Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo App Libraries

After removing a hard drive from an old MacBook Pro, I connected it to my newer Macbook. When I clicked on the Photos app in the old hard drive, the Photos app started "Updating Library". What is happening here? Am I getting an override on my current Photos app? I cannot stop this or quit the app now.

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 10:54 AM

When I clicked on the Photos app in the old hard drive, the Photos app started "Updating Library".

Was it the Photos application on the old HD that you double clicked on or was it your Photos library?

If it was the library then the Photos app on your new Mac launched and is converting the library to its version.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2019 10:54 AM in response to seattleisgreen

When I clicked on the Photos app in the old hard drive, the Photos app started "Updating Library".

Was it the Photos application on the old HD that you double clicked on or was it your Photos library?

If it was the library then the Photos app on your new Mac launched and is converting the library to its version.

Photo App Libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.