Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod battery messed up.

So, I have the 6th gen iPod Touch. When it turns on after being fully shot off, it reads that the battery is at 1%. When charging, it takes only half an hour to an hour to get to "99%" from 20% or less. The battery reads 12% even when it's about to die. If It says it's at 35%, it may really be at 40-60%; that's what it says when I plug it in, at least. generally, it takes one to four hours to drain it to "20%" from 99% or so, but can take up to an hour or more to drain from "20%" to 12, then die. and when it reads the the battery is dead (it won't turn on and show the "charge me" symbol), plugging it in for 10-30 seconds will turn it on, and it will show 12-13%, and it will die in a few seconds.

I tried to drain it to "0%," and back to 100% to try to calibrate it, but it hasn't worked so far. Any ideas on what to do, where to go, or who to contact (Non-Apple repair and technicians, such as the Geek Squad, are okay as well), please let me know.

Thank you.

iPod touch, iOS 12.1, 6th generation iPod Touch

Posted on Dec 5, 2018 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2018 8:37 AM

Make arrangements with Apple to have the battery replaced.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Batteries - Service and Recycling - Apple

Similar questions

9 replies

Dec 5, 2018 4:59 PM in response to Jacob55555

See the second link in my original post. 

There is no such thing as calibrating a battery. Apple used to suggest that, at least once a month, you let the battery drain until the device shut itself off then charged it fully. This was to calibrate the battery sensor in the phone. But Apple stopped recommending that years ago. What you're describing sounds like a failing battery. The only way to fix that is by replacing the battery. 

Dec 5, 2018 5:47 PM in response to Jacob55555

If you take it to a Apple genius bar(scheduled appointment) they then will deem if the battery will indeed replaced. $79. Or if you call Apple support over the phone. If you choose the option to send in the device it's $79 + $6.95 shipping. They will send out a pre-paid box to send the device in to them. They will replace the battery and send the device back.

Dec 7, 2018 12:08 PM in response to Maxneeodz

Apple is offering a deal on iPhone batteries because people got their knickers in a twist because Apple slowed down phones with aging batteries under certain circumstances in order to keep them from shutting off. Despite the fact it made perfect sense, it became a public relations problem so, Apple cut the price on the battery.

As the iPods were never throttled, it was never an issue.

Dec 7, 2018 12:42 PM in response to Maxneeodz

The batteries are much different that the one's in iPhones. The battery for iPod is much thinner than the ones for the later model iPhone's such as the iPhoneSE, like the one I have. The issues that Apple was having with the batteries only applies to the later model iPhone's. I was inquiring about it yesterday when on the phone with Apple. They will not honor the same battery replacement as they do with later model iPhone's. I would suggest searching for someone local that does battery replacements for phones. Call them and ask if they will do one for a iPod. I just sent my iPod6thgen in to Apple to have the battery replaced.

iPod battery messed up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.