Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sync phone to iTunes on laptop

I plug my iPhone XS into my MacBook Air, and it tells me that I need to have install OS X 10.11.4 (or later) in order to use my iPhone with iTunes, but both my laptop and phone have the latest software updates (12.1 for my iPhone, and MacOS High Sierra for my laptop.) I'm using the Apple charge cable, and I've restarted both the laptop and the phone after the updates, and still nothing. I am not the most tech savvy person, and so am pretty clueless on what to do.

iPhone XS, iOS 12.1, My laptop is a MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 6, 2018 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2018 5:59 PM

HarleyQuinnCrazy8 wrote:

but both my laptop and phone have the latest software updates (12.1 for my iPhone, and MacOS High Sierra for my laptop.)

If your laptop is not too old, then MacOS High Sierra would not be "the latest software update."

An upgrade to MacOS Mojave would solve your issue.

Upgrade to macOS Mojave - Official Apple Support

If in fact you cannot advance beyond MacOS High Sierra, then this should solve the issue.

If your iOS 12 device isn't recognized by iTunes, you might need to upgrade macOS or iTunes - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2018 5:59 PM in response to HarleyQuinnCrazy8

HarleyQuinnCrazy8 wrote:

but both my laptop and phone have the latest software updates (12.1 for my iPhone, and MacOS High Sierra for my laptop.)

If your laptop is not too old, then MacOS High Sierra would not be "the latest software update."

An upgrade to MacOS Mojave would solve your issue.

Upgrade to macOS Mojave - Official Apple Support

If in fact you cannot advance beyond MacOS High Sierra, then this should solve the issue.

If your iOS 12 device isn't recognized by iTunes, you might need to upgrade macOS or iTunes - Apple Support

Can't sync phone to iTunes on laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.