Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook screen flickering

So I just bought this macbook 2 weeks ago (newest macbook pro 13 inch) and every once in a while there will be a flicker across the screen in the middle and it will be gone in a flash. Is this my computer or the OS????? really don't want to have any more problems, I bought this one after my last macbook's screen cracked randomly on its own.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 9:27 AM

Many other users (myself included) have reported similar behavior from their 2019 MacBook Pro. Try turning off True Tone and "Automatically adjust brightness" in System Preferences -> Displays, see if the problem persists. I did this about a week ago and haven't experienced the flickering ever since.

Even if this takes care of the problem for you, though, I would suggest contacting Apple about it. It's really important that they look into it and fix it in a future software update (if it is indeed a software problem, which I'm guessing it is). Besides, not being able to use True Tone and auto-brightness on a brand new machine is quite unacceptable.

81 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2019 9:27 AM in response to maddy2910

Many other users (myself included) have reported similar behavior from their 2019 MacBook Pro. Try turning off True Tone and "Automatically adjust brightness" in System Preferences -> Displays, see if the problem persists. I did this about a week ago and haven't experienced the flickering ever since.

Even if this takes care of the problem for you, though, I would suggest contacting Apple about it. It's really important that they look into it and fix it in a future software update (if it is indeed a software problem, which I'm guessing it is). Besides, not being able to use True Tone and auto-brightness on a brand new machine is quite unacceptable.

Sep 29, 2019 7:07 PM in response to Teddy_B

Hi Jameson,

I've been having this issue on my brand new 2019 Macbook Pro 13 inch. Took it to Apple store and had it sent in for repair and they gave it back a week later saying that they were unable to replicate the issue. This is extremely infuriating, and has been an issue that numerous customers have complained about on various forums - not just the Apple Support site, but also Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/macbook/comments/ckpmne/new_2019_macbook_pro_screen_flicker_flashes/) and Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etWlvxPD2f8).

Really hoping that this issue is resolved with the release of Mac OS Catalina. It doesn't seem likely that this many devices are physically defective. If you have any power to raise this to people with more authority, it would help a lot of Apple customers who have spent a pretty penny to have these "premium" machines.

Thanks!

Aug 15, 2019 9:47 AM in response to maddy2910

Hi maddy2910,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're seeing an intermittent flicker on the display of your MacBook Pro.

Does this happen when you're using a particular app? How often would you say it appears?

Are you using an external display?

Does it happen while you have anything connected to your Mac, like an iOS device or external hard drive?

Depending on the answers to the above, it might help you to Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac. Give that a try and see if that clears things up.

Take care!

Aug 1, 2020 9:33 PM in response to maddy2910

I have a new macbook pro 2020 13" with the latest Catalina (10.15.6) and it happens to me too! Flickers on the Macbook pro screen with Apple TV, as well as a green tainted external monitor picture anytime I go full screen with any app (youtube, apple TV, netflix etc.). This is extremely annoying. Fortunately, there is an easy trick that, so far, fixes all my display issue when they happen: Changing the cursor size! ( see discussion https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250626818)

This sounds so random, but it works like a charm for me. Apple really needs to fix those issues.

Apr 21, 2020 5:28 PM in response to SZABOMario

Did it work for you? it did not work for me (changing cursor size).

I literally tried all the solutions out there (including the cursor size change) none of it worked.

The only way is to make Apple to realize that it is a common bug and they need to fix it.

We can do it in two steps:

1. check"I have this question too" on the original post.
  2. Call Apple customer service to let them know this issue and request them to escalate to engineering team.

Sep 23, 2019 2:22 PM in response to maddy2910

I have also seen this issue with now two brand new MacBook Pro 13 inch. I have managed to catch it on video and was able to pause the video to capture the actual image that flashes across the screen.

The image below is from the first one I bought. It first flashed very sporadically within the first week and then gradually got more frequent (or I started to notice it more and stopped thinking it was just me blinking) about three weeks in.

I returned and replaced the computer with another brand new one and the same timeline. It started about a week or so after I purchased, and gradually got more frequent. There is no consistency to the timing of it. Sometimes it will happen multiple times in a few minutes, other times it will go hours without doing it. I work almost exclusively in Chrome, but I am almost positive it has happened while using other apps as well.

Below is another photo, I caught just this past weekend on my second computer. I'm taking it a different Best Buy to replace in case it is a problem with a specific lot, hoping they may have a different shipment.

