Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes can't see new ipad pro 2018

I just picked up the new iPad Pro 12.9 256GB (Nov 2018 version) and can't say I'm enamoured with the experience so far. Firstly the screen's flawed and it looks like Apple installed and laminated a scratched plastic screen cover over the liquid Retina display (there's a colour changing rainbow-like mark beneath the surface of the iPad touch surface).

Whilst I considered whether it bothered me enough to return the iPad Pro I thought I'd set up the device and selected 'Restore from iTunes Backup' which takes me to the screen asking me to connect the iPad to iTunes, which I've tried to do for 2 hours now with no luck.

I've got a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro (so no USB-C ports) and have tried connecting using four cables including a brand new USB-C to USB 3.0 (SS) cable. I'm running iTunes 12.8.0.150 and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6. I can't update to MacOS Mojave as some of my third party software will stop working but Apple states anything from iTunes 12.8 and MacOS 10.11.6 is supported so that shouldn't be a problem. I've tried both my MacBook Pro's USB ports (which are both USB 3.0 compliant) and have tested that they both work with all my USB 3.0 devices.

I feel like I've tried almost everything logical and am starting to clutch at straws. The only thing I can think of doing at home is buying the Apple USB-C to USB 3.0 adaptor (Apple don't appear to sell a USB-C to USB 3.0 cable) and trying that with the USB-C to USB-C cable that Apple supplied with the new iPad Pro. I also thought about buying yet another USB-C to USB-3.0 cable to try too, but my current cables are new (recent designs) SS USB 3.0 compatible and have all the pins in place (unlike the Apple supplied USB-C cable which is missing a number of pins) so I'd be surprised if that fixed the issue.

I would be real grateful to know if anyone else has experienced this or can think of anything I may have missed?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 + 16 GB DDR3

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2018 3:52 PM

I am using an iPad Air 2 running iOS 12.1 and I can sync wirelessly and sync with the cable on my MBP running El Capitan, OS X 11.11.6 and iTunes 12.8. You do NOT need to be running Mojave.

I copied these instructions from this discussion. There were written by the leading iTunes expert in the community, turingtest2. He has saved my butt on more than one occasion.

Re: My iPhone SE Will Not Connect To iTunes

Hi there, you don't need to uninstall iTunes 12.8 first, but reinstalling using the following steps should help.

Download the current 12.8 installer for iTunes from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/.

Unlock your iOS device and connect it to USB.

Reinstall iTunes from the .dmg that you've downloaded.

During the installation it should announce that a further software update is required.

Install that and iTunes should see your device.

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2018 3:52 PM in response to eyedeeuk

I am using an iPad Air 2 running iOS 12.1 and I can sync wirelessly and sync with the cable on my MBP running El Capitan, OS X 11.11.6 and iTunes 12.8. You do NOT need to be running Mojave.

I copied these instructions from this discussion. There were written by the leading iTunes expert in the community, turingtest2. He has saved my butt on more than one occasion.

Re: My iPhone SE Will Not Connect To iTunes

Hi there, you don't need to uninstall iTunes 12.8 first, but reinstalling using the following steps should help.

Download the current 12.8 installer for iTunes from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/.

Unlock your iOS device and connect it to USB.

Reinstall iTunes from the .dmg that you've downloaded.

During the installation it should announce that a further software update is required.

Install that and iTunes should see your device.

Nov 14, 2018 9:50 AM in response to eyedeeuk

Ok, so new iPad Pro 12.9" arrived and I'm happy that the screen seems good with no damage. Unfortunately, just like the first iPad Pro it won't connect to my mid 2012 MacBook Pro Retina 15" either.

So I contacted Apple and spent over an hour going through steps to try and fix it. I'd already tried every step they mentioned, except for updating to MacOS Mojave, which I don't want to do as it means some of my software that I rely on will no longer work. I'm currently using High Sierra 10.13.6 and iTunes 12.8.0.150

The Apple website states:

System Requirements

• Apple ID (required for some features)
  • Internet access9

Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:

• Mac: OS X 10.11.6 or later
  • PC: Windows 7 or later
  • iTunes 12.8 or later on Mac and iTunes 12.9 or later on PC

But I have a feeling that this could be wrong and that there may be compatibility issues with 'older' Mac hardware - like my 2012 Retina MacBook Pro. So I've booked into the 'Genius' Bar to see if they can shed any light on the issue.

Not the best experience, and I think that this could end up being expensive (OS upgrade required meaning ÂŁÂŁÂŁ's of new software needed - and probably a new Mac too) but, I guess that's life sometimes. It's all part of the Apple and Adobe ecosystem!

Nov 14, 2018 10:59 AM in response to eyedeeuk

You could always purchase an external hard drive or external SSD drive and install Mojave there and boot and run your Mac from this external hard drive running Mojave just temporarily when using this new iPad Pro to use with a newer version of iTunes.

I am using older versions of the Mac OS for the same reasons as you ( both OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks and OS X 10.11.6 El CapitĂ n ).

This is what I do to use and update/backup my older iPad Pro with a newer iTunes versions that require a higher Mac OS.

You should be using external drives for backups, anyways, if you are not already doing so.

