Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New Ipad Pro 11 inch screen issues

Hi everyone, received my Ipad Pro 11'' already having issues with the touchscreen, its unresponsive when laid flat on a table, I noticed it seems to work fine when you lift the device up slightly, it just doesnt work when you want to swipe up, scroll on menus, emails etc.. is anyone else experiencing this problem? its quite frustrating at the moment... model is 11'' space grey 1T WiFi

thanks

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 4:15 AM

Hi Everyone,

I figured out the problem it was the screen protector, I put a tempered glass one on temporarily until my matte one arrived, which rendered it pretty much usless, unresponsive, I now have a matte one (because I use it primarily for artwork) it is working excellently, but even for general please check if you intend to put one on, I never had a problem before even with tempered glass so just be aware 🙂

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2018 4:15 AM in response to Jwongy

Hi Everyone,

I figured out the problem it was the screen protector, I put a tempered glass one on temporarily until my matte one arrived, which rendered it pretty much usless, unresponsive, I now have a matte one (because I use it primarily for artwork) it is working excellently, but even for general please check if you intend to put one on, I never had a problem before even with tempered glass so just be aware 🙂

Nov 9, 2018 2:37 PM in response to Jwongy

Do you have a screen protector on it? If so, I suggest removing it and trying to see if it works and is responsive to touch without it.

If that does not work, and you’re still having problems,I would definitely set up an appointment with the Genius Bar near you and let them have a look As it could be the digitizer and if that’s the case, you’d get a replacement.

Nov 9, 2018 3:30 PM in response to Jwongy

Bring it back to your “local” Apple for another replacement and set it up and test it in the store thoroughly before you leave the store.

This is a brand new iPad and brand new model. You shouldn't be having any operational issues with it.

You have 14 days to keep getting replacement iPads until you finally get one that has no operational/cosmetic issues.

Bring it back to your “local” Apple Store and get another new iPad Pro!

Nov 27, 2018 2:07 PM in response to Jwongy

The problem is the Tempered glass screen protector.

There are are a lot of comments on this on the internet.

See https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/9xijub/ipad_pro_11_tempered_glass_screen_ protector/

it seems when lying flat, if u try to swipe etc, it is totally unresponsive.

However if u touch with your left hand the side bezel and then try to swipe, it works perfect.

Or if u lift up the Ipad with the left hand and then swipe, again it behaves perfect.

Somehow, there is a capacitive effect that happens once you put the glass screen protector that gets neutralized when touching the body with the left hand.

I experienced it myself. I had to remove the temepered glass protector.

Plastic screen protectors dont have that issue. I put a plastic protector and it works fine.

Will have to wait for a few months for the manufacturers to figuere out a solution.

Nov 27, 2018 2:49 PM in response to Jwongy

I had the exact same problem as well, removing the tempered glass (which tempered glass had the best reviews on Amazon.com) fixed the problem. I consider myself an iPad superuser, using it daily at work and home. Other folks who don’t use it as much may not notice this much problem with tempered glass. I guess for now, I have to rely on apple care plus to take care of my iPad screen.

Jan 4, 2019 6:40 AM in response to Moult28

My reason is that glass acts a dielelectric ( an electrical insulator ).

So, I am thinking there is a electrical ( dielectric ) incompatibility with the new 3rd gen iPad Pro touch screen and screen digitizer layer and the glass screen protector.

Some one has mentioned in another similar posting that this touch screen issue does not exist when using thin, plastic film screen protectors.

Try one of those, instead.

Good Luck!

Jan 11, 2019 8:05 PM in response to Jwongy

i have the same problem With the same ipad. Apple changes me the ipad for a new one but 2weeks later, the issues appears again,. With the first ipad the screen protector (plastic) increase the problem. Now with the second ipad i have a better experience. i choose a tempt glass and works better than the first one. but the problem is from device. Probably a new ios upgrade resolve the problem. With the Apple Pencil works very fine but its necessary tu use touch gestures and thats the problem, With this issue is very frustrating to use the ipad.

Feb 3, 2019 3:20 PM in response to Jwongy

iPad 11 pro, soproratly will reboot itself. Pencil will also not work, however it is showing connected. Using outterbox defender case, thought that it could be heat. First tried removing screen protector as you really don’t need it. Had same problem with rebooting and pencil did not work. Update to IOS did not improve either...looking for help..

Feb 6, 2019 8:30 PM in response to Jwongy

If you’re interested in using the Apple Pencil and you want a matte screen protector that is extremely nice to use with a stylus AND doesn’t have any issues, get the Paperlike product from Germany. Jan Sapper created it and he’s good to talk to. You get two in the package. It seemed like I had to press a bit more firmly with my finger when moving around the system, but it’s really worth it if you want a fantastic experience with the Apple Pencil. I was concerned that I wouldn’t like the sort of matte screen appearance when I watch videos or whatever, but actually it’s very sharp and in a way it is less glare and better viewing in brighter light. This product is a bit more expensive than what you find on Amazon for $10, but I tried those and this is light years ahead. Jan or Nina will absolutely take care of you. I joked with Jan that I wish that someone would invent a sort of removable screen protector that you could switch between matte and glossy, but really their product is excellent. And when my first one took too long to arrive? They actually sent me two more sets of them! It’s hard to know what happened with a non trackable postal mail package and they just kept em coming. For no extra charge. You have to be thrilled in this day and age with a company that makes an excellent product AND has superb customer service.

Jan Sapper also gives you access to his digital journaling whatchamacallit that is really, really thoughtfully laid out and quite insightful psychologically. It can be imported into something like Notability and of course this makes fun and full use of the Apple Pencil if you want to.

I know I sound like an ad, but it’s all true. Even the part where I acted like an ungrateful child and whined at Jan for not getting the thing to me!!! They just sent more.

That’s my $0.02. I’ve never posted on an Apple forum. But I struggled with the whole glass and plastic frustration thing seemingly for months. I was prepared to use nothing. But there IS an excellent product out there at paperlike.com

Feb 8, 2019 9:57 AM in response to Jwongy

Same exact problem! 256 gig 11 inch I exchanged it 2 days later for a new one but it is doing the same thing so it has to be a software issue. Think about it flat doesn’t want to respond with screen protector but pick it up and it works perfectly means it still works with the protector on! has to be software hopefully... Apple fix this before unboxed therapy brings this to light on YouTube!

Brand New Ipad Pro 11 inch screen issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.