Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage is extremely slow since I downloaded Mohave.

Hi imessage is working on my iMac (2015), but it is VERY slow. It used to be almost instant and great. What's up with that and can I do anything about it?

iMac, iOS 10.3.1, 10.11.6, not 10.3.1 (is that all?)

Posted on Nov 29, 2018 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2018 9:20 PM

With imessage open, go to

Menu- messages- preferences -iMessages - sign out.

quit iMessage. Relaunch and sign back into iMessage.

I don’t think is age of computer. I have both 2009 and 2013 iMacs ( the latter runs Mojave and imessage is fine and 2009 running High Sierra has no problem With iMessage)

3 replies

Dec 1, 2018 6:31 AM in response to juliefromhighland

Greetings, juliefromhighland.

I see that the Messages application on your iMac has slowed down considerably since upgrading to macOS Mojave. I'm happy to help.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and test how Messages responds. Afterwards, reboot normally and log into your own user account and test the issue again. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test a new user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if its system wide. You'll need to set up Messages in this new user account in order to test.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Dec 4, 2018 9:00 PM in response to i_rina

Thanks for your advice. I tried it, but when I used safe mode the problem was still there. Could it have anything to do with the age of my computer? My last iMac, before this one, was a 2009 model. It became so slow that it was useless by about 2015. I thought that Apple was taking steps to not build obsolescence into their products, but maybe that is not the case?

imessage is extremely slow since I downloaded Mohave.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.