Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave 10.14.5 iTunes full screen playback mode bug: black screen

Hello

I ran the Mojave 10.14.5 update on my Mac mini 2018 last week, and have since not been able to play any iTunes Movie Store movie in full screen mode. Not even after a complete reinstallation of the system, using a new computer account. I think 10.14.5 introduced a playback bug.

Problem:

iTunes “full screen movie playback mode” bug introduced in 10.14.5 (all fine up to 10.14.4) and/or iTunes 12.9.5.5 bug: movies in iTunes can no longer be played in Full Screen because the screen goes black.

System: Mac mini 2018 - macOS 10.14.5 Mojave - iTunes 12.9.5.5

Apple LED Cinema Display 27”

Symptoms:

When switching to full screen in iTunes when playing a movie from the Apple Movie Store, the screen will go black. It will show the content of the screen every few seconds in very short flashes (about a 5th of a second, I guess), and the soundtrack will keep on playing.

Moving the mouse cursor will show the screen again - but only so long as the control bar/time line bar in the bottom is visible. It will then go black again, right when the control bar disappears again.

Also, when the mouse pointer is placed on the control bar / time line in the bottom, the screen will not go black. That is, if you keep it there. But then you will need to view the movie with control buttons and time line exposed throughout the entire movie - not acceptable.

Viewing movie NOT in full screen: no problem. But obviously I want Full Screen.

Other possibly associated bugs since 10.14.5: when booting the Mac mini, and while showing the startup progress bar, the display will turn black several times. It sort of “stutters”. It did not do that prior to the 10.14.5 update.

Actions taken: 

1. re-download movie; test purchased versus rented movies: no difference.

2. Mac SMC and NVRAM/PRAM reset: does not make a difference.

3. I then performed a “clean install” of my Mac:

- downloaded the latest greatest macOS 10.14.5 Mojave installer file

- created a bootable USB medium

- booted from installer key and completely wiped internal SSD

- performed a “clean install” of macOS 10.14.5 Mojave

- added a test user account, did NOT migrate any data or settings or apps from backup

- so what we have here is effectively a clean system with nothing but Apple’s standard apps - no third party apps/plug-ins/whatever and absolutely "standard settings"

- started iTunes and logged in to my iTunes account to access movie library. Played movies in full screen mode.

Result: exactly the same symptoms. Screen goes black. Movies can no longer be played in Full Screen mode.

I rent/purchase movies regularly through the iTunes Music store - about weekly. I own about 80 iTunes movies. I can no longer watch them, because no Full Screen = not good enough.

Does anyone out there experience the same problem? Anyone found a solution to the problem?

Thanks

Cheers

AstroWout

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 24, 2019 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2019 5:43 AM

This seems to be a common problem (which I've got too). There are multiple threads:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250368946

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250376886

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250379316

This happening on a Mac mini seems to be common to all of them.

Similar questions

16 replies

Jun 2, 2019 1:37 AM in response to Kazehora

Hi Kazehora

No, I currently do not own an eGPU so I could not test that. But this issue may very well be limited to the Mac mini 2018 and its Intel UHD Graphics 630 chipset.

I don't know whether you had a look at the other threads about this issue: in 2 of them another member called ZumbaEric was able to contact Apple Support and get a confirmation that they are working on this:

"I just chatted with support and here's the latest update:

this issue is being investigated by our engineers. Their notes for this issue was to make sure and keep your Mac updated as the fix for this issue will come in an update, and the best work around for this issue at this time would be to watch the movies in non-full screen."

See:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250368946

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250376886

As far as Apple support is concerned: I tried to get them to contact me three times, but they never called.

Now I get emails from them telling me "We tried to call you at the phone number you provided, but we couldn't reach you."

I did not get any call from Apple Support.

As a matter of fact, I have no missed calls on my phone whatsoever. Or voice mail for that matter.

I have been waiting for an Apple Support call since May the 26nd, the day I filed my first support request (for which I received a confirmation by email). Nobody called. And definitely not at the requested time.

I tried again, a second and a third time in the following days. Nobody called. Same story.

Apparently ZumbaEric had more luck. But getting support from Apple should not involve luck.

Cheers

astrowout

May 25, 2019 2:41 PM in response to claus237

Hi claus237

I don't know whether this is just an iTunes problem. iTunes now comes installed with macOS Mojave. It can no longer be downloaded for Mojave. You now get it as a part of Mojave.

And the problem started after updating Mojave - which may update (parts of) iTunes.

It may have something to do with a shared graphics framework: Metal. Mojave requires Metal, and Metal is limited to specific graphics hardware.

It would be helpful to know if anyone with comparable hardware has the same problem.

regards

A

May 27, 2019 5:48 PM in response to astrowout

Also 2018 Mac mini, problem started after the most recent update. I don't use iTunes for movies but I watch youtube and all of the exact same symptoms are present when trying to fullscreen youtube. Flashes, sound, moving the mouse, not fullscreen works fine, etc. The 2018 mini's seem to have display issues because mine and many others do not wake up from sleep when tapping keyboard or moving the mouse. Have yet to find a solution for this. I have had to simply long press the power button and restart to get the display back on which is unacceptable! My 2009 Mac mini runs rings around my 2018. Makes me wonder whether I should have just gotten a pc.....yikes!!

Jun 1, 2019 6:58 PM in response to astrowout

Not only do I have this issue, I found the exact same bug to appear in Playstation 4 Remote Play. It would work in windowed mode, and in full screen if you have the bottom control bar or mouse cursor active, but the instant they hide from no movement, black screen!

I also have a 2018 mac mini, so maybe this has to do with the intel graphics drivers between 10.14.4 and 10.14.5?

I really wish Apple fixed this or at least acknowledge it as an issue. Windowed or having the bar ruins the cinematic experience (ie: not good enough). Thanks AstroWout for testing out another mac to isolate the issue... I don't suppose you have an egpu to see if that circumvents the bug?

Jun 3, 2019 2:21 PM in response to astrowout

Thanks Astrowout, but I already saw those threads after bumping into yours. I hope Apple will finally fix this issue now that they are aware of it. It sucks that it affects all Mac MIni 2018 users for full screen applications.

I wish Apple released a hotfix instead of waiting for the next version of MacOS. I don't want to wait until the fall for this to be fixed!

If any Mini users with a eGPU bump into this thread, I'd be curious if you can reproduce the problem with 10.14.5

Jun 12, 2019 8:38 AM in response to astrowout

Honestly, Apple should do the right thing and give us a hotfix. This bug affects a lot of full screen apps (though oddly enough, not VLC).

I can't believe Apple let this go for a month, especially since it affects premium paid digital goods. Doesn't even seem like 10.14.6 is coming anytime soon either. Just one beta rumor and then nada.

Jul 1, 2019 1:14 PM in response to astrowout

I've just realised I've got this problem, not been watching movies much recently but it was definitely fine before the most recent 10.14.5 update.

I've also done a little more playing around with it, and it seems that movies that are 4K/HDR play without the issue, IF they're being streamed from the iTunes online Store. No movie plays without the issue if it's being played from local attached storage or local network storage. Might be worth feeding that back to Apple if you've still got an open ticket and/or an email contact with them.

This is ridiculous bug to have made it past testing too.

Mojave 10.14.5 iTunes full screen playback mode bug: black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.