Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3rd Gen Ipad Pro Problem: Will NOT sync to USB ports!

I bought a new Ipad Pro 12.9" last week and was thrilled. The problem came when i wanted to connect it to my (late) 2011 MacBook pro to sync it with iTunes. I realize the new iPad utilizes the USB-C (thunderbolt 3) port for connectivity and my computer has only USB 2.0 ports as well as the Thunderbolt 1 port available. So i contacted apple to find out if the USB-C to USB adapter they sell on their website would work. They say it would! I purchased it, plugged the adapter into the Ipad Pro's USB-C port, plugged a USB cable into the adapter and the USB cable into my MacBook Pro. Nothing happened. Not only would it not sync/ be recognized by iTunes, the computer itself was unaware anything was even plugged in. Also the Ipad did not charge or recognize it was plugged into a device. This leads me to part 2 of the problem.

I contacted Apple support and after over an hour on the phone with 3 different representatives, they simply had no idea had to resolve the problem and then no conclusive answer, eventually telling me i possibly need a 3rd party adapter or that my computer was considered "vintage" and it will not communicate via USB. Needless to say i suggested perhaps the USB-C (thunderbolt 3) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter might work, they said possibly and recommended going to an apple store which i did. Upon arrival and after describing my situation, there were several interested employees assisting me. Needless to say that did not work either in fact no combinations of cords and adapters did. We then tested the Ipad to sync it with a newer MacBook Air with a built-in USB-C port and it worked. We switched the connection and tried the Ipad with the USB-C to USB adapter and plugged it in to the same MacBook Air and to no surprise it did NOT work.

So it has been tested and concluded that for some reason, Apples brand new flagship Ipad, is not backwards compatible with ANY computer that does not have USB-C ports. This seems absolutely ridiculous as many products on the market function with USB-C to USB adapters as it is bi-directional ports/adapters/technology, the only difference is you will have slower data transfer speeds and likely will not have powered charging (my own speculation about charging). Considering the hardware is available this must be a software related problem, or is this not even a problem at all in apples eyes? Perhaps they simply want everything synced via iCloud and this is a push to force people to utilize there subscription services? Or maybe this is a new problem that is only surfacing now and there will be a software update?

Needless to say I am greatly disappointed as i manually connect and sync all of my devices as i have gigabytes worth of music that i purchased and downloaded prior to iTunes and cannot transfer it via iCloud because of licensing issues (so I'm told). Did i just spend $1600+ (with accessories) on a product that i can partially use? Hopefully there can be some light shed on this issue and a possible answer or resolution in the works.

iPad Pro 12.9 inch, 3rd Gen, Cellular, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2018 3:46 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 14, 2018 3:52 PM in response to LloyddBridges

LloyddBridges wrote:

Apples brand new flagship Ipad, is not backwards compatible with ANY computer that does not have USB-C ports.

This is absolutely not true.

Let's start this over, instead of jumping to an incorrect conclusion.

You have a 2011 MacBook Pro, but you have not told us what version of MacOS (OS X) it is using. Nor have you told us the iTunes version number.

You must use OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) or later to be able to communicate to any iOS 12 device. And you must use the latest iTunes.

This explains how:

If your iOS 12 device isn't recognized by iTunes, you might need to upgrade macOS or iTunes - Apple Support

Nov 14, 2018 4:10 PM in response to LloyddBridges

I think this thread may help you:

iTunes can't see new ipad pro 2018

Fix:

Download the current 12.8 installer for iTunes from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/.

Unlock your iOS device and connect it to USB.

Reinstall iTunes from the .dmg that you've downloaded.

During the installation it should announce that a further software update is required.

Install that and iTunes should see your device.

I had the same issue and the fix in the thread by turingtest2 shared by Demo fixed the issue.

Nov 14, 2018 4:00 PM in response to sberman

This is absolutely true, not only is my software up to date, iTunes up to date, what your missing is that it does not communicate with the computer at all with a USB-C adapter to a USB port. Not only did an apple tech over the phone check everything with me, i went in store and we tried connecting to a brand new MacBook on the floor. Using the USB-C to USB-C cable and pugging directly into the computers USB-C port, the Ipad connected, and was ready to sync to iTunes (set up as new Ipad). But when we used the USB-C to USB adapter and plugged it onto the same computer through its USB port, same problem occurred. Both the Ipad and computer did not even know they were plugged into a device. After a fantastic conversation with the rep today, steps are being taken to submit this issue to the engineers as the reps in store said I am not the only one with this problem.