May 21, 2020 10:25 AM in response to Teddy_B

I have the same situation as loreocookies reported. I purchased a refurbished May 2019 MBP13 from Apple's online store and within a week that same video glitch appeared. Took it to the Apple store and they saw the glitch happen, but said there is no known problem (apparently not reading this and other threads) and said they could send my week old computer off for 2 weeks for diagnostics and repair. Ended up having the online store replace it. The replacement has been doing the same thing since I got it back in February. I've only noticed it in browsers, but it happens on both Safari and Chrome. I've tried all of the usual recommendations (Reset NVRAM, SMC, turning off True Tone, etc), but nothing has fixed the issue. I'm running 10.14.6. No external devices, no external display. It happens several times per hour. Here are 2 screenshots and a short video from my replacement MBP taken this morning. https://youtu.be/i4CXcYvdfRg

May 21, 2020 1:29 PM in response to maddy2910

Hi,

I have a MBP 15" 2019 (TouchBar) with a screen flickering/flash randomly. I tried a lot of things which were suggested here, but nothing fixed it. It does occur randomly, I'm not able to reproduce it. Sometimes its once a day, sometimes its multiple times in an hour. I managed to film this with slow motion and it looks like some part of the screen, mostly the lower part, is going black.

Because of this I already send my MBP in and the logic board was replaced. This did not fix it. I'm thinking of sending it in again, but I fear I'm just loosing 3 weeks then and the errors is not gone. It does not look exactly as the videos from others here, so I wonder if this has the same root cause.

What I noticed: This only happens when the internal graphic card is used. When switching to the Radeon Pro 555X card it does not happen.

I hope Apple can give some official information about this. Video: https://streamable.com/f4u2bn

Nov 5, 2020 4:16 AM in response to maddy2910

Same issue here!!!! I bought the 2020 macbook air in August and ive brought my macbook to the service center already twice for a flickering screen issue!!

the first time, they said they didnt find an issue and that if i encounter it again, just bring it back.

it did happen again and i tried everything like redownloading my IOS, resetting SMC and NVRAM.

I Then brought it back to the service center and it’s been there for about three weeks now and they said that they are still trying to diagnose the issue because they themselves do no encounter my experience..

they said i can just take my macbook back, since apple has not yet found a way to fix this issue.

this is unacceptable especially for a brand new macbook air.

Sep 23, 2019 2:26 PM in response to Loreocookies

As a follow up. I did take the first one to the Apple Store and showed them the video and image of the flashing. They were unaware of any known issues but indicated that it could be an issue that occurred when I transferred files over from my old computer. They did a full re-set on the computer and I did not transfer any files. It flashed again the following morning so I took it back to Best Buy for replacement.

Oct 15, 2019 10:06 PM in response to Teddy_B

To answer your questions, restarting NVRAM doesn't make a difference.

Does this happen when you're using a particular app? How often would you say it appears?

This happens every few minutes no matter what apps are open. Sometimes I might go 5 minutes without a flash, sometimes it will flash 20 times in a few minutes.

Are you using an external display?

No.

Does it happen while you have anything connected to your Mac, like an iOS device or external hard drive?

Yes.

Dec 1, 2019 6:08 PM in response to maddy2910

Same issue noticed on my 13" MacBook Pro 2019. I use my laptop for work on an external display. The issue never happens on the external display but when I bring the laptop home I noticed it usually happening every hour or 2 for a split second. I decided to test it further at work and used the laptop without the external monitor for 3 days and counted it happened randomly regardless of whether I was listening to youtube or typing a report on pages. It would happen probably 6 - 8 times a day completely randomly.

The problem does not happen on the external display however, so it only appears to be an issue with the internal screen on the laptop.

The problem is so fast that it isn't enough for me to warrant getting a new one but it is a noticeable quick "pop up" that could throw you off. If it was to occur more frequently then what I am currently experiencing then I would probably consider contacting apple for a replacement.

Lets hope this is a simple fix that apple can address with a patch update.

Dec 9, 2019 4:36 PM in response to maddy2910

I have had the same issue as well. Bought my laptop (13 inch 2019 version) a month back and experienced the issue. Took the device to apple for a replacement and the same issue started to re-occur on the replaced device as well. Screen flickers randomly when watch videos or movies (Netflix on safari or movies on apple TV ). Not sure if it is a software or hardware issue.

Dec 11, 2019 3:50 PM in response to Loreocookies

Loreocookies,

I have the exact same problem!! And the exact same pattern (as your pictures) appears in different places. I was also able to capture it in a video. Were you able to find a solution?

I had 3 displays replaced, logic board replaced (in my 2016 MacBook Pro 13") and then they finally gave me a brand new laptop (2019 Macbook Pro 13"). After only transferring documents/photos to new the laptop, I still have the exact same flicker. I cannot seem to trace it to any use of applications. And it happens very quickly. I did all new downloads of MacOS Mojave and a few applications from the internet, not my external hard drive.

I am also wondering if it is related to the use of Chrome, (but it occurs with different apps), or if it is Apple software-related?

New Macbook screen flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.