BTW,

iTunes 12.8 IS, supposedly, supported and supposed to work with OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite and later.

So, I am at a loss to explain why Apple emphasizes the need/use of Mac OS X 10.11.4 El CapitĂ n and later.

Also, another thing you can try.

Apple employees never mention this, but there is another version of iTunes, compatible with iOS 12, that you can try that STILL saves both apps and app data, like older versions of iTunes used to.

Try downloading and using iTunes 12.6.5 ( released on Sep.18, 2018 ).

iTunes 12.6.5 found here.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

iTunes 12.6.5 for the Mac requires OS X El CapitĂ n 10.11.4 or later. Not sure of Windows PC requirements on this version.

To use thid older iTunes version and once it is downloaded and installed on your computer, at launch, hold down the Opt/Alt key on your keyboard while launching this older iTunes version, so you can create a new Tunes library.

To use this older version, you will need to move out your currently using iTunes app version, as well as its iTunes library ( usually found in the Music folder ) to another temporary location on your computer.

Once you have iTunes 12.6.5 up and running you can return the newer version of your current iTunes app back into the Applications folder.

Your iTunes Library for that newer iTunes version will have to either stay put or moved to another more easily accessible location on your Mac and you will need to hold down the Opt/Alt key on your keyboard while launching your newer iTunes version and re-link that newer iTunes Library folder in its new location.

So, effectively you will end up with two versions of iTunes with two different iTunes Libraries in this scenario.

Nov 11, 2018 11:08 AM in response to eyedeeuk

This is a brand new iPad Pro.

You really shouldn't be experiencing all of these issues.

Apple has a 14 day return policy.

Box it up and bring it back to your “local” Apple Store and ask for another replacement.

Open it in the store and inspect it for issues.

I would be trying to first start with usinb all genuine Apple cables/adapters to get that new iPad to connect to your MacBook Pro.

Purchase everything you may need for cables and/or adapters.

Ask Apple employees what you'll need to for cables to connect that new iPad to your MacBook Pro.

Good Luck to You!

Nov 12, 2018 2:22 AM in response to MichelPM

Many thanks MichelPM. I totally agree and I've already contacted the company I bought the iPad Pro from (not Apple, unfortunately) to organise an exchange, but they are currently out of stock.

Whilst I wait for stock to be replenished I thought it'd be a good idea to figure out if the issue I'm experiencing (iPad not connecting to iTunes) is due to requiring a specific USB-C cable, a faulty iPad Pro, or a problem with my 2012 MacBook Pro. I'm going to purchase the Apple USB-C to USB-A Adaptor today and try that out. If that doesn't work I'll have to take my iPad Pro and MacBook Pro into the Apple store and get them to test it with a USB-C cable that they know works. If my MacBook Pro IS the problem (which is very unlikely) I'll be asking for my money back for the iPad Pro rather than an exchange.

I just wondered if anyone else had encountered the same problem.

Nov 13, 2018 2:59 AM in response to eyedeeuk

Keeping this thread updated just incase anyone else is experiencing similar issues or incase my findings help anyone else.

Turns out the Apple USB-C to USB-A adaptor would never have worked as it's USB-C male to USB-A female, and I needed a USB-C male to USB-A male adaptor. Doh! Should've realised that before I purchased it.

However, I've now tried yet another USB-C to USB-A 3.0 (SS) cable and the iPad Pro doesn't connect to iTunes. The iPad screen just shows the 'Connect to iTunes' instruction forever.

I've fully reset the iPad Pro and started the setup again - just incase. And I've tried every option available to try and get the iPad Pro to connect to iTunes, but it flat out refuses to. So I'm beginning to wonder if the iPad Pro is faulty in more ways than just a damaged screen.

I'll find out tomorrow when the replacement iPad Pro arrives. I've never experienced an issue like this with an Apple product before but I have noticed their quality control has been slipping over the past 3-4 years. My last iPad Pro (2015) arrived with a dark spot on the middle of the LCD screen and my partners 2018 iPad has dust trapped between the plastic cover and the LCD screen. Not having the best luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed tomorrows iPad Pro is a-ok.

Nov 14, 2018 12:10 PM in response to MichelPM

I wish I knew. 😕 Typically Apple have released a new build of iTunes when a new version of iOS is launched but for some reason Macs prior to Mojave have been held back to the existing release. It appears to be the same build that has been available since July, and presumably worked with devices running the iOS 12 beta, so quite what voodoo reinstalling it does is anybody's guess. I just know it usually works. 😉

tt2

Nov 14, 2018 4:02 PM in response to Demo

Thanks very much Demo & turingtest2, that's got it working. Really can't thank you guys enough for the simple fix. 🙂

If only Apple were so helpful. If I'm completely honest I spent over an hour getting progressively frustrated (not that I showed it) by the incompetent care assistant who had herself going round and round in circles. Once I'd explained the situation and repeated all my settings for the third time I realised that there was little to no help coming. I'm very grateful for forums like these - as should Apple be!

Thanks for the advice too MichelPM. I appreciate the input.

Cheers guys! Now to enjoy the new iPad.

iTunes can't see new ipad pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.