Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp refuses to install Windows 10

"Need 64-bit Windows 10 installation USB drive or DVD."

Boot Camp only supports 64-bit Windows 8 installation. Please use a USB Drive or DVD which contains 64-bit Windows 10. Yes, that was not a typo.

I've never encountered this problem until I've updated to Mojave, and I've been using the same exact .iso to reinstall windows via BootCamp every time I needed to. I've tried modifying the plist, using Rufus to create the bootable drive but nothing.

Macbook Pro 9,2, if anyone was wondering. Please do help, this is really **** frustrating.User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave (10.14), 13" Mid-2012 Core i5

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 5:41 AM

Similar questions

19 replies

Nov 17, 2018 6:50 AM in response to FrozenTear

If

• You use a USB2 Flash drive and an ISO from Microsoft, BC Assistant will build an installer for you, or,
  • insert a W10 DVD and connect a USB2 Flash drive, BC Assistant will build an installer for you.

If you check the Install option, it will also partition and try to install windows, provided you have a USB2 Flash installer built using the two options outlined.

Dec 20, 2018 2:08 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T, sorry for the late entry into this thread. I was running Windows 10 (probably 1803) fine on Boot Camp and Parallels. When on Parallels, 1809 came up as an option this week so I installed it. Works fine in Parallels but now I can't boot using Boot Camp.

My Windows/Boot Camp partition is NTFS so the 4GB limit shouldn't apply.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Dec 20, 2018 7:40 PM in response to Loner T

I normally boot into Windows using the Option/Alt key. I see the Windows partition and the boot starts, but dies rather quickly with no visible message.

As for System Preference/Startup Disk, I only see the Mac partition.

If I go into Boot Camp Assistant, it says I already have a Boot Camp partition and offers to remove it and Restore to a Single Partition.

Dec 20, 2018 8:03 PM in response to Edward Danley

I normally boot into Windows using the Option/Alt key. I see the Windows partition and the boot starts, but dies rather quickly with no visible message.

Do you see a light black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner?

As for System Preference/Startup Disk, I only see the Mac partition.

If Parallels is running, Quit Parallels, and check if the BC/Windows partition shows up in Finder.

If I go into Boot Camp Assistant, it says I already have a Boot Camp partition and offers to remove it and Restore to a Single Partition.

This is normal and expected behavior on a Mac which has the disk already partitioned.

Dec 21, 2018 9:03 PM in response to Loner T

When I tried to start in Boot Camp and it failed a couple more times, I gave up, went back to the Mac side and Parallels and Windows won't even start there. But there it did offer me the option to do a Feature rollback (via Advanced options). I took advantage and did the rollback. The problem is that it did rollback to the beginning of 1803 so now it's asking for all of the (cumulative) updates again.

Have I said I'm glad I spend most of my time on the Mac side? ;)

Boot Camp refuses to install Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.