Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor 4.4 Low CPU Utilization

Just started working with Compressor 4.4.1 which is the latest version at the time of this post. I'm transcoding custom preset H264 MP4 files and noticed now all of the cores are being used for this process.

My computer is a Mac Pro 2 X 3.46GHz 6-Core per CPU with 64GB of memory.

I jumped into the Compressor App Preferences and turned on 5 additional Compressor instances but it's still not using all the core (5 is the current max on the list).

Half of the CPU cores are processing the queued jobs at about 35-40% overall CPU utilization.

There isn't much on the forum about this topic. Any suggestions/feedback/fixes would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Compressor 4.4.1

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 11:08 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Nov 9, 2018 9:07 AM in response to MooreStudios

Some codecs support hyperthreading and some don't. Which means, those codecs that do, will take advantage of the cores. Those that don't, won't.

I'm sure that somewhere out in the interwebs you can find reading material to help you understand the issue and may provide some guidance on which codecs are more hyperthreading friendly.

Good luck.

x

Compressor 4.4 Low CPU Utilization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.