Nov 14, 2018 4:09 PM in response to sberman

No problem! we were troubleshooting the mac and when we tried multiple adapters on a new in store MacBook we realized that its not solely a problem with my computer (hardware or software) and tried multiple adapters (the same one) to insure that it wasn't a damaged or malfunctioning adapter and it was the same result. The tech thats submitting this to the engineers just called back noting that others have submitted similar requests, so just happy that light is being shed and hope this is simply a software issue and that perhaps a software update will allow for bi-directional data sync across older USB tech. Thanks for the reply though!

Nov 14, 2018 6:31 PM in response to LloyddBridges

I have the same issues as you. The different is I am using a PC not a MAC. Like you, my PC don't have a USB-C ports. So I tried a USB to USB-C cable. That didn't do any good. Like you, I don't even get a tone from Windows that it detected anything had been plugged in. So then I bough the Apple USB-C to USB Adapter. As the Apple Adapter is a Female USB-B plug. So I bough a USB-A to USB-A cable. I plug the USB-C Adapter to my new iPad Pro, and then USB-A to USB-A cable from my PC to the Adapter. Again. Nothing happen. iPad doesn't even see my PC. Again, I tried calling Apple Support, they are useless telling me to check my IOS version and iTune Software Version. What is that good for if my PC don't even see the iPad plugged in?

So for now, I am trying to buy an PCI Express USB-C Card from Amazon. That will give me 2 USB-C Ports for my desktop PC. I see how this goes. Should arrive in few days.

Nov 15, 2018 6:38 AM in response to eyedeeuk

Thanks for that possible solution! I submitted thone instructions to the senior tech advisor working my case. She recommended not to try that as it is not an “approved” method and could potentially cause other issues. I agree that all though that option might work it seems like a over-done work around where as I’d like to see a tested simplified solution from apples engineers. I believe that the Method mentions shows this is a software related issue with the Ipad itself so hopefully it is something that can be fixed with a software update, without the need for buying multiple adapters etc.

Nov 15, 2018 6:55 AM in response to LloyddBridges

I completely understand the concern, but in this instance I don't believe it will result in any negative side effects. Since performing the 'fix' myself I've tested iTunes non-stop for the past few hours using all my iPad's and iPhones to backup, transfer or restore date. I've not experienced any issues whatsoever and, given that the fix involves using a legitimate release of iTunes and a driver install (performed automatically during the install of iTunes) that is supplied by Apple, I can't see there being any issues with future use. When Apple release a newer version of iTunes it's likely that the current files will be overwritten too, so any update supplied by Apple that officially fixes the issue should work perfectly well too.

Apple will always draw caution to work-arounds that they haven't authorised, but seeing as Apple miss bugs and make mistakes during testing all-to-often I don't listen to absolutely everything that they advise when it comes to their products; just most things! 😉

Nov 19, 2018 3:04 PM in response to eyedeeuk

Hello! I wanted to update this forum about the results of my experience. The senior tech support advisor had contacted me informing me that the engineers were interested in collecting data/run logs from both my computer and my iPad when i connected it. We went to perform this test and lo and behold, the iPad began to sync! Note, i did not perform any updates to my computer or tablet since I've had this issue, also i was using a 3rd party USBC to USB adapter when attempting this connection, the same adapter that did not work the first several attempts (also used the apple adapter with no luck).

Needless to say, they are thinking this was a glitch likely in the iPad and perhaps rebooting the iPad resolved this issue (i never thought to do that ironically as that would have been a step i took). We believe it to be an iPad glitch as the iPad did not connect to a brand new in-store MacBook Air w/ USB to USBC adapter although it did connect to the same computer USBC- to the computers USBC port. I am very happy that it is now working, if anyone is interested in which adapter I am using I will gladly list it. Note that the 3rd party adapter is in fact allowing data transfer as well as charging the iPad (although im sure its at a very low amperage).

I hope that this thread may have helped others experiencing the same issue and thank you all for the replies!

3rd Gen Ipad Pro Problem: Will NOT sync to USB ports!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.