Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proxies reverts to SOCKS Proxy and Hangs up Safari

How can I set my Proxies correctly under advanced in Preferences so that they stick?

I check off only FTP Mode at the bottom of the dialog box and Safari works fine.
After I turn off my system, some alien goes into my dialog box and checks off SOCKS Proxy which causes my Safari browser to freeze up. (Also, I do not quite understand what Proxies are much about and have never dealt with this issue since I have owned the computer for over 5 years so this is unusual. I upgraded to Mojave recently--not sure if that affected things.)

Thank you.

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 6:37 AM

4 replies

Nov 8, 2018 9:45 AM in response to Burdy Blue

Hi Burdy Blue,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I see you have a question about proxy server settings.

While the settings you'd need would vary depending on your server and configuration, there's some great general information here, in the article titled Enter proxy server settings on Mac :

Enter proxy server settings on Mac

If your computer is connected to a local network that’s protected from the Internet by a firewall, you may need to specify proxy servers or use the FTP passive mode (PASV) to access some Internet sites. A proxy server is a computer on a local network that acts as an intermediary between a single computer user and the Internet so that the network can ensure security, administrative control, and caching service.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu User uploaded file > System Preferences, then click Network.

2. Select the network service you use in the list—for example, Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

3. Click Advanced, then click Proxies.

4. If you configure your proxy server settings automatically, select Auto Proxy Discovery to automatically discover proxy servers, or select Automatic Proxy Configuration if you’re using a proxy auto-configuration (PAC) file. If you select Automatic Proxy Configuration, enter the address of the PAC file in the URL field. Check with your network administrator if you need more information.

5. If you configure your proxy settings manually, do the following:

• Select a proxy server, such as FTP Proxy, then type its address and port number in the fields on the right.

• Select the “Proxy server requires password” checkbox if the proxy server is protected by a password. Enter your account name and password in the Username and Password fields.

While you may need additional specific information from your network administrator, the steps above should help with the configuration and settings. To narrow things down, you could also try the same setup in a test administrator account. This would tell you if the issue is system-wide or user-specific, and if the issue persists in the test user, you'd likely then want to contact your network admin. Here's How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac :

Use another account for testing

If another user account is already set up on your Mac, you can simply log out of your account (Apple menu > Log Out) and log in with the other account. But the best way to test is with a newly created account:

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
  2. Click User uploaded file, then enter an administrator name and password.
  3. Click the Add button (+) below the list of users.
  4. Complete the fields shown for a Standard or Administrator account, then click Create Account (or OK).

If you plan to test with any of the documents in your own account, make those documents available to the new account. Drag them to the Shared folder of the Users folder on your hard drive (~/Users/Shared). You can then move them to other folders after you log in as the new user.

Then log out of your account and log in with the new account:

1. Choose Apple menu > Log out.
  2. At the login window, log in with the name and password of the new account. If you're also asked to sign in with an iCloud account or Apple ID, skip that step.

Now try to reproduce the issue in the new account. If you need to set up an email account or other account in order to test, you can do so.

If the issue doesn't happen in the other account

If the issue doesn't happen in the new user account, the issue is related to the settings or files in your own account.

If you need help with a specific alert or issue, search the Apple Support website for the text of the alert. If the issue happens in only one app in your account, it might be related to one of that app's settings. Check the app's documentation or support website for help.

You can remove the new user account when you're done testing. Follow the steps for creating a new account, but click the Remove button (–) instead of the Add button (+). Before removing the account, make sure that you don't need any of the files or settings you created or copied in that account.

If the issue happens in the other account

If the issue happens in the other user account:

I hope this is helpful to you.

Kindest regards.

Nov 8, 2018 5:51 PM in response to Burdy Blue

Problem continues and I am overlooking something or not understanding something.

Settings on my MacPro laptop and my spouse’s same computer are only set at FTP passive mode and there are no issues with those settings. I set my proxies on my Mac desktop to just the FTP, and there are no issues, until I shut down. The system automatically changes my proxy settings that I just inserted.

When I uncheck the SOCKS proxy option, user name and password come up in the dialog box on the right side. For the heck of it, I used my full name and my Apple ID and applied the change, keeping the FTP box checked off. Everything works fine until I shut down. When I open up again, the SOCKS proxy box has a check by it.

1. I created a dummy user on my system to see how if a guest account behaves that way. I discovered the same thing happens—my proxy setting reverts to SOCKs proxy and wreaks havoc.
  2. In Chrome and Firefox, there are no issues. Just with Safari. I cannot say for sure, but this occurred I believe since I upgraded to Mojave. I reloaded Mojave hoping that would solve the problem and it did not.

5. How do I get rid of the SOCKS proxy for good, please?

Thank you.

Proxies reverts to SOCKS Proxy and Hangs up Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.