Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Relocate Sound Library to existing sound library

I recently purchased a 2017 iMac and used Migration Assistant to get all my files from my backup drive. On my old Mac Mini I had Logic Pro X's sound library relocated to an external hard drive. When everything has been updated, I opened up Logic and tried to relocate the sound library to my external drive but it won't let me select my external drive and says I have an existing sound library on my external drive. How do i use those files instead of my hard drive? Thanks.

User uploaded file

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Mojave (10.14.1), Logic Pro X

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 10:30 AM

I'm afraid I don't get it. You say your sound library was on your external drive, now you want to move it to your external drive? So you want to move it to the place where it already is? Why, if it is already on the place where you want to move it to?

Similar questions

13 replies

Nov 29, 2018 8:06 PM in response to micdim

micdim, Logic does this for a different reason. If you did a fresh reinstall of macOS (or you migrated your data and apps to a new Mac, which obviously would have a fresh install of macOS), then the installation receipts for Logic Sound Library might be missing from your Mac. That's why the library is marked as not installed, although you can actually access the content on the external HD. It's a common issue.

We've discussed and experimented with receipt "transplant" in another thread. One of the users even uploaded an archive with the LPX sound library receipts from his system, and apparently also came up with a method of copy-pasting them (hence my term "transplant") 🙂

You may find it by browsing this thread: Logic Pro X sound library status not updating

Nov 8, 2018 5:52 PM in response to marktiongco

Just copy-paste the symbolic links in [Your Mac Mini's System HD]/Library/Application Support/Logic folder to [Your iMac System HD]/Library/Application Support/Logic/ folder. Also, delete any existing sound library folders from /Library/Application Support/Logic/ folder on the iMac. Hint: these would be folders with the same names as symbolic links you copy-pasted there.

I don't think there will be issues since you migrated your data from Mini to iMac, and so the user name (I assume) is the same.

Nov 8, 2018 11:43 PM in response to marktiongco

OK, nice of you (or more likely: a mistake) to mark my question as the solution, but as I understand it now, from the answer by JotaGi, you did not have any content already on your system disk, just on the external, and Logic wasn't seeing that?
Anyway, good it was solved, see if you can unmark my question and give the green star of thankfullness to JotaGi.

Or else, host(s), could any of you do that?

Nov 29, 2018 4:51 AM in response to Radarhus

Hi JotaGi,

What if the Username and hard drive have different names. I tried that, and logic seems to use the external location files, however it still shows that the content is not downloaded.

Any ideas why Logic would be using the external files, but shows they are not installed?

Thanks for your great input here.

Nov 30, 2018 7:32 AM in response to micdim

Not a problem, micdim. It's not that complicated, actually. Just a note that this "receipt transplant" would work if you previously had the sound library downloaded and installed in full, because the receipts provided in the thread linked above are for the whole library.

However, if you look at this technique on an abstract level, it proves that the shortcomings of Logic developers when it comes to sound library management (related to library relocation) are fixable. All you need is a copy of your sound library installation receipts and a bit of patience.

Relocate Sound Library to existing sound library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.