Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hairline Crack iPad Pro 11

Had my iPad 11 inch pro for about three or four months, I’m the sole user and treat it like gold as I use it for work, everything was fine with it unit the other day, when I noticed a curved inch and a bit sized hairline crack, hidden in the black border which appeared in the top left corner just under the volume control. I was gutted as I’m certain it’s never been dropped or treated badly etc. there’s not any damage or deformation to the bezel either.

I took took it to the Apple store at BlueWater and got the standard answer, “oh a hairline crack, well as we weren’t there when it happened we can’t say how it happened etc” did you purchase AppleCare etc etc, well that’ll be just under £500 then.....

Is that it then or do I have any other options to getting this fixed?

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 2:20 AM

Similar questions

29 replies

Aug 12, 2019 8:39 AM in response to Jamiam76

Nope.

If you decided to risk NOT purchasing extra two-year AppleCare+, which covers any accidental damage for two years and your iPad Pro got damaged, Apple's out of of warranty repair/replacement cost is approx. 60% of that iPad Pro’s original price.

It is what it is. You have no other option.

Sorry & Good Luck to You!

Aug 12, 2019 10:57 AM in response to Jamiam76

Jamiam76 wrote:
Thanks, yes to my cost I’m aware of the pitfalls of not purchasing the apple care, but my point was really could this be a manufacturing fault as no accident has happened to my iPad.

Yes there could be. If there’s no obvious impact point and just a hairline crack with no missing pieces/pits then it could be from a point defect in the glass. It’s rare though. I would suggest escalating to the supervisor. Do have have any pictures? You can post here.

This is a pretty good example, although it’s an iPhone 5:

http://i.imgur.com/kLWclIL.jpg

Aug 15, 2019 8:15 AM in response to Jamiam76

That's definitely a hairline crack. I'd push Apple and insist that it's a manufacturing defect. As someone who has dropped an iPad before and had it crack, I see no impact point in the case. When dropped with blunt force there will always be several cracks as well as chunks of glass missing between the cracks.

That's about a perfect example as I've seen for replacement under warranty. Make sure you have a backup. Apple doesn't specifically repair iPad models for customers. The only "repair" is a complete replacement, including a battery service.

Aug 15, 2019 8:49 AM in response to Jamiam76

I certainly wish you luck. But in counterpoint, an iPad doesn't need to show an impact point for an impact to crack a screen. If someone put enough pressure on the screen, but it wasn't dropped or banged against something, it wouldn't necessary be dented or scratched, but the screen could crack.

Still, I hope nothing but the best in your pursuit of getting a replacement under warranty. Only Apple can make the decision to do that.

Aug 15, 2019 9:29 AM in response to lobsterghost1

rbrylawski wrote:
I certainly wish you luck. But in counterpoint, an iPad doesn't need to show an impact point for an impact to crack a screen. If someone put enough pressure on the screen, but it wasn't dropped or banged against something, it wouldn't necessary be dented or scratched, but the screen could crack.

Still, I hope nothing but the best in your pursuit of getting a replacement under warranty. Only Apple can make the decision to do that.

Sure. However, when its a crack from substantial bending or pressure, there’s almost always little bits of glass that come flying out between the cracks. This looks like a perfect example of a hairline crack that should be covered by the warranty. There are tiny bits missing, but that’s going to happen even with mild hairline cracks.

Aug 15, 2019 9:40 AM in response to y_p_w

Sorry, but I've seen loads of cracks which resulted from excessive force, but the screen didn't lose any glass in the process.

No offense, but I think you're perhaps giving the OP a bit of false hope. I do hope they replace it, but they may not at all and the assertion it would have missing shards of glass, isn't realistic.

And I speak from personal experience as I had an iPad screen develop a hairline crack. I knew Apple wouldn't replace it under warranty. There were no dents or scratches nor missing pieces of glass. But I always have AppleCare on my iDevices, so it cost me $49 and out the store I went with a replacement.

Aug 15, 2019 9:48 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Well, this is in the corner (where it’s difficult to get enough flex in the glass) and the case is absolutely pristine. I get that there a lot of posts here claiming that “I didn’t drop it”, but this looks to me like the most ideal case I’ve seen here for a warranty replacement. I get that Apple employees are trained to reply that any glass breakage is not covered under warranty, but this looks like something that should be escalated to someone higher up.

Aug 15, 2019 9:50 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I have been following this thread but thought I would stay out of it until now.

No matter what you, think, no matter what I think, no matter what the OP thinks or anybody else thinks, it will come down to trying to convince an Apple store rep that this is a manufacturing defect. The OP could try one Apple Store and get a sympathetic employee that is easily convinced that this is a manufacturing defect and that it should be replaced or the OP could trek all over the countryside pleading their case at one store after another and not get anywhere.

Apple Store employees must see more than their share of these situations every week, week after week. Without overwhelming evidence that this is a manufacturing defect, it might be really difficult to convince to one of them that it is in fact a defect.

What standard Apple sets for determining that a crack in the screen is a manufacturing defect is anybody’s guess, and that’s all it is.

Just my own worthless 2¢.

Aug 15, 2019 9:58 AM in response to y_p_w

y_p_w wrote:

Sure. However, when its a crack from substantial bending or pressure, there’s almost always little bits of glass that come flying out between the cracks.

No, there isn't always. I worked in a cellular phone store. We got a new kind of anti-theft bracket for the iPads that put just enough pressure on them to slightly bend them and crack the screens. That's exactly the kind of crack we saw. It happened in multiple stores and, because of my particular job, I saw most of the iPads in person.

Aug 15, 2019 10:31 AM in response to lobsterghost1

rbrylawski wrote:
I agree with you Demo. It doesn't matter what any of us think.

Certainly nobody here has the power to ensure this device is replaced under warranty. However, I believe it’s worth trying, or at least taking it to a supervisor. I’ve ended up taking a warranty claim to a supervisor at an Apple Store. There have been cases where an OP was told “don’t bother” on the premise that they’d be unsuccessful but they ended up with a repair/replacement. But for a device that Apple charges £476 to replace, I believe it’s worth pursuing having seen the damage.

Aug 15, 2019 10:35 AM in response to y_p_w

y_p_w wrote:

.....But for a device that Apple charges £476 to replace, I believe it’s worth pursuing having seen the damage.

I’m certainly not suggesting that it isn’t worth a try, but I am saying that all things being equal, IMHO, it will be very hard to prove. However, as my dear mother used to say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sep 6, 2019 5:22 AM in response to Jamiam76

Update... the iPad developed a recharging fault, so I took it in to an iStore to see if they’d check it over and see what the problem was. I explained the issue with the charge fault but didn’t even mention the hairline crack, they took it out the back to the technician to have a closer look and inspect the socket etc, 10 minutes later the guy brought it back out, he said there was a definitely an issue with the charging and then also pointed out the fact that had hairline crack, which as it was a single hairline crack with no signs of other damage or impact was covered under apple’s one year warranty, and would be eligible for replacement. Thank goodness

Hairline Crack iPad Pro 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.