Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidental Trackpad Input

I had always experienced issues with my MacBook Air and accidentally touching trackpad when typing. I was using Maverick. I was able to disable it by clicking on "ignore accidental trackpad input" in System Preferences and the issue was solved. About 1 month ago I upgraded to High Sierra and the problem started all over again and after a number of Google searches and a call or two to Apple, I learned that the ability to click on "ignore accidental trackpad input" was no longer available because it was "built in to High Sierra". That's nice, but it doesn't work!! So now I'm stuck with an OSX that supposedly has it in automatically - but oh, by the way it doesn't work. This is progress? Can anyone help me with this because I'm sure many are having this issue from my Google searching.

Thanks. JimS

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 3:01 PM

Please log some feedback with Apple; that’s how they hear about these sorts of problems and concerns.

Product Feedback - Apple

As a somewhat-awkward work-around, some folks use an external mouse, and disable the in-built hardware. That or an external trackpad would work here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/6a8sfi/macbook_pro_2016_palm_rejection/

Potential (uglyj work-around buried here:

Am I the only one with palm rejection problems? | MacRumors Forums

Oddly enough, a third-party power adapter has also caused weirdness:

If your pointer is jumpy when you use a trackpad, Magic Trackpad, or Magic Mouse - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2018 3:01 PM in response to ozziesdad

Please log some feedback with Apple; that’s how they hear about these sorts of problems and concerns.

Product Feedback - Apple

As a somewhat-awkward work-around, some folks use an external mouse, and disable the in-built hardware. That or an external trackpad would work here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/6a8sfi/macbook_pro_2016_palm_rejection/

Potential (uglyj work-around buried here:

Am I the only one with palm rejection problems? | MacRumors Forums

Oddly enough, a third-party power adapter has also caused weirdness:

If your pointer is jumpy when you use a trackpad, Magic Trackpad, or Magic Mouse - Apple Support

Nov 1, 2018 4:28 PM in response to MrHoffman

I can't believe how quickly I got a response! Thank you... This is my first time ever using communities and it took 45 minutes to finally find a way to get back to you. I have given feedback to Apple on this by way of using an Apple Support Chat and also an Apple Support Phone Call in the last few days but they haven't offered anything as a fix for this. I know many others are having the same issue just from Google searches. I am even thinking about just going back to Maverick so I can fix it by using System Preferences, where it had a place I could click on "ignore accidental trackpad input". It seems rather silly to have this great new OSX High Sierra and then learn you can't even go in and find a way to eliminate this problem.

Nov 2, 2018 7:05 PM in response to dialabrain

The issue is that I was told by Apple support over the phone that the feature, " ignore accidental trackpad input " that was visible in Maverick is now automatically in High Sierra. But it doesn't seem to be working because you can't find it in High Sierra. Don't know if they are trying to get a fix for it or not but it is definitely aggravating to have to disable touch to click. Very annoying,

Accidental Trackpad Input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.