Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth losing connection

I keep losing connection with my wireless keyboard and/or mouse. This happens at about once a day, sometimes when the computer goes to sleep, other times right in the middle of typing.

About 30% the time I can use a wired trackball combined with cycling the on/off switch on the keyboard/mouse to get the the connection back but usually it requires a complete restart. Even that in not alway successful on the first restart. If there is another user logged on I have to do forced restart as I can't override the dialog warning without a keyboard. It has been like this for at least three OS upgrades so that is not the problem.

I have deleted the profiles from the bluetooth preferences. this will work for a day or so before returning to the random connection issues Battery life is not a factor as it happens at all stages of battery charge.

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 28, 2018 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2018 9:31 PM

The following will require a wired keyboard and mouse. If you don't have a set borrow or buy them.

System Prefences - Bluetooth - select the wireless mouse and keyboard - Click the "X" to each to remove - Turn Blooth Off - Turn off computer and restart in Safe Mode per Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Then restart normally and the turn on Bluetooth and Re-Pair your wireless keyboard and mouse and you are back in business.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2018 9:31 PM in response to davidfromrolla

The following will require a wired keyboard and mouse. If you don't have a set borrow or buy them.

System Prefences - Bluetooth - select the wireless mouse and keyboard - Click the "X" to each to remove - Turn Blooth Off - Turn off computer and restart in Safe Mode per Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Then restart normally and the turn on Bluetooth and Re-Pair your wireless keyboard and mouse and you are back in business.

bluetooth losing connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.