Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad Air 2 Stylus/Pencil Support, Palm Rejection Feature on iBook/Notes

Will there be an improvement on the ibook app such as adding palm rejection when using third party unit like Adonit Pixel?

I mainly use my ipad (Air 2) reading on ibook and make notes. Oftentimes i felt the need to make annotations on my ebooks but the current apple pencil is not backward compatible with the older ipads. You think they’re gonna make pencils for old ipads?

iBook, iOS 12.1, Palm Rejection Feature

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 3:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 9:53 AM

The Apple Pencil will NEVER be backward compatible with ANY older iPads.

The Adonit Pixel only has palm rejection with only about 20-30 compatible apps.

NO Apple designed apps will have any support/palm rejection for ANY third party stylii. Only supoort for the Apple Pencil.

That stated, with the Adonit Pixel, to use with non-comaptible apps, so you lay your palm down on the screen, you can purchase a, relatively, inexpensive special, lycra material-based drawing glove that isolates your hand/palm ( and your body's electrical impulses ) from the iPad's screen.

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/POMEX-Drawing-Tablets-Anti-fouling-Graphics/dp/B01GPGOPMG /ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541177475&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=drawing+gloves&psc =1

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2018 9:53 AM in response to carsocmaguinsay

The Apple Pencil will NEVER be backward compatible with ANY older iPads.

The Adonit Pixel only has palm rejection with only about 20-30 compatible apps.

NO Apple designed apps will have any support/palm rejection for ANY third party stylii. Only supoort for the Apple Pencil.

That stated, with the Adonit Pixel, to use with non-comaptible apps, so you lay your palm down on the screen, you can purchase a, relatively, inexpensive special, lycra material-based drawing glove that isolates your hand/palm ( and your body's electrical impulses ) from the iPad's screen.

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/POMEX-Drawing-Tablets-Anti-fouling-Graphics/dp/B01GPGOPMG /ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541177475&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=drawing+gloves&psc =1

Nov 2, 2018 9:09 AM in response to carsocmaguinsay

Apple Pencil compatibility is as much about the iPad screen as the Pencil itself. Other than the 2018 9.7” iPad - and the iPad Pro line of products, the iPad screen is not compatible (and technically cannot be made to be compatible) with the Apple Pencil.

For older iPads, your main option is to use a ”capacitive” stylus - but this will not replicate the full capabilities of the Pencil. Whilst we cannot speculate on what Apple might introduce, technically, we’re not going to see an “active” pencil-like device from Apple.

A third-party manufacturer produces a Bluetooth enabled stylus - which replicates some of the Pencil’s capabilities for “compatible” Apps. Look for the Adonit Pixel - as it reportedly works with many iOS devices. Adonit also produce some other stylus options that might be useful to you.

Nov 2, 2018 9:59 AM in response to carsocmaguinsay

I chose to use the Adonit Pixel/Pixel Pro with my 1st gen, 2015 iPad Pro.

If curious, here is my comprehensive, but incomplete list of Adonit Pixel compatible apps.

All apps listed support pressure sensing and palm rejection.

Animation Desk

Amaziograph

Adobe Photoshop Sketch ( palm rejection ONLY, No pressure sensing/line variations )

ArtRage

Art Studio Pro

AutoDesk SketchBook

Colored Pencil

Comic Draw

Concepts

Interactive SketchBook

Inkist

Medibang Paint

ProCreate ( palm rejection improved using special, non-electrical conducting, lycra-based material drawing glove )

Pixelmator ( used to support Adonit, I have an older version that did, not sure about their latest version )

Tayasui Sketches/Sketches Pro ( the new, free Tayasui Sketches School version works with this stylus, but without any palm rejection or pressure sensing, so you need to use a special, non-electrical conducting drawing glove with the Sketches School version to lay your hand/palm down on the iPad’s screen )

ZenBrush/Zen Brush 2

GoodNotes

Notability ( palm rejection noticeably improved using special, non-electrical conducting, lycra-based material drawing glove )

Note Shelf

Notes Plus

Notes Writer

QuickNotes X Pro

uPad

Zoom Notes

PDF Expert

PDF Pen

Foxit PDF

ipad Air 2 Stylus/Pencil Support, Palm Rejection Feature on iBook/Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.