Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't disable password for app updates

I have tried to turn off password protection for free items on my iPhone 8 (per the instructions), but each and every app update is asking for my password. How do I disable this?

iPhone 8, iOS 12.0.1

Posted on Oct 25, 2018 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2018 10:22 AM

Hello dltett23,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to update apps without having to put in your Apple ID password on your iPhone. It also seems you've done some troubleshooting on your own. Were the steps you followed the ones outlined in the following article?

Turn on Automatic Downloads or App Updates

What you'll need

User uploaded file

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store.
  2. Turn on the content that you want to automatically download.

After you turn on Automatic Downloads for music, apps, or books and audiobooks on all of your devices, all new purchases that you make in the App Store, iTunes Store, or Apple Books on any device download automatically to all of your devices.

Turn on Updates to get Automatic Updates for apps. Any new versions of apps that you currently have on your device will automatically download when they're available.

You can also turn Automatic Downloads on or off over your cellular network on an iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular. Go to Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store and turn Use Cellular Data on or off. Cellular Data downloads are limited to a file size of 150 MB or smaller.

If these are the steps you've already attempted, I'd like to offer you some additional steps to help with your situation. Please force close the App Store app and restart your device as iOS clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your device off and on. Then open the App Store and test your issue with app updates again.

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ​
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Please let us know if you've found these recommendations helpful. Don't hesitate to reach out with any additional information or results you may have come across on this issue. It will be a pleasure to continue working with you toward a solution.

Cheers!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2018 10:22 AM in response to dltett23

Hello dltett23,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to update apps without having to put in your Apple ID password on your iPhone. It also seems you've done some troubleshooting on your own. Were the steps you followed the ones outlined in the following article?

Turn on Automatic Downloads or App Updates

What you'll need

User uploaded file

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store.
  2. Turn on the content that you want to automatically download.

After you turn on Automatic Downloads for music, apps, or books and audiobooks on all of your devices, all new purchases that you make in the App Store, iTunes Store, or Apple Books on any device download automatically to all of your devices.

Turn on Updates to get Automatic Updates for apps. Any new versions of apps that you currently have on your device will automatically download when they're available.

You can also turn Automatic Downloads on or off over your cellular network on an iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular. Go to Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store and turn Use Cellular Data on or off. Cellular Data downloads are limited to a file size of 150 MB or smaller.

If these are the steps you've already attempted, I'd like to offer you some additional steps to help with your situation. Please force close the App Store app and restart your device as iOS clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your device off and on. Then open the App Store and test your issue with app updates again.

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ​
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Please let us know if you've found these recommendations helpful. Don't hesitate to reach out with any additional information or results you may have come across on this issue. It will be a pleasure to continue working with you toward a solution.

Cheers!

Can't disable password for app updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.