Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I"m trying to delete "top results.app" from my Mac and can't figure out how to do it.

Somehow this app got loaded on my machine. I think it was when I installed File Zilla but I"m not certain of that. At any rate when I bring up Safari my Extensions screen pops up asking me to approve Top Results.app as an extension. The app doesn't show up in my Applications folder and it doesn't appear as a program running when I try to force close. But, when I attempt to move the file to trash it won't let me, saying the app is running. I see absolutely nothing about this app when I google it. What's going on, anyone know?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 3, 2019 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2019 11:24 AM

Launch Activity Monitor and quit the App.

Quit an app or process in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

Check for adware.

Run  the latest release of Malwarebytes for Mac to remove malware/adware, if installed on your Mac.

For instructions:  Install Malwarebytes for Mac          Uninstall Malwarebytes for Mac

Click the “Scan Now” button. Once done, quit Malwarebytes for Mac.

Restart the computer and relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

Remove unknown extensions:  Safari > Preferences > Extensions

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/use-safari-extensions-sfri32508/mac

Reset search engine:    https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/customize-your-search-ibrwe75c2a3c/mac

Reset  Homepage.   https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/set-your-homepage-ibrw1020/mac 

Restart your Mac. Relaunch Safari holding the Shift key down.      

Similar questions

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2019 11:24 AM in response to MarcherConsults

Launch Activity Monitor and quit the App.

Quit an app or process in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

Check for adware.

Run  the latest release of Malwarebytes for Mac to remove malware/adware, if installed on your Mac.

For instructions:  Install Malwarebytes for Mac          Uninstall Malwarebytes for Mac

Click the “Scan Now” button. Once done, quit Malwarebytes for Mac.

Restart the computer and relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

Remove unknown extensions:  Safari > Preferences > Extensions

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/use-safari-extensions-sfri32508/mac

Reset search engine:    https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/customize-your-search-ibrwe75c2a3c/mac

Reset  Homepage.   https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/set-your-homepage-ibrw1020/mac 

Restart your Mac. Relaunch Safari holding the Shift key down.      

May 22, 2019 11:58 AM in response to MarcherConsults

I too got "Top Results" installed during the routine Filezilla client install.

Look up in your top right corner of your Mac, up by the clock, and find the rougue app's icon. On mine it looked like a circular hour glass. Click on it and choose exit or quit.

Open Safari, click on "Safari" in the upper left, then choose "preferences" Choose extensions and see if "Top Results" is listed in there. If it is, choose uninstall. If it opts to send you to a finder window do that. If you see the "Top Result" application in the finder window, close safari first, then go to the finder window and drag "Top Results" to the trash. Reopen Safari, preferences, extensions to make sure it is now removed.

I'm assuming Mozilla would allow this search result app to pass through some verification to ensure it doesn't behave like malware. In other words, we opted into installing a useless to us app as a part of the free Filezilla download. I guess it's hard to get something for nothing.

Aug 19, 2019 5:46 PM in response to MarcherConsults

Hey so i don’t know if you figured it out or not but I just went through the same thing and figured it out.

1. Go to finder
  2. Search in the search bar Application
  3. It will say kind next to application where you just searched and press it and click everything
  4. Next you will see a bar and it says search : this Mac and recents make sure to click this Mac
  5. And you will see 2-3 folders that are named applications press and hold you mouse over each one and see which one say one application you can double click to check if you do that the icon top results should be there
  6. Drag that folder to trash and drop it and empty trash it should be gone hope this helps

May 4, 2019 8:56 AM in response to dominic23

The difficult thing about this TopResults.app is that whenever you try to uninstall or delete it through the usual means (tossing trash, using an uninstall program) it says that you can't delete because it's open. That's typical. BUT there is no way to close the app. There's no way to "see" the app except sitting in the Applications folder. And because it's "always open" you can't delete it. That's the tough thing about this one.

May 31, 2019 12:19 PM in response to MarcherConsults

I right clicked on the icon of "top results"

clicked on "Show contents"

then moved all its contents to the trash.

Now,

If you go back and look at "top results"

It only looks like a broken file with zero bytes size.

Though you can not delete it but now it is un-functional.

That is the only way I could figure out till now.

Update the thread if any better solution comes up.

thanks.

Jun 14, 2019 9:27 PM in response to MarcherConsults

Hi! I had this EXACT same problem and I had no clue what to do. I just figured it out though. I had to look to the top of my browser screen where there is the bar that shows things like the time, wifi, battery percentage, etc. Then, I found something to the left of the wifi and such that looked like a magnifying glass and when I clicked on it there was an option to exit it (command'e'), so I clicked exit and then I was able to delete it... finally, I was so relieved.

Aug 19, 2019 3:25 AM in response to MarcherConsults

I did get rid of it by placing a in the Terminal (found in Launchpad) the following strand;

~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db "DELETE from apps WHERE title='TopResult';" && killall Dock.-bash:

and later searching in applications and utilities for the app “Totalresults” and sending it “Totalreults" to the trash for deletion.

It took a while but i got rid of it.-

Note that TOP RESULTS must be one word "Topresults"

I"m trying to delete "top results.app" from my Mac and can't figure out how to do it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.