Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Replacement not working on iOS 12

I am a big text replacement user and I'm very sad to say that most of my shortcuts are not working. I've tried bring it to the apple store, doing a hard - reset, reinstalling the iOS, logging in and out of iCloud, and nothing seems to work. Anybody else experiencing this with iOS 12 and the iPhone Xs MAX?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 10:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2018 4:02 PM

SOLOUTION !!!!

guys !!! you won't believe it but I just read about a WORK AROUND from a genius contributor which suggested to use the GOOGLE KEYBOARD FOR IOS

I can't believe it but it worked !!!

Thuwbuwbtye link to the conversation. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8614894

At least it will do for now. I hoow tobGid that Apple sorts this out quickly as I'm not keen on using g a third party keyboard on my iPhone.

Good luck xx

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2018 4:02 PM in response to mayorofbayswater

SOLOUTION !!!!

guys !!! you won't believe it but I just read about a WORK AROUND from a genius contributor which suggested to use the GOOGLE KEYBOARD FOR IOS

I can't believe it but it worked !!!

Thuwbuwbtye link to the conversation. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8614894

At least it will do for now. I hoow tobGid that Apple sorts this out quickly as I'm not keen on using g a third party keyboard on my iPhone.

Good luck xx

Nov 24, 2018 10:56 AM in response to eliot16

Having spoken to two really sympathetic Apple Techs ( R...... and D..... ) they have both indicated that the problem lies with texts OVER 120 CHARACTERS..... this appears to be true for me, for sure. All the texts appear on my Text Replacement Lists ( Settings - GENERAL - KEYBOARD - TEXT REPLACEMENT) .... however when i attempt to use them, only the SHORT ones appear and work. All the long ones which have more than 120 characters, do NOT work.

For those of you that use TEXT replacement ( AUTO TEXT on blackberry), you will know what a disaster this upgrade of ios 12.1 has been :-(

I bought a £1000 phone, only to be faced with such a nightmare. I have over 500 Text replacement codes that i use on a daily basis and I am lost without them. I actually left Blackberry when they started to have problems with their software, only to be faced with continual issues with text replacement with Apple. Some of you will remember the issue with text replacement shortcuts that were disappearing on a previous version of ios - though this was EVENTUALLY sorted out by apple eventually.( 18 months to 2 years later !) .... I am praying that they sort it out quickly.

I don't know if this is related, but i also have an issue ( even with ios 11) with Text replacements not working properly when i send a SERIES of text messages in a row.... being in the rental property business, i can easily send off 7 long property details in a text message to client. When i did this i realised that there was a LAG in sending the messages and the text replacement would often NOT WORK - i would have to switch the phone off using the side button a couple of times and then it would work.... its as if there was a RAM or buffer issue ???

Lets hope that enough people highlight this issue so that Apple will prioritise it.

Nov 30, 2018 5:33 PM in response to nospamvinu

I actually do not think that Apple have Limited the number of characters deliberately since all the text replacements are still within the text replacement file, under settings- keyboard, - text replacement.

You can also STILL add additional text replacements that are more than 128 characters.

I’m still hopeful Apple will fix, what I believe to be a bug in the software. Regrettably, this is not the first time that we have had issues with text replacement. Just when we thought it was all over, we are faced with another regrettable an unfortunate situatioN.

Dec 3, 2018 11:41 AM in response to macoy883

Mascot

There is no specific mention from Apple to say that they have put a text limit on this. I would hate to continue to entertain this notion as I certainly don’t want to put ideas in apples had to say that that is acceptable. We all agree that this is totally unacceptable and till date there is nothing to indicate that it is a deliberate action from Apple. If it were a deliberate action done they would’ve told us by now.

Also, it’s not the case because you’re still able to store new text replacements which are there is no specific mention from Apple to say that they have put a text limit on this. I would hate to continue to entertain this notion as I certainly don’t want to put ideas in apples had to say that that is acceptable. We all agree that this is totally unacceptable and till date there is nothing to indicate that it is a deliberate action from Apple. If it were a dinner actioned and they would’ve told us by now.

Also, it’s not the case because you’re still able to store new text replacements which are lather Larger than 128 characters. Secondly you can use Googles “Gboard” keyboard

Dec 27, 2018 3:30 PM in response to eliot16

Good News. I'm happy to say text replacement over 128 characters is again working after the latest update. So it obviously wasn't a deliberate move on Apple's part.

I use text replacement constantly. To be honest, this blip actually forced me to make my oft used blurbs more succinct and to the point, and because I had to break them up into smaller blurbs, I noticed I was personalizing messages for people more. So... thanks for the blip Apple...?

Text Replacement not working on iOS 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.