Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Audio When Importing Mini DV Footage (iMovie, FCPX, QuickTime)

It seems the problems in this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8201328 have carried over into macOS Mojave. I've been trying to import Mini DV footage using FCP X, iMovie, and QuickTime and I cannot get sound with any method. I've tried two different cameras, a Canon ZR 850 and a Canon ZR 80 and I get the same result. I've tried both High Sierra and Mojave and I'm having no luck. I used an old Mac Pro (2010) from work and my 2017 MacBook Pro 15. It seems no matter what I do, the sound will not import with the footage. I used my MacBook Pro last year to import a little bit of Mini DV footage and it worked just fine. I believe I was already running High Sierra then, but it was probably 10.13.0. In some update to High Sierra, it appears Apple has ruined the ability to import this footage. I finally have the time to get all my old tapes archived, and now I can't. Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS Mojave (10.14.1), null

Posted on Nov 16, 2018 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 7:28 AM

I have the identical cameras and the identical problem. The Canon ZR 850 and Canon ZR 80 have been removed from the Apple compatible camera list for FCPX and iMovie which is why (so I'm told) that we are not getting audio during the import. However, I have found a solution with Quicktime, but the import steps must be done in a certain order or the same problem will occur. 1) Open Quicktime and select where the file is to be saved, but do not yet open a new window for recording 2) Start the video playing on the Canon camera. Do not pause it....it has to be running before you open the Quicktime recording window. 3) Under File, click on New Movie Recording 3) Turn up the volume 4) hit the record button.

This is working ever time for me. Good luck!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2018 7:28 AM in response to Tyler Warren

I have the identical cameras and the identical problem. The Canon ZR 850 and Canon ZR 80 have been removed from the Apple compatible camera list for FCPX and iMovie which is why (so I'm told) that we are not getting audio during the import. However, I have found a solution with Quicktime, but the import steps must be done in a certain order or the same problem will occur. 1) Open Quicktime and select where the file is to be saved, but do not yet open a new window for recording 2) Start the video playing on the Canon camera. Do not pause it....it has to be running before you open the Quicktime recording window. 3) Under File, click on New Movie Recording 3) Turn up the volume 4) hit the record button.

This is working ever time for me. Good luck!

Nov 18, 2018 12:10 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

I just attempted to do it in iMovie as well and it seems to work the same as in QuickTime. It might be a solution for some, but I really don't want to lose the beginning of my tapes. If Apple cannot get a resolution on this soon, I may have to buy a FireWire card for my PC and do it in Windows. Who would have thought the day would come where I couldn't import DV footage on a Mac.

Nov 17, 2018 7:47 PM in response to Tyler Warren

So, an update. I went through the arduous task of downgrading the Mac Pro I'm using down to 10.12. I'm still not getting audio. I'm really at a loss now. I know I never had this problem before High Sierra. There must be some security update or something in the background that is causing this. I guess I will have to try using Adobe Premiere. This is ridiculous.

No Audio When Importing Mini DV Footage (iMovie, FCPX, QuickTime)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.