Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of album rating?

Hi, it seems it's impossible to get rid of album rating in the new iTunes.

How do you go about doing that? This tag doesn't seem to be external, and it seems the iTunes doesn't give any easy option to get rid of this infernal feature.

Please advise.

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 9:28 PM

24 replies

Sep 20, 2019 11:11 AM in response to jrsousa2

These four scripts can override or reset the auto-rating behaviour:

The Clear... scripts change the default 0% rating which allows auto-rating into a 1% rating which shows as no stars.

The Reset... scripts change the 1% value back to the default of 0% allowing auto-rating to take place again.

None of the scripts will change other manually set values, which will be 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% or 100% for one to five stars respectively.

Your screenshot fails to display album rating alongside rating. Doing so should make it clearer what is going on. As noted earlier:

"In addition I believe iTunes may sometimes transfer auto ratings from a device into real ratings in iTunes."

It might not be the auto rated albums that are causing you a problem so much as manually rated albums that you don't want to be rated. As before:

... unrated/zero rated tracks gain an auto rating if there is an album rating, and unrated/zero rated albums gain an auto rating based on any rated tracks. (Specifically the mean average of rated tracks from the album.)

tt2

Sep 21, 2019 11:18 AM in response to jrsousa2

Use File > Library > Show Duplicate Items > Same Album to show duplicate tracks. See Duplicate songs in iTunes - Apple Community for my advice on cleaning those up.

iTunes doesn't scan for updates made to media files by third party software. I've a script called UpdateTagInfo that attempts to get iTunes to process such changes, but it is generally best to make a tool that works directly with iTunes if you can. There are plenty you can use as a starting point at http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/scripts.asp.

If you're talking about eliminating multiple images stored within a single track's tag that is something that could be handled in a script. Working with multiple images isn't easy in the 12.10.0.7 and seems somewhat erratic. I appear to be able to add, rearrange and remove images, but then one of the tracks will reset to what it had before or a single image when played. May be related to the fact that Apple Music is active in this library.

The grey stars in the second screenshot up the page show auto track ratings. Those items have a zero in their rating field and are gaining an auto track rating of 60% or three stars from the manual album rating of 60%. If you don't use album rating then you can remove the unwanted manual values easily enough with Song Info in batch mode, or you can modify one of the reset rating scripts to update all non-zero values rather than only when the current value is 1.

tt2

Sep 21, 2019 9:59 AM in response to turingtest2

iTunes doesn't let me set a rating to 0 neither!!

Dim iTunesApp 
Dim playlist 
Dim FullPath 
Dim tracks 
Dim track 

Set iTunesApp = CreateObject("iTunes.Application.1") 
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") 

Set playlist = iTunesApp.LibrarySource.Playlists.ItemByName("AAA_Fix_rate_01") 
If playlist is Nothing Then 
   iTunesApp.CreatePlaylist("AAA_Fix_rate_01") 
Else 
   playlist.delete 
   iTunesApp.CreatePlaylist("AAA_Fix_rate_01") 
End If 

On error resume next 
count_Artist = 0 
count_Name = 0 
count_AlbumArtist = 0 
count_Album = 0 
count_Genre = 0 
count_Year = 0 
count_Rating = 0 
count_PlayedCount = 0 
count_SkippedCount = 0 
Obs = 0 
Miss = 0 

If FSO.FileExists("D:\iTunes\..\MP3\A\Ah Cama-Sotz - Isfahan (2015 Version).mp3") Then
Obs = Obs+1 
playlist.AddFile("D:\iTunes\..\MP3\A\Ah Cama-Sotz - Isfahan (2015 Version).mp3")
WScript.Echo "Track " & Obs & " - " & "D:\iTunes\..\MP3\A\Ah Cama-Sotz - Isfahan (2015 Version).mp3"
Set track = playlist.Tracks.Item(Obs)
Has_Art = False 

If (True) and track.Rating<>"0" Then
   WScript.Echo "Changing Rating" 
   track.Rating = 0
   count_Rating = count_Rating+1 
   WScript.Echo "Rating " & track.Rating
Else 
   WScript.Echo "Not changing Rating" 
End If 

