Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (late 2014) MAJOR ISSUES

Hi guys!

So as the title says I am having some issues. This happened awhile ago and I have already removed and did a backup of my hard drive.

This happened before I took it apart, I have since put it back together.

basically, I turn my mac mini on, its light turns on, the fan starts running at an average speed (can barely hear it) and then the monitor lights up...but nothing happens. no chime, no boot.

I have done every reset in the book, SMC, PRAM, NVRAM, etc. I even took it to a apple genius bar...they did the same thing I did, I said I would go home and put my data on my other computer(they hated that suggestion but oh well, i did it anyway XD) So anyway, my deductive reasoning brings me to a graphics issue, I have tried HDMI and both thunderbolt, along with different monitors. Any ideas? Its not a life or death, I am just curious if I can fix it.

Thanks for the help 🙂

Mac mini (Late 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 1:37 PM

Deductive reasoning has failed. In most cases - but not all - the lack of any chime after NVRAM/PRAM reset speaks to the fact the Mac is not completing the POST (power-on self-test). Most of the time this means the logic board has failed, and is not a graphics card / display problem. Without seeing / testing the Mini, this is what is most likely with the information you have provided.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2018 1:37 PM in response to JoshTheMacGuy

Deductive reasoning has failed. In most cases - but not all - the lack of any chime after NVRAM/PRAM reset speaks to the fact the Mac is not completing the POST (power-on self-test). Most of the time this means the logic board has failed, and is not a graphics card / display problem. Without seeing / testing the Mini, this is what is most likely with the information you have provided.

Nov 19, 2018 9:37 AM in response to JoshTheMacGuy

A small percentage of logic boards die from 'natural causes' - e.g. manufacturing defects - but usually instead of jumping in the abyss, most logic boards are pushed. Which is to say, most logic boards are 'murdered'.

Some external force - usually electrical - acts upon the logic board and forces the demise. It could be static electricity from not having a proper static-free workstation set up when one disassembles the Mac. It could be a static shock from touching a component without being properly grounded. It could be a spike in voltage coming into the Mac from the mains. The causes are varied, but all of them are overwhelming to a logic board / processor that can't withstand most 1.5v overages. Hit it with 10K volts of static, and well... it's like the proverbial swatting flies with atom bombs.

Mac Mini (late 2014) MAJOR ISSUES

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.