You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil broken strokes & random horizontal lines

I have purchased an iPad Pro 10.5" last year with the Apple Pencil and had no problems until about 5 months of using it in college. I began seeing broken strokes and random lines forming as I used the Apple Pencil on the OneNote. I tried restarting the iPad, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, unpairing and repairing the apple pencil, but the problem kept coming back. I thought it was a defective iPad and luckily it was still under warranty so I was able to switch it at the apple store. Now, the new replacement, a few months later, I am having the same issue. This time, I think I may have discovered when the error occurs. Whenever I am charging my iPad and using the Apple Pencil at the same time, the broken strokes and horizontal lines occur while writing in the Notability app. It is fine if I don't rest my palm on the screen while writing, but once my palm touches the screen, the strokes mess up. This has started today. Once I unplugged the charging cable from the iPad, the problem went away and I could rest my palm with no issues. I researched and found an older thread with people experiencing the same issue and it was suggested that there is possibly and conductivity error or interference between the charging cable and the apple pencil while using it while at the same time resting your palm on the screen (link to old thread: Random Horizontal Apple Pencil Streaks and Breaks). It has not been happening until now. I guess it's a hardware issue that cannot be solved since it may have to do with the material used to build these iPads.

Hopefully the new iPad Pros (11" and 12.9" that came out yesterday) and the new Apple Pencil takes this into account and fixes this issue. There should be a recall for those who purchased the Apple Pencil and iPads since the manufacturer warranty has most likely expired for some people and it is due to faulty manufacturing.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.3.1, iPad Pro 10.5" & Apple Pencil Gen 1

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 7:43 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 1, 2018 3:57 PM in response to jasmart08

Hi jasmart08,

Yes, you can use either iTunes or iCloud to back up. As long as you have enough iCloud storage, you can use the steps in the articles above to do so. There are some differences between iCloud and iTunes backups, detailed here in the article titled About backups for iOS devices :

iCloud backups

With a Wi-Fi network connection, you can make a backup of your device using iCloud. You don’t need to plug your device into a computer or even be at home to back up with iCloud.

iCloud backups include nearly all data and settings stored on your device. iCloud backups don't include:

• Data that's already stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Notes, iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages*
  • Data stored in other cloud services, like Gmail and Exchange mail
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Touch ID settings
  • iCloud Music Library and App Store content (If it's still available in the iTunes, App, or Apple Books store, you can tap to re-download your already purchased content.)

Learn how to make an iCloud backup or how to manage iCloud storage and delete backups that you no longer need.

iTunes backups

From your Mac or PC, you can make a backup of your device in iTunes. Syncing your device with your computer isn't the same as making a backup. An iTunes backup includes nearly all of your device's data and settings. An iTunes backup doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • My Photo Stream
  • Face ID or Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Activity, Health, and Keychain data (To back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.)

Take care.

Nov 1, 2018 11:49 AM in response to jasmart08

Hi jasmart08,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I see you're encountering an issue with the Apple Pencil on your iPad Pro.

Determining that the issue only occurs when the iPad is charging helps narrow things down. To clarify, you mentioned a few third-party apps (OneNote, Notability). Do you get the same result if you use the built-in Notes app to test?

When you got the replacement iPad, did you set it up as new, or from a backup? You've done some great troubleshooting so far, and a good next step may be to make a backup and then restore your iPad, setting it up as new. Then, test to see if you can replicate the issue; this would help rule out a few other causes.

Here's How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings . Once you set the iPad up as new, test it out in a few apps while charging to see if the same behavior occurs.

If the issue persists when set up as new, your best bet will be to Contact Apple Support for the next steps.

Take care.

Nov 1, 2018 1:15 PM in response to jasmart08

Hi jasmart08,

Thanks for the follow-up information. There is the possibility that the issue is software related, so it may be best to try making a backup and then restoring the iPad. If the issue can be replicated when it's set up as new, that would tell you more about what's causing it; on the other hand, it may resolve the issue entirely.

For reference, the links you'll need for this process can be found below:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Kindest regards.

Nov 1, 2018 12:45 PM in response to chris_g1

Yes, I set the replacement iPad as a new device. I got the replacement around February or March of this year and it’s been fine this entire time up until yesterday. I believe it has something to do with the electricity of the iPad and the charging cable along with whatever is emitted from your hand. There appears to be some interference. If there is a way, the Apple Pencil needs to be recalibrated with the iPad screen. It seems more like an issue with the material conducting the electricity. An engineer department for apple should take a look at it considering many people experience the same issue. I am now out of warranty so I wouldn’t even be able to get a replacement without paying even though it’s a manufacturer issue. I take very great care of my iPad and have never dropped it so I know I did not physically cause the issue.

Apple Pencil broken strokes & random horizontal lines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.