Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing / Permissions nightmare

Hi,

i have a small office with 4 computers (3 imacs and a pc).

I want to share a folder, on my iMAC with all of them. I need them to have read and write permissions inside that folder.

This sound simple, and i've searched a lot on the web, but i cant find nothing relevent about it and i've been on a sharing/permissions nightmare

Now, the questions:

1. Wich type of folder is best to share: a random one or my public folder?

2. When i share a folder (on the preferences "sharing" panel), it comes by default sharing with me, "Staff" and "everyone". Who is "staff"? Who is "everyone"?

3. If "everyone" is not enough to share with the other 3 computers, do i have to create on my machine the same users (login) in the other computers so i can add them to the folder?

4. If so, do i have add each user to that folder or can i make a group and just add the group to that folder?

4. I tried point 3, adding each user/login to the folder. The users can access the folder and add files. However, the file a user creates comes by default with permissions only related to himself. The others dont have permissions to do nothing and than a must create permissions manually. How do i fix this?

Big Thanks.

JB

(3 Imacs 2013 High Sierra and a windows 10 laptop, connected by LAN)

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Nov 22, 2018 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2018 2:42 AM

File Sharing in a Mac is essentially logging into the Mac and using it remotely.

The best place to share is in the /Users/Shared folder. You can make a new folder inside of that or just share it out. It depends on what you want to make available to others.

Staff is the group that all local users are part of.

everyone is the Apple name for the Unix POSIX permission for Others. Others are users who are not the owner of the file and not in the same group as the file.

You can make sharing only users that gives them a username and password, but no login account. They can access whatever you give them access to in Sharing.

4. is your best bet if you have multiple users. You can create sharing only users and put them in the group.

You have to fix the ownership problem with Access Control Lists (ACLs).

You can add this entry to the folder so that users can edit any file created by any other in the group:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/5689/permissions-for-new-files-in-shar ed-directory

Instead of using staff like they did, I would create a new group in Users & Groups and use that group name instead. Also, for the folder you are sharing, set the group to the new group name. You can do that in Finder, Get Info. Delete the staff group (or whatever it is in the subfolder you create), then add your new group.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2018 2:42 AM in response to jbucho

File Sharing in a Mac is essentially logging into the Mac and using it remotely.

The best place to share is in the /Users/Shared folder. You can make a new folder inside of that or just share it out. It depends on what you want to make available to others.

Staff is the group that all local users are part of.

everyone is the Apple name for the Unix POSIX permission for Others. Others are users who are not the owner of the file and not in the same group as the file.

You can make sharing only users that gives them a username and password, but no login account. They can access whatever you give them access to in Sharing.

4. is your best bet if you have multiple users. You can create sharing only users and put them in the group.

You have to fix the ownership problem with Access Control Lists (ACLs).

You can add this entry to the folder so that users can edit any file created by any other in the group:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/5689/permissions-for-new-files-in-shar ed-directory

Instead of using staff like they did, I would create a new group in Users & Groups and use that group name instead. Also, for the folder you are sharing, set the group to the new group name. You can do that in Finder, Get Info. Delete the staff group (or whatever it is in the subfolder you create), then add your new group.

Nov 22, 2018 3:47 PM in response to jbucho

Now, the questions:

1. Wich type of folder is best to share: a random one or my public folder?

What every you like.

2. When i share a folder (on the preferences "sharing" panel), it comes by default sharing with me, "Staff" and "everyone". Who is "staff"? Who is "everyone"?

every macos user has a user id. Every user is a member of a group. Everyone means any user on your system. This stuff my only apply to local users.

User uploaded file

You need to click on options to see the screen below.

first off, If you want to share with windows you need to user SMB. You may use SMB for macs too.

User uploaded file

Nov 23, 2018 2:47 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks Barney, maybe you can't remember but we've talked about it in other discussion, and maybe i didn't adress the questions the right way. I got stuck with the ACLs scripts.

I was mistaking Public Folder with Shared folder, i didn't understand what "everyone" or "staff" meant.

Now it was clear and i finally got to shared my work the right way.

Big thanks!

Sharing / Permissions nightmare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.