Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth not connecting after Mojave 10.14.6 Upgrade on MacBook Pro, (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 Mid)

After the upgrade, my Bluetooth is not connecting to iPods, mouse, Bose stereo. I have tried all of the Methods for troubleshooting, https://macreports.com/mac-bluetooth-not-working-fix/ without any luck. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Please help.

MacBook Pro, (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 Mid)

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Aug 3, 2019 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2019 6:28 PM

Hi tvdowntown,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're having trouble with the Bluetooth connection on your Mac after upgrading to macOS Mojave. I know how important it is to use your Bluetooth devices with your Mac; I'd like to help. Based on the troubleshooting steps in the link you provided, I'd recommend moving forward with the steps below:

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2019 6:28 PM in response to tvdowntown

Hi tvdowntown,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're having trouble with the Bluetooth connection on your Mac after upgrading to macOS Mojave. I know how important it is to use your Bluetooth devices with your Mac; I'd like to help. Based on the troubleshooting steps in the link you provided, I'd recommend moving forward with the steps below:

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Aug 6, 2019 11:48 PM in response to tvdowntown

Hi tvdowntown,

I have also reported the same issue and do not believe it can be hardware-related (MBP, early 2015 here). The MBP was working fine with two bluetooth peripherals (magic mouse and bose headphones) prior to the 10.14.6 update. Immediately after the update, neither peripheral would connect and no amount of resetting, pairing, resetting bluetooth module, reboot, power off & on, etc will prompt the MBP to see the devices as available for pairing now.

I just refuse to see it as hardware-related when it failed immediately after the 10.14.6 update. Hoping Apple will respond.

Oct 31, 2019 7:44 AM in response to tvdowntown

Seems https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250538930 describes a similar issue. There must be something in the 10.14.6 Upgrade that affects older (2015?) hardware.

Bluetooth is broken for me just as described in this thread. A co-worker of mine has the exact same hardware, but did not apply the update.

We compared information in the "system report" and noticed that under USB, the working MBP has a "Bluetooth-USB-Host-Controller" with "Apple Inc." as the manufacturer, whereas the updated (broken) one shows a "BCM2045A0" device by Broadcom in this place.

Can anyone else affected by this issue check that? Maybe that gives another clue as to where the problem comes from?

Aug 5, 2019 2:09 PM in response to tvdowntown

I think I found a work around.

I went through all the normal restarts and resets including the SMC and shutting down the Wifi.

Tried the Debug command for Bluetooth. Didn't work the first time. then I did the following:

I stood on one leg, patted my head and....JK.

I unplugged all my peripherals, then...

1. Held Shift+Option and click on the Bluetooth menu in the Mac menu bar.
  2. Clicked Debug and select Remove all devices.
  3. Clicked Debug again and select Reset the Bluetooth module.
  4. Restarted my Mac.
  5. Reconnect each of your Bluetooth devices.

When the Mac restarted this time, I could see number of items on the bluetooth menu, but it would not connect them or identify them at first. I removed each one, one at a time, from the Bluetooth preferences screen. Made sure all my bluetooth was off, then set them to pairing mode one at a time. It took a few moments, but the mouse was recognised, then the keyboard etc.

You might have to debug a few times. I think three ended up being the magic number for me.

Nov 11, 2019 3:32 PM in response to northeaster

Can anybody say if...

• this can be fixed by having the Bluetooth hardware module replaced
  • can be prevented by upgrading from a pre-10.14.6 version directly to Catalina
  • either one of these options leaves the Bluetooth module vulnerable to some kind of security issue (which were, to my understanding, to be addressed by the update in question)?

Nov 1, 2019 1:33 PM in response to mpdude

If you had an older Time Machine backup and or system clone from before

the better idea then would have been revert; never 'upgrade out' of trouble.

Now, to revert may require another tactic; a bootable USB of macOS 10.14.x.

Masking issues or creating layers-deep new problems is often a result.

By now the actual issue in Mojave is likely cured. Said to be fair, now.

While newer macOS runs in different Mac than my daily user is Mojave; that's

barely been used and still on 10.14.5, in mid-2012 MB/Pro; w/ hardware upgrade.

Aug 5, 2019 2:47 PM in response to WBCotton

Thanks WBCotton,

I have tried this action multiple times, still I am unable to connect. My AirPods show up under "Devices" yet I the system does not allow me to connect. Someone has suggested that the chip inside the my computer may have become dislodged. The Genius Bar said as much but, living in Chicago, they require 5 days of giving up my computer. It is why I keep trying new methods that are presented here -- I cannot be without my computer.

Hopefully your suggestion helps resolve someone else who is dealing with a similar issue.

Aug 11, 2019 1:36 AM in response to tvdowntown

I guess it *could* be a dislodged chip, but I'm loathed to think that, given how many of us have experienced a change or complete failure in Bluetooth immediately after applying a MacOS update (in this case, 10.14.6).

My MacBook Pro was sat there on the table, not being moved, fully-functioning and fully-connected to 2 bluetooth devices, I applied the update... now neither bluetooth device can be found or will re-pair with the laptop. It's *possible* the bluetooth chip dislodged at this precise moment, but I find it more likely the MacOS update was the crucial change.

Still, getting Apple to see that isn't something I'm going to spend the next few months battling with. If they want us as customers, they know what to do.

Aug 14, 2019 2:02 AM in response to tvdowntown

Hey tvdowntown,

I'm with everyone else here. If your Mac hasn't been doing a lot of travel, it's highly unlikely that this is a hardware issue, seeing as it started right after updating.

My just crashed again, inexplicably, and I had to go through most of the steps I mentioned earlier AND, do the plist removal as well this time.

Have you thought about using your time machine and rolling back to an earlier working version?

I think I'm going to be doing what I did when I was forced to have a windows machine because of work and shut off auto updates because Apple's updates are getting more and more buggy.

COME ON APPLE! Get your act together! Yeesh!

Aug 14, 2019 10:29 AM in response to tvdowntown

I also have a mid 2015 MBP, and lost Bluetooth connectivity immediately upon updating to 10.14.6. Tried virtually all solutions listed here, none of which worked. Spent 2 hours with Apple Support and was eventually told to bring it in to Apple Store. Brought it in. All hardware tested as fine, but Bluetooth still wouldn’t work. Was eventually told I needed a new wireless card. I have a hard time believing that to be the case and opted not to do that right now. I’m hoping the next update fixes whatever gremlin this is. In the meantime an old USB mouse is working just fine.

Bluetooth not connecting after Mojave 10.14.6 Upgrade on MacBook Pro, (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 Mid)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.