Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems relocating sound library to external drive

When I try to relocate the sound library of logic to my external SSD, it won't allow me to select the drive. It says sound library files exist here for my external SSD and on my Mac's internal SSD it says current sound library files location. How can I relocate the sound library from my Mac to the SSD. This is what the page looks like when I try to relocate the sound library. It won't allow me to click on the external drive for some reason.

User uploaded file

Logic Pro X, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2018 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2018 8:11 PM

Alright, now I see what the situation is. When you relocate the library using Sound Library Manager, Logic would assume that your external drive is now the default location for the library content. In other words, it has already created the necessary symbolic links (regardless of the size of the content initially moved) to the external drive. All you have to do once it's done is keep your external drive connected to your Mac when you download the rest of the library. One note about this process though: the installation packages are downloaded to system drive, BUT installed on external.

So to sum it up, just keep your external drive connected and download the sounds in smaller chunks. Say, 5-10 GB smaller than free space on your system drive (i.e. if you have 20 GB of free space, select 10-15 GB of sounds to download at one time). There is no need to first download and install libraries on the system drive for relocation to external later, in other words.

A recommendation to fix your current situation, where you have parts of sound library both on system HD and external, would be to delete the library folders on external and relocate the library again. After you delete the content on external Logic should allow you to select it as a target drive for relocation. When it's done, continue downloading the library to external as described above.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2018 8:11 PM in response to ankldasjfkaj

Alright, now I see what the situation is. When you relocate the library using Sound Library Manager, Logic would assume that your external drive is now the default location for the library content. In other words, it has already created the necessary symbolic links (regardless of the size of the content initially moved) to the external drive. All you have to do once it's done is keep your external drive connected to your Mac when you download the rest of the library. One note about this process though: the installation packages are downloaded to system drive, BUT installed on external.

So to sum it up, just keep your external drive connected and download the sounds in smaller chunks. Say, 5-10 GB smaller than free space on your system drive (i.e. if you have 20 GB of free space, select 10-15 GB of sounds to download at one time). There is no need to first download and install libraries on the system drive for relocation to external later, in other words.

A recommendation to fix your current situation, where you have parts of sound library both on system HD and external, would be to delete the library folders on external and relocate the library again. After you delete the content on external Logic should allow you to select it as a target drive for relocation. When it's done, continue downloading the library to external as described above.

Nov 25, 2018 7:28 AM in response to ankldasjfkaj

Sorry, but I don't quite get it. You say that you're relocating a library, but it has already been relocated to external. This doesn't add up. Could you provide more information? For example, what is the reason for you to attempt the relocation again?

Answering your question above, when you move those library folders on external to another folder, Logic won't be able to find them. That's the whole point of this workaround dealing with your particular issue.

Nov 25, 2018 7:47 PM in response to Radarhus

Okay so it all started when I got a new mac. I downloaded logic and only had about 20 GB of storage left to download the stock sounds. There is a total of about 80 GB of stock sounds for the complete logic library. Since you can't download the stock sounds directly to the external drive I filled up my memory on the Mac with 20 GB of stock sounds. I then relocated these 20 GB of stock sounds to the external drive. This freed up 20 GB of space on my Mac. I then downloaded another 20 GB of stocks sounds onto the Mac. Now I cannot relocate these sounds to the external drive because it wont allow to me to select it in the relocate sounds tab in logic for some reason.

Problems relocating sound library to external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.