went pretty smoothly but then stalled at the end of (e). I had a message that there was an unexpected error uploading the calendar to the server (or words to that effect). I was asked to 1) try again now, or 2) later. I was wi-fi connected. Neither seemed to work and kept throwing up the same error. It then jumped back to repeat the whole process from just after System Preferences > iCloud. I never got beyond point (f) but, whatever, it then seems to have done the trick! 😀

After spending many hours on this, thanks again for your time and help.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2018 11:07 AM in response to tygb

Very many thanks for your clear and concise instructions. It has worked, albeit with a few blips!

I had already tried unchecking/re-checking the contacts box in System Preferences > iCloud several times, but to no avail. I tried again with the same result.

i had a few additional dialogue boxes (asking for my Mac password) but things went pretty smoothly but then stalled at the end of (e). I had a message that there was an unexpected error uploading the calendar to the server (or words to that effect). I was asked to 1) try again now, or 2) later. I was wi-fi connected. Neither seemed to work and kept throwing up the same error. It then jumped back to repeat the whole process from just after System Preferences > iCloud. I never got beyond point (f) but, whatever, it then seems to have done the trick! 😀

After spending many hours on this, thanks again for your time and help.

iCloud contacts won't (suddenly) sync with contacts in MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.