Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your system is infected with 3 viruses!" Follow-Up

So i recently got the scam virus described in this page: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7861498?answerId=31391371022.

Unfortunately, I went along with the download and installation, which involved me entering my admin password, but when the program took me to a web page requesting payment, I got suspicious and found the above page.

Before I did anything else I changed my password, uninstalled the program, and deleted the pkg from my computer. Then I found this article: https://macsecurity.net/view/168-your-mac-is-infected-with-3-viruses-popup-alert-removal.

I followed the instructions to the best of my ability except that (1) I didn't know what anything in the Activity Monitor was and the items kept changing order on their own, so I just cancelled the items that looked REALLY weird, which weren't many, and (2) when I uninstalled the program prior to finding the article, I was wary of the request for an admin password and declined (I'm pretty sure I didn't press "Cancel" but I think there was a third option.). I checked later while following the instructions in the article and couldn't find the program under "Applications."

I plan on activating Freshmac when I am able, but is there something else I should do in addition? Are there certain things the steps I referenced do that I can go back and do even though the instructions are meant to be in order? Thoughts? Suggestions? Please answer all questions and thank you for listening.

Posted on Jan 30, 2019 2:55 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jan 30, 2019 3:20 PM in response to NineAlligators

You'd have to be a bit out of your mind to install Freshmac. I went to their site and it automatically downloaded their garbage to my Mac. Not a big deal since all I had to do was delete the installer package.

Freshmac is as big a scam as MacKeeper, claiming to have found a ridiculous number of "problems" when run. Yes, there are lots of reviews on the Internet claiming how great it is, and they're all fake.

Looking at its interface, it's practically a clone of known, scam AV software.

And you randomly quit processes in Activity Monitor?! There are dozens of processes that use names that mean nothing to the user because you aren't supposed to looking there in the first place if you don't know what they're for. There are thousands of cryptically named files and folders installed by the OS and legitimate third party software. Did you root around the drive and delete tons of items you thought were suspicious?

You seem to be determined to make your Mac unusable in any manner possible.

"Your system is infected with 3 viruses!" Follow-Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.