Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac slow

Hi

my imac is very slow in opening all applications. Load everything slowly.

I tried to execute the Macitynet instructions, but without result.

I ran the EtreChek program.

I enclose the report.

Thanking you in advance for your time and availability, I hope you can give me some solution.

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 2:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 9:15 AM

Not sure why you need this:

[Running] net.culater.SIMBL.Agent.plist (? 850e6250 - installed 2019-01-25)

According to one article I found, I consider it a potential troublemaker:

SIMBL (SIMple Bundle Loader) - pronounced like "symbol" or "cymbal" - enables hacks and plugins.

bitTorrent is not doing you any favors either

This is likely what is triggering the "failing hard drive" notice, and I would agree IF you were not running Avast:

Performance:

System Load: 2.07 (1 min ago) 1.92 (5 min ago) 1.82 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 3.00 MB/s

File system: 72.51 seconds

Write speed: 21 MB/s

Read speed: 28 MB/s

However, I've seen other posts with EtreCheck reports here recently where removing Avast and other useless anti-virus products increased the read/write scores on a drive that was scoring very low like yours is now.

So, yes, you may need a new hard drive, but make that decision after getting rid of the burden of useless software currently on your Mac.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2019 9:15 AM in response to Moresito

Not sure why you need this:

[Running] net.culater.SIMBL.Agent.plist (? 850e6250 - installed 2019-01-25)

According to one article I found, I consider it a potential troublemaker:

SIMBL (SIMple Bundle Loader) - pronounced like "symbol" or "cymbal" - enables hacks and plugins.

bitTorrent is not doing you any favors either

This is likely what is triggering the "failing hard drive" notice, and I would agree IF you were not running Avast:

Performance:

System Load: 2.07 (1 min ago) 1.92 (5 min ago) 1.82 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 3.00 MB/s

File system: 72.51 seconds

Write speed: 21 MB/s

Read speed: 28 MB/s

However, I've seen other posts with EtreCheck reports here recently where removing Avast and other useless anti-virus products increased the read/write scores on a drive that was scoring very low like yours is now.

So, yes, you may need a new hard drive, but make that decision after getting rid of the burden of useless software currently on your Mac.

Sep 2, 2019 8:07 AM in response to Moresito

I’d get an immediate and complete backup, before attempting removal, repair, remediation, or whatever. Your hard disk may be or failing, and the more I/O you toss at a failing hard disk, the less the data you might get back.

Use what’s left of this hard disk wisely, if it’s failing.

Get a backup.

The app crashes imply a low-level file or volume corruption, fallout from having anti-malware installed, or a failing hard disk drive.

The I/O activity could be the anti-malware or other bits—apps such as Oracle Java and Adobe Flash can both generate lots of I/O—or it can be attempts to read an increasingly-failing storage device.

I’d then preemptively replace this hard disk.

If you want to try to keep this Mac for a few more years, install an SSD, and maybe more memory. An SSD will be a big performance boost. More memory will help, too.

Then either restore your most recent (complete, non-corrupt) backup, or install macOS and migrate in your apps and data.

I’d also consider removing Oracle Java, and Adobe Flash, unless you specifically need those. Check the commercial-use licensing on current versions of Java with the Oracle JVM, too Adobe Flash has a long history of security problems, and the whole package is being deprecated.

Sep 2, 2019 9:53 AM in response to Moresito

I agree with removing the programs suggested above. Use the Developer's uninstall instructions.

The 2 places I’ve seen recommended most to buy reliable RAM are below. I have purchased RAM several times, a MacBook Pro battery, and 2 hard drives from Other World Computing and have always been very satisfied with the product and service. They have on-line instructions on how to replace the RAM and internal hard drives.

Crucial

Other World Computing  

iMac slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.