WScript.Echo 
Else 
    miss = miss + 1
    Wscript.Echo "File not found!"
End If 

Wscript.Echo "Artist: " & count_Artist & " tags modified"
Wscript.Echo "Name: " & count_Name & " tags modified"
Wscript.Echo "AlbumArtist: " & count_AlbumArtist & " tags modified"
Wscript.Echo "Album: " & count_Album & " tags modified"
Wscript.Echo "Genre: " & count_Genre & " tags modified"
Wscript.Echo "Year: " & count_Year & " tags modified"
Wscript.Echo "Rating: " & count_Rating & " tags modified"
Wscript.Echo "PlayedCount: " & count_PlayedCount & " tags modified"
Wscript.Echo "SkippedCount: " & count_SkippedCount & " tags modified"
Wscript.Echo "Missing files: " & miss

Wscript.StdOut.Write vbNewLine & "Press ENTER to continue" 
Do While Not WScript.StdIn.AtEndOfLine 
   Input = WScript.StdIn.Read(1) 
Loop 

The output

Sep 18, 2019 10:38 AM in response to turingtest2

But I don't want to get rid of tracks rating, just album ratings.

So, you're saying that it's not possible to set all album ratings to blank?

In former versions it was possible, did they do away with this other feature?, like the many others that

disappeared from iTunes new versions?

Actually, it is the grey stars that I'm talking about, how do I remove them?

Sep 18, 2019 8:04 PM in response to jrsousa2

Only one track from each album gets updated. Because the new 1% rating value is applied to all tracks from the same album when another track from that album is inspected there is no action required. Change the view and come back. Are you still seeing auto album ratings?

1% displays as no stars. The ResetAlbumAutoRating script changes the value back to 0% which re-enables autorating.

tt2

Sep 18, 2019 8:10 PM in response to turingtest2

It still didn't finish.

Reason why I want to clear album rating is cause I have an automatic playlist that shows tracks that have favorite in the genre, but don't have 3 stars. That means I need to review them and set their stars to 3 (to me 3 stars means a favorite.)

Or vice-versa, tracks that have 3 starts I will add favorite to the genre.

Now, if they are automatically rated by album, this defeats my automatic playlist, it's showing tracks that are not my favorites, and I can't make them go away.

I see, so you're saying that setting them to 0% makes iTunes re-rate them automatically again. That's bad.

Sep 18, 2019 8:15 PM in response to jrsousa2

Yep, unrated/zero rated tracks gain an auto rating if there is an album rating, and unrated/zero rated albums gain an auto rating based on any rated tracks. In addition I believe iTunes may sometimes transfer auto ratings from a device into real ratings in iTunes. Rating based rules don't distinguish between manual and auto ratings. Hence the need for these scripts as a workaround.

tt2

Sep 18, 2019 8:22 PM in response to turingtest2

iTunes is a bit poorly designed. I mean, it has great features, but so many things broke along the way. I don't think they planned it very carefully leading to a lot of frustration among users.

At least I love the capability to use vbscript with iTunes, I create lots and lots of scripts to organize my music. For example, I created a script that checks if the image for tracks that belong to the same album is identical, if it's not, then I pick the best image and attach as cover in the tracks where the image is not exactly the same.

I also do the opposite process, if two tracks have the same artwork, I check if the album tag is really the same.

That and a whole lot of other things. It's very tiring to clean up tags, standardize them, when your library is so large, and mp3 tagging is not an exact science, so many tags may not be right, covers may not be right, year may not be right.

The amount of mp3 files put out there by the world creates a lot of chaos and misinformation when it comes to tags.

Sep 20, 2019 10:08 AM in response to turingtest2

Not at all, I don't to clear the tracks that I manually rated at 3 starts, that would be a disaster.

Your code didn't work as supposed, what I want is to clear album ratings, not any tracks rating.

But I think I now understand this issue. There are some tracks that appear with 3 stars rating ,

that I never set to 3 stars. Their album rating is probably based on these track ratings.

So, question for you, so I can undo what your script did, now that I know how to fix this.

How can I undo what your script did, is it possible to go back without destroying anything?

How to get rid of album rating?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.