Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail keeps going offline in Apple Mail

Since upgrading to Mojave 10.14.4, Gmail continuously goes offline in Apple Mail. Only solution so far is to close Mail and restart. After restarting, Gmail appears to be working normally. Has something changed in the way Mail works with Gmail or has Google changed something?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2019 1:12 PM

POSSIBLE FIX!

So today I got really annoyed by this, again... So I called Apple support and I think they might of helped to me get rid of this.

Here's what I did:

1 Remove all Gmail accounts from Mail

2 Add a new network location and then renew the DHCP lease

3 Delete "com.apple.mail-shared" in Library/Preferences/

4 Restart and add my Gmail accounts

I can't really tell which of these is the actual fix, but I'm now 7h later and did not experienced this at all. Fingers crossed!

52 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2019 1:12 PM in response to dillonfromCStat

POSSIBLE FIX!

So today I got really annoyed by this, again... So I called Apple support and I think they might of helped to me get rid of this.

Here's what I did:

1 Remove all Gmail accounts from Mail

2 Add a new network location and then renew the DHCP lease

3 Delete "com.apple.mail-shared" in Library/Preferences/

4 Restart and add my Gmail accounts

I can't really tell which of these is the actual fix, but I'm now 7h later and did not experienced this at all. Fingers crossed!

May 2, 2019 6:01 PM in response to d18ge

Did you look in the hidden ~Library folder? That com.apple.mail-shared file is in the Library that pops up when you press the Option key while looking in the "Go" menu of Finder.app.

UPDATE: Most of the day the fix worked for me. I did catch it once after it was hidden for a few hours, where all 6 of my gmail accounts were offline. So, the 4 step approach is an improvement but still needs some work for me.

May 4, 2019 1:44 PM in response to d18ge

Sure no problem d18ge.

FINAL UPDATE: After doing alxxhrvth's 4 steps a couple of days ago (as I posted about a few replies ago), I still ended up getting the offline indicator for 5 of the 6 gmail accounts that I re-added to Mac Mail. It would happen after Mail.app was hidden for approximately 2 or more hours. So, why not the 6th gmail account? That question I had gave me an idea. Well, if you go to the menu bar in Mail-->Accounts you can adjust 4 checkboxes for each gmail account. They are Mail, Contacts, Calendars and Notes (M, Co, Ca, N). When you setup a gmail account it defaults with all 4 checked. That is probably why alxxhrvth's 4 step program works for the majority. Because it makes us setup an account back to default. But, some of us uncheck the boxes right away. When I was doing alxxhrvth's 4th step the other day, I had left one of the 6 gmail accounts, let's name it Eureka@gmail.com, with the dafault 4 boxes checked. On the other 5, I had unchecked the Co, Ca, N so that only Mail was checked. Yesterday, I checked my inbox and Eureka@gmail didn't have an offline indicator and the other 5 did. So, I messed with the 4 checkboxes on 4 of the 5 troubled gmail accounts. I did different combinations of checkboxes and then I let it run for the last 24 hours. Today, when I went to my inbox after it hiding for more than a couple of hours, they were all online except the one that I left with only mail checked. It didn't seem to matter if I checked M and N, or M and Ca, or M, N, and Ca. Just as long as M (obviously) and one of the other 4 boxes is checked.

CONCLUSION: Make sure that another of the four boxes besides Mail is checked in Mail-->Accounts-->youremail@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2019 2:20 PM in response to d18ge

I remember seeing another post describing a similar issue if the Mail App was minimised or kept in the background, this appeared to follow the last update.

I believe to keep Gmail "connected" he discovered putting Mail into it's own "Spaces" seemed to work, switched between his working desktop and Mail's every time he wanted to check his messages was quicker and less frustrating than continually closing and re-opening.

It's obviously no fix but might be worth trying.

Apr 9, 2019 2:29 PM in response to John Galt

While I have occasionally had this happen, that is not what is happening here. If I have the Mail app open for any length of time, my Gmail connection will drop. It appears from best I can tell to be related to the smtp side of things as I receive email. In all the years I have had a Gmail account and used Apple Mail to access it as opposed to the web interface, I have not had this problem.

Apr 9, 2019 2:33 PM in response to SiHancox

I generally keep the Mail app open on my desktop. I will get a dropped connection indication (circle with tilde symbol) next to my Gmail inbox at some point, usually within a few hours. Seems to have something to do with the smtp server connection as best I can tell. I have tried creating a specific server item in the outgoing server list but that does not seem to have resolved the issue.

Apr 9, 2019 3:54 PM in response to d18ge

I don't use Gmail but do have two other accounts in Mail, an ISP POP account and iCloud. Following the update the SMTP server for both went off-line and stayed that way even if the Mail App was restarted.

Strangely this issue was limited to the SMTP side, POP and IMAP remained unaffected.

In the end I just deleted and re-added the ISP account at the same time turning off and then on again iCloud, which appeared to sort the issue out.

I suspect (but this is just my guess) that the update had somehow got the accounts using the wrong smtp servers so they could never actually connect, who knows, all a bit of a mess and shouldn't really happen.

Apr 13, 2019 8:11 AM in response to John Galt

UPDATE: I deleted the Gmail account, restarted macOS and recreated the account. The problem is still occurring though I have isolated it to the outgoing server. It seems as if the account looses the outgoing server to use. Once this happens, if I attempt to create and send an email in Apple Mail using the Gmail account, I will get a message saying it needs an outgoing server. Selecting the proper server seems to work but the problem reoccurs within a few hours. There is no problem with any of my iOS devices that use the Apple mail client to access Gmail, just macOS. I have not tried going the Google support route yet but that is the next step. If I do find a fix, I will post here.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Apr 18, 2019 2:38 PM in response to John Galt

UPDATE #2:

I posted a query on the Google support community and received two replies, both from people experiencing the exact same issue. No one has responded with any suggested fixes. I just updated my wife's MacBook Air to 10.14.4 and now she is having the same SMTP server issue. Since this was not a problem before updating to 10.14.4 I think this is an Apple problem that hopefully they will recognize and issue a fix.

For now, I will consider this an unresolved Apple issue and not a Google issue. If I do hear to the contrary, I will post the information.

Gmail keeps going offline in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.