Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased Movies List Suddenly Out of Alphabetical Order on Apple TV 3

We have had an Apple TV 3 since they were released (2012). Aside from a lack of options (custom movie categories, a recently played list, series movies not showing up under "Related", etc.) we've found it a very useful way to watch content. However, last week (~3/18/2019) our purchased movies list seems to have resorted itself from alphabetical to what appears to be by purchase date. It does not matter what category we go to, all categories and the "All" list are sorted by purchase date anymore—suddenly and without warning or reason.

We have 360 movies and finding what we want is now a challenge where it previously was not. We cannot find any setting that allows us to sort the purchased movie list alphabetically again or otherwise. Since the purchased movie list is the only list from which we can access our movie library we are not sure what to do.

We have tried each of the following several times in various orders over the last week to no avail:

• Restart Apple TV
  • Reset settings on Apple TV
  • Reset Apple TV to factory defaults (restore defaults, download and install latest OS, setup as new device)
  • Sign in and out and in again from iTunes account on Apple TV waiting various lengths of time between signing out and in again (up to 1 minute)
  • Alternate between signing in and out on iCloud and iTunes accounts on Apple TV
  • Unplug Apple TV for various lengths of time up to 1 day
  • Purchase another movie to see if the sort order would update
  • Holding down each button the remote while on every movie or setting screen to see if sorting is a hidden option (it's not)

We have also tried signing out and back into iCloud and iTunes on all of our devices thinking one of them was pushing a bad setting. I noticed in iTunes on our MacBook that the purchased movies list defaults to ordering by date purchased. In iTunes I can change it to be alphabetical but the setting does not hold and restarting iTunes shows purchased movies sorted by purchased date again. Regardless, the setting does nothing for our Apple TV.

We have the latest operating systems on all of our Apple devices as of this writing and made no updates when the change occurred (actually occurred while using the Apple TV):

• Apple TV 3 v8.4.2
  • macOS v10.14.3
  • iOS v12.1.4
  • Apple Watch 3 watchOS v5.1.3

In addition, I recall previously seeing a Wish List ordering option in the Apple TV menu which is no longer to be found. We cannot create playlists for movies on our Apple TV. Apple requires you download movies first before adding them to a playlist. Apple TV 3 has no storage and our MacBook has insufficient drive space to download our entire 360 (and growing) movie collection making playlists impossible. Since we cannot use our portable MacBook as a dedicated home movie server we are at a loss of what to do.

Hopefully we've overlooked something obvious. Where is the sort option for purchased movies in the Apple TV? Why might it have changed to sorting by purchase date rather than alphabetical and how do we get it to sort alphabetically again?

Thanks much.

Apple TV

Posted on Mar 24, 2019 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 5:46 AM

The Purchased Movies list for my Apple TV 3 has been reset to alphabetical ordering again as of 3/4/2019 too. Although I can't be sure that submitting the report (with a link to this thread) is what triggered the change it's worth noting that it was fixed within a day or so of submitting that report after a few weeks of the jumbled ordering.

Because Apple continues to prevent users from sorting their Purchased Movie lists in the Apple TV interface it seems users are at the mercy of support to sort them. As such, for future cases where Apple inadvertently/neglectfully/decidedly jumbles the sort order of every user's list please submit a report to Apple at https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html to let them know.

Thanks to everyone for commiserating with me.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2019 5:46 AM in response to Frumpy

The Purchased Movies list for my Apple TV 3 has been reset to alphabetical ordering again as of 3/4/2019 too. Although I can't be sure that submitting the report (with a link to this thread) is what triggered the change it's worth noting that it was fixed within a day or so of submitting that report after a few weeks of the jumbled ordering.

Because Apple continues to prevent users from sorting their Purchased Movie lists in the Apple TV interface it seems users are at the mercy of support to sort them. As such, for future cases where Apple inadvertently/neglectfully/decidedly jumbles the sort order of every user's list please submit a report to Apple at https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html to let them know.

Thanks to everyone for commiserating with me.

Apr 3, 2019 10:21 AM in response to Momma2Five

We have since updated our previously listed devices to their latest OS releases as of 4/3/2019 and we're still having the issue (Purchased Movies not in alphabetical order with no sorting option).

Since others are having the same trouble I have reported the issue as a software problem at https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html. It might help if others do this as well.

Mar 28, 2019 11:13 PM in response to Frumpy

We are having the same issue on our AppleTV as well. There does not seem to be a hidden function within the interface/remote/buttons, and various resets and recycles does nothing to bring the library back to an intelligent order (alpha). This kind of nonsense happens when there are 8,931 updates every few months.....can we just get back to basics again, please, Apple? #following

Mar 30, 2019 8:48 AM in response to Frumpy

Me too!

Original poster mentions problem starting on 3/18. The only other post is dated 3/24, today is 3/30 and I've had the problem for nearly 2 weeks so my guess is whatever happened 3/18 is the root of the problem. This is the only thread I've been able to find on this topic which makes me think it may be a while before the problem is solved. More people posting that they too are experiencing this may speed up the fix.

I will remain hopeful and definitely report back with any findings.

Apr 4, 2019 5:31 AM in response to mav335

Well, good morning everyone. I would just like to announce some good news. I am officially alphabetical! As of approximately 08:15 EST. I was navigating the remote left handed, which I do not do well. I made some mistakes, like too many presses DOWN when I wanted to move RIGHT.

Starting at the MAIN screen I selected "Movies" (screen opened to "Top Movies")

I moved LEFT to "Purchased" which displayed movies in order or recently purchased first

I overclicked DOWN and passed "All Movies" going down to "Action & Adventure" (the screen refreshed),

I next went back UP to All Movies and when the screen refreshed this time the order changed order from where its been (most recently purchased) to alphabetical.

Hopefully this has been corrected for you as well. Just a note, my Apple TV Software still reads "7.2.2 (8015)" this has not changed

Purchased Movies List Suddenly Out of Alphabetical Order on Apple TV 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.