Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to rearrange app icons in ios 13

After upgrading to iOS 13 and trying to rearrange app icons this is what happens: I long press the app icon and select "Rearrange Apps" from the context menu. Apps show the "x" mark and start wiggle. I try to move/rearrange an icon and after a 1-2 second delay the icon moves but then freezes on the screen without the "x" mark although all other icons wiggle. The specific app icon is no longer movable and the sliding of the screen left to right becomes sluggish. After a while, and without me being able to do anything useful the "x" marks disappear, the wiggling stops and the app icon that I intended to move stays where it was initially. Looks like a MAJOR bug in iOS.

iPhone 8 Plus

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 3:56 AM

SOLVED - I was having the exact same problem. I had the Zoom function enabled with the three finger double tap active in accessibility settings which was the cause of this problem. Once I disabled this in settings moving the icons around was back to normal for me - what a relief! Hope this helps others who have same issues - check your zoom settings!!

Similar questions

250 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2019 3:56 AM in response to halynakhalak

SOLVED - I was having the exact same problem. I had the Zoom function enabled with the three finger double tap active in accessibility settings which was the cause of this problem. Once I disabled this in settings moving the icons around was back to normal for me - what a relief! Hope this helps others who have same issues - check your zoom settings!!

Sep 20, 2019 11:07 AM in response to AlexPc201

Try this. I just spent the last few minutes and it worked every time.

1. Rest your finger on the app you want to move until the option box comes up
  2. Tap Rearrange
  3. The apps jiggle
  4. NOW, put your finger on the app and press HARDER on the app icon and slowly move it where you want to move it, keeping more pressure on the app as you slide your finger around

Sep 24, 2019 2:18 PM in response to iFrog41

Hey all,

I just discovered a setting that will make toggling zoom much easier.

1. Tap Settings
  2. Tap Accessibility
  3. scroll down to Accessibility Shortcut
  4. put a check by Zoom in the list of services by tapping on Zoom.

This will enable triple clicking the Home button to disable / enable zoom. No more having to go in and out of settings to toggle3 the setting. Even when Apple fixes this bug, enabling this is a nice feature to have as this will allow multiple services to be enabled / disabled this way. Hope this helps make things easier for everyone. To know the status of zoom when using this method, a bubble will pop up on screen saying enabled / disabled based on status.

Oct 30, 2019 11:56 PM in response to DaliGR

I found that this issue is related to zooming in IOS 13 but in addition to the zoom needing to be disabled there is another variant that causes the app to be immobilized. So there is an additional part that is needed, why I don't know.

1) Disable Zoom in the accessibility (I get to Zoom enable/disable by triple click of the home key)

Once Zoom is disabled.

2) Press and hold the app icon you wish to move.

3) When a pop-up of options shows KEEP PRESSING!!!

4) The pop-up disappears and all the icons do the "traditional wiggle" including the one you were pressing to start with.

5) You can now move this icon where you wish.

FYI: There is a bit of a lag in moving the apps around

The x in the corner of the app icon is hidden while moving the app.

• When you release the app where is a delay be patient. Then the app jumps to align to the grid and redisplays the x in the app corner.

I kept wanting to put it in a folder and was trying to use the popup menu which doesn't work.

• When the pop-up menu is displays.... Ignore it and keep pressing until the wiggle of all icons starts.

Hope this helps!

Oct 4, 2019 9:42 AM in response to laisis

Aha! I finally figured out why Paul's trick wasn't working for me.

I was disabling the WRONG zoom setting.

I had gone into the Display settings and disabled the Zoom view there...but it looks like we have to disable Zoom in the Accessibility setting to fix the app re-arranging bug.

Important distinction I missed...and others might run into the same thing.

I'm relieved to be able to re-arrange apps now. Thanks!

Sep 20, 2019 9:42 AM in response to DaliGR

Same problem. Don't know if Apple changed the procedure or if the new iOS is broken. Almost impossible to move