Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C iPad Pro to USB-A Macbook iTunes Backup

When my new iPad Pro arrives 11/7, I will want to do an iTunes backup. How will I be able to do that since my MacBook Pro doesn't have a USB-C port?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 11:25 AM

I have just ordered a Molex USB-A male to USB-C male cable, DigiKey part numberWM12849-ND. The available data sheet shows the pin wiring and it should do the trick.

I will post my results back after it and my iPad arrive and I have a chance to try it out.

27 replies

Nov 1, 2018 10:12 AM in response to ShagCA

ShagCA wrote:

Shouldn't it be backward compatible with older USB ports like USB-A (assuming one end of the plug is the same as legacy USB plug)? It doesn't make any sense if we have to buy extra cables to connect it to our computers.

If you mean the included USB-C cable, it does not end in USB-A. It is USB-C on both sides, as the new 18 watt included charger is a USB-C charger as well.

Papa.G wrote:

Do you know if the Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter would work as well? It's not clear to me in their description if it can be used "bidirectionally".

In theory, you would still need a male to male USB-A to USB-A cable. Though as you say, the bi-directionality of it, is in question.

Nov 1, 2018 10:03 AM in response to Phil0124

You're right, the Apple adaptor has a USB-A female. I hadn't noticed that. So the Apple adaptor plus a cable. Not an optimum solution. Your original suggestion seems the best so far, although that cable gets mixed reviews on Amazon.

I'll probable just pop into my neighborhood Apple store on Wednesday and see what they suggest for a long term solution.

Nov 8, 2018 10:11 AM in response to Papa.G

Hi, sorry for disturbing you with my question but I hope you know what I should do (or someone else who might see this), I've got my new iPad Pro 11" yesterday, connected it to my Mac today (with an adapter, even another brand than yours ), approved the computer access to my iPad and chose to trust the computer.
I did everything I thought I should do ;-) BUT my iTunes cannot find the iPad Pro 11".
I'm missing some content that wasn't transfered through the iCloud copy yesterday and was hoping to put them into my iPad through iTunes and the computer instead. It is e.g. some "home made" videos. With "home made" I mean converted old dvd;s that I would like to have on the iPad offline. (Sorry if my words aren't correct, but English is not my first language)

Do you know what I can do to enable iTunes to find the iPad when I connect it to the computer?

(all softwares are updated)

Nov 8, 2018 11:26 AM in response to annahen

1. This is a user to user forum. As such you are not directly addressing Apple personnel. So any brand even Apple's is not actually ours.

2. What type of computer are you connecting it to, Mac or PC? What OS is it running?

3. What iTunes version do you have on your computer? You will need iTunes 12.8 on a Mac, or iTunes 12.9 on a Windows PC for it to recognize the iPad correctly.

Nov 8, 2018 12:17 PM in response to Phil0124

Thank you!

Yes I know it is a user to user forum, sorry if I was unclear. I meant the cable suggestion that was mentioned I can probably not get hold of, I’m living in Sweden and don’t have availability to the same stores as in USA, not even over internet due to custom clearance etc.

2) I have a Mac that I think is from 2015, I always try to keep everything as updated I can, but I seem to have only Sierra ver 10.13.6 ( I’ll get macOS Mojave now) Could that be causing my problem? 🤔

3) iTunes is 12.8.0.150

Nov 8, 2018 5:54 PM in response to annahen

The USB-A male to USB-C male cable can be any reliable brand.

When I plugged my new iPad Pro in with iTunes already running my Mac suggested that I needed to update my version of iTunes. I am now running version 12.9.0.164 under Mojave. It’s possible that that version is necessary to recognize the new iPads.

My Retina Macbook Pro is an early 2015 model.

Nov 9, 2018 10:08 PM in response to Phil0124

Thank you for your time and kindness.

I´ve now solved the problem 👍-1F3FB;

After updating to Mojave, purchasing of a new cable (brand, Belkin) I tried again and now it worked perfectly. I’ll try again to use the cable that was included with the iPad (Apples own cable) together with the usb-adapter (don’t have usb-c in my computer), but that would only be as spare option for me if it will work 😉

Nov 27, 2018 11:56 AM in response to Papa.G

Hi Papa.G

It sounds like your new cable has done the trick for you!

What set up have you got this working on?

I have the new IPad Pro with usb-c and want to connect to iTunes on my iMac (2012) through the usb 3 socket.

The Apple adapter (usb-c to usb-a socket used with a male usb to usb does not work for me.

Do you think the Molex cable will work?

Thanks for any help

Dec 21, 2018 10:10 AM in response to Papa.G

Me too! I pay over £1,000 for a new iPad Pro, only to find it comes with no adaptors. The USB C to USB A adaptor doesn't enable me to connect to my Mac (to use this adaptor I would also need a cable with male-to-male USB connections).

No problem - I'll just use the back-up from my iPhone XS Max via iCloud to download the essential information to my new iPad Pro. Oh no, I can't do that either because my iPhone is using iOS 12.1.2.....and this isn't compatible with the 12.1.1 on my iPad Pro.

So I have now had to spend further money to get some unbranded connector from Amazon, in the hope that they will work long enough to be able to set up my iPad. Or you know I could just do it all manually.....

This is really poor stuff from Apple, who should have provided an adaptor in the box.

USB-C iPad Pro to USB-A Macbook iTunes Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.