Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix closes sesion everytime

Netflix makes me put my username and password everytime I start the app.

7 days ago, and since I first had the app, it remained logged in, but not anymore.

It is very frustrating and a waste of time. Both on iPhone and Mac it keeps logged in, but not on apple tv.

Apple TV 3, 8

Posted on Mar 17, 2019 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2019 6:29 AM

I am having the same issue with my gen 3 (but not my 4K, at least yet). I followed the Netflix guidance to sign in and out of my iTunes account. My device did not have 2 factor authentication.

Yesterday, I had a "chat" with a netflix person. They parroted the advice about signing in and out. And, parroted the advice to contact Apple for help with 2 factor authentication.

I had a live conversation with an Apple rep. They had me go through the steps to confirm the problem. They checked me out on 2 factor authentication including using the code with the password. Same issue. Their counsel was to contact Netflix again and talk to a senior adviser.

I recontacted Netflix again. After 20 minutes of the same parroting, she started asking me to supply the error code. It took me about 5 repeats of "their is no error code, that is not the problem, the problem is the constant signing out" for her to stop asking me for it. After conferring with the "Experts", she came back to tell me this is a known issue and it is affecting other subscribers, too. The "engineers are working on it and, in the meantime, please be patient."

Seems like there is nothing we can do on our end except complain. They messed up and the reps are parrots and nothing more.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2019 6:29 AM in response to untechie

I am having the same issue with my gen 3 (but not my 4K, at least yet). I followed the Netflix guidance to sign in and out of my iTunes account. My device did not have 2 factor authentication.

Yesterday, I had a "chat" with a netflix person. They parroted the advice about signing in and out. And, parroted the advice to contact Apple for help with 2 factor authentication.

I had a live conversation with an Apple rep. They had me go through the steps to confirm the problem. They checked me out on 2 factor authentication including using the code with the password. Same issue. Their counsel was to contact Netflix again and talk to a senior adviser.

I recontacted Netflix again. After 20 minutes of the same parroting, she started asking me to supply the error code. It took me about 5 repeats of "their is no error code, that is not the problem, the problem is the constant signing out" for her to stop asking me for it. After conferring with the "Experts", she came back to tell me this is a known issue and it is affecting other subscribers, too. The "engineers are working on it and, in the meantime, please be patient."

Seems like there is nothing we can do on our end except complain. They messed up and the reps are parrots and nothing more.

Mar 17, 2019 1:35 PM in response to AegonII

Sign out of your Apple ID and back in

If you have 2 factor authentication you will need to do things differently when using an older device, with the password code entered together. To make sure you don't exceed the time limit enter the password, then request the code, and add it to the end of the password

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Mar 17, 2019 2:55 PM in response to AegonII

2 factor authentication can only be disabled if it had recently been enabled, within 2 weeks, and does in fact make the account less secure as well as disable certain functions. If you are 100% sure that it's disabled (not recommended) then you will need to contact Netflix for further assistance.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Can I turn off two-factor authentication after I’ve turned it on?

If you already use two-factor authentication, you can no longer turn it off. Certain features in the latest versions of iOS and macOS require this extra level of security, which is designed to protect your information. If you recently updated your account, you can unenroll for two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings. Keep in mind, this makes your account less secure and means that you can't use features that require higher security.

Mar 17, 2019 2:49 PM in response to vazandrew

OK, not a real app, just the preset Netflix “icon” I have on my apple tv main menu.

I disabled the 2 factor authentication some time ago I don’t remember why (it had to do with a problem with some other thing). Never had anything asking me to enable it in order to work.

So, Netflix says it’s because of that 2 factor authentication, but:

• I have it disabled.
  • I already had it disabled a week ago when it worked fine.
  • I didn’t change a thing, and now it logs out everytime.

What should I do?

Activate the 2 factor authentication?

Thanks for your time and answers! :)

Mar 17, 2019 4:42 PM in response to vazandrew

Yup, understood, that’s why I turned it on again.

Right now:

• 2 factor enabled.
  • I signed out from appleID.
  • Signed in again adding the verification code at the end.
  • Open netflix, log in.
  • Close netflix.
  • Open it again, it asks again for the user/pass.

And all this happened one random day this week.

Any other solution out there?

Mar 17, 2019 2:16 PM in response to vazandrew

I already signed out of Apple ID and back, restored the apple tv...

I don’t have the 2 factor authentication on.

It is not a new device, neither a new netflix account.

The thing is, I didn’t change anything, I’ve been using netflix on this apple tv almost since netflix started, but suddenly one day it started to log out everytime I close the app.

Any more help please???

Mar 17, 2019 2:19 PM in response to AegonII

The 3rd gen doesn't run apps, just preset content sent via server.

The 2 factor authentication would be with your Apple ID, and it would be very surprising if it wasn't as not only would be less secure but there would be features that were unavailable and it would be prompted to enable.

This is an issue that is purely on the older Apple TV's and as Netflix points out has to do with 2 factor authentication

Mar 17, 2019 3:08 PM in response to vazandrew

I am pretty sure, as I was the one who turned it off, and in the settings menu, it is disabled.

I’ve turned it on (as you say it is THAT risky, honestly I find it kind of annoying to have to type codes looking from one device to another) to see if something changes, but nope, I still get kicked out of my netflix account as soon as I close the “app” (not real app) on the apple tv.

Any other solution?

Mar 17, 2019 3:12 PM in response to AegonII

I didn't say it was risky to turn it on, rather that it was not recommended/risky to have it disabled.

If you are trying to sign in with 2 factor authentication you need to use the instructions I provided above, as you are using an older device (enter the password, request code, add it to password)

As I said, anything further would require Netflix support.

Mar 17, 2019 4:31 PM in response to AegonII

Did you find a fix for this? This just started happening on my two older AppleTVs (3rd generations) but no problem on my 4th generation. I've wasted an insane amount of time trying to figure this out today. Restarted, reset, signed out and in, etc etc. Another annoying thing that has happened at the same time is that my All Movies are no longer listed in alphabetical order! So that, and the Netflix constantly logging out, both started happening last night.

Mar 19, 2019 12:36 PM in response to Mitch_JG

I have the same exact problem with my 2 AppleTV 3 since march 15th and no issue whatsoever with the AppleTV 4, my iPad, iPhone, Android tablet, Mac... Since I'm not alone with this issue and all other devices are working fine, it really looks like they updated the Netflix builtin app on AppleTV 3 and broke something while doing it.... Thank you for your time Mitch, it seems like all we have to do now is wait for the fix to come...

Netflix, It would have been nice to get an ETA...

Netflix closes sesion everytime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.