Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

People album in Photos o/s Mojave

Second time of writing this, as the first time, I scrolled down, tried to edit 'Product' and lost my post (I think!)

I have recently uploaded a lot of photos. I know that Photos works in the background identifying new faces. I also know that if I click on a person's album, I can find new faces to confirm. Can you please tell me where I go to find people that have not yet been identified, and also, is there a way to confirm people without clicking on each individual person's album? This seems a very long winded way to go about it, so I am obviously missing something. Many thanks in advance for your knowledge.😉

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-Inch, Mid 2015), macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 12:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 2:03 AM

There is no longer an album of unnamed people. The album of unnamed faces vanished with Photos 3.0 on High Sierra, when , Apple made it impossible to remove any automatically unnamed faces at all. It would be like searching for a needle in a haystack to find the unnamed faces that we want to name among the thousands of faces of strangers in the background or statues or paintings. Since we can no longer reject any uninteresting faces, the face recognition is just adding a few selected persons to the people album. It will get you started with the albums of people, that have been automatically recognized as the same person in at least fifteen separate photos.

The new workflow to name more photos is to open these existing albums and to use the "Confirm additional faces" option. And if we want to add more people to the People album, we name a few faces of this person by starting from a photo of this person.

"View > Show faces name" will draw a circle around each detected face while you are viewing photos enlarged.

Just type a name below the circle, if you happen to come a cross a person you want to add to the People album. I would start by looking at photos from an event like a meeting or family party, where we met some of the people that we want to name.

You can try to create an album of unnamed faces as a smart album with the rule

Person is not %

It will show any photo with no named person.

User uploaded file

But it will include all photos with no face at all. It is just looking for photos without named people.

I am using two additional keywords.

When I come across photos without people in them (nature photos or buildings) I add the keyword "No_People". And if there are unknown persons, I add a keyword "Strangers".

My smart album looks like this:

User uploaded file

This way I have to deal with the nature photos without people and the strangers only once. After tagging them, they will no longer bother me.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2018 2:03 AM in response to computermum

There is no longer an album of unnamed people. The album of unnamed faces vanished with Photos 3.0 on High Sierra, when , Apple made it impossible to remove any automatically unnamed faces at all. It would be like searching for a needle in a haystack to find the unnamed faces that we want to name among the thousands of faces of strangers in the background or statues or paintings. Since we can no longer reject any uninteresting faces, the face recognition is just adding a few selected persons to the people album. It will get you started with the albums of people, that have been automatically recognized as the same person in at least fifteen separate photos.

The new workflow to name more photos is to open these existing albums and to use the "Confirm additional faces" option. And if we want to add more people to the People album, we name a few faces of this person by starting from a photo of this person.

"View > Show faces name" will draw a circle around each detected face while you are viewing photos enlarged.

Just type a name below the circle, if you happen to come a cross a person you want to add to the People album. I would start by looking at photos from an event like a meeting or family party, where we met some of the people that we want to name.

You can try to create an album of unnamed faces as a smart album with the rule

Person is not %

It will show any photo with no named person.

User uploaded file

But it will include all photos with no face at all. It is just looking for photos without named people.

I am using two additional keywords.

When I come across photos without people in them (nature photos or buildings) I add the keyword "No_People". And if there are unknown persons, I add a keyword "Strangers".

My smart album looks like this:

User uploaded file

This way I have to deal with the nature photos without people and the strangers only once. After tagging them, they will no longer bother me.

People album in Photos o/s Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.