Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to apply Ken Burns to multiple photos in FCPX

Hi,

I want to create a slide show with hundreds of photos using FCP X, but I want them to have each a different Ken Burns randomised effect, without having to decrete it one by one on each and every photo.

Is there a painless way to do that in FCPX 10.4.3 on Mojave?

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 12:53 PM

I'm not in front of FCPX at the moment but I'd try this:

Set Ken Burns on one photo.

Highlight/Select that photo in the timeline

Command + C

Highlight/Select the other photos

Shift + Command + V (paste attributes)

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1604/en_US/final_cut_pro_x_user_gu ide.pdf

Page 235

Without testing it I'm not sure if FCPX will randomize the effect or not though. Once, long ago in FCP Classic I had to do what you're talking about right before a funeral for a politician in the town where I was. There was NO time to do it manually for 300 photos and iPhoto was choking on the number and random resolutions of the images, so I manually set 20 "ken burns" moves and copied and pasted it randomly to the remaining images and no one noticed 🙂

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2018 12:53 PM in response to EditenFest

I'm not in front of FCPX at the moment but I'd try this:

Set Ken Burns on one photo.

Highlight/Select that photo in the timeline

Command + C

Highlight/Select the other photos

Shift + Command + V (paste attributes)

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1604/en_US/final_cut_pro_x_user_gu ide.pdf

Page 235

Without testing it I'm not sure if FCPX will randomize the effect or not though. Once, long ago in FCP Classic I had to do what you're talking about right before a funeral for a politician in the town where I was. There was NO time to do it manually for 300 photos and iPhoto was choking on the number and random resolutions of the images, so I manually set 20 "ken burns" moves and copied and pasted it randomly to the remaining images and no one noticed 🙂

Oct 31, 2018 12:53 PM in response to EditenFest

You probably should try doing that straight out of Photos.

It is trivial to do. Just select the photos, File->Create->Slide Show, choose the Ken Burns theme, export.

AFAICT there is no way to randomize the effect in FCP X.

One could try a few tricks by messing with an exported xml, but it would be too much work (I am thinking a Python script to read the xml and change parameters there; certainly possible, but for me not worth the considerable effort)

Oct 31, 2018 12:58 PM in response to W. Raider

Hi, thanks for the trip! I had read about pasting attributes but didn't know how to do it in FCPX.

Problem is it zooms in on all the other pictures in the same fashion, plus if you copy from a landscape picture unto a portrait picture, it screws it up in a weird fashion. But I will try to do a few different ken burns and then paste them in groups and do that again for portrait pics. Thanks!

How to apply Ken Burns to multiple photos in FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.