Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem sending mail

As of Tuesday, I am unable to send mail. All outgoing mail ends up in Outbox. I can receive mail just fine. When sending I get this message: Cannot send message using server charter.net. Connections to the server "mobile.charter.net" on the default ports timed out. Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

Edit SMTP Server List includes: Charter.net (offline) iCloud

Connection Doctor shows that our three email accounts (IMAP) - Connection and login to server succeeded

But charter.net SMTP is unable to connect.

Could not connect to this SMTP server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Account preferences. Also verify that server supports SSL. If it does not, deselect the "Use TLS?SSL" checkbox in the Server Settings Tab of Account preferences.

I have been using apple mail for the past 6 years on this machine without a problem. This problem seemed to pop up on its own early this week.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 5:06 PM

There are several threads reporting this problem; one of the most active one seems to be Mail Outgoing server Problem (Mojave), but several people feel it is not Mojave-related. It seems to be an Apple SMTP server issue, which they are supposedly working on. The system status monitor (Apple - Support - System Status) however shows a green light although there is now acknowledgement at least that there was a problem now resolved. However it certainly does not seem to be resolved for all!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2018 5:06 PM in response to darlander

There are several threads reporting this problem; one of the most active one seems to be Mail Outgoing server Problem (Mojave), but several people feel it is not Mojave-related. It seems to be an Apple SMTP server issue, which they are supposedly working on. The system status monitor (Apple - Support - System Status) however shows a green light although there is now acknowledgement at least that there was a problem now resolved. However it certainly does not seem to be resolved for all!

Nov 6, 2018 7:00 AM in response to BDAqua

We had no problem sending or receiving email on our other devices. With on line help form Apple Support, they directed me through the advance settings and paired the out going mail settings (SMTP) with the working laptop. That seemed to solve the problem. Our service provider must have altered something recently that my computer did not automatically pickup in the mail preferences advance settings.

Everything is now working fine. Thanks!

Problem sending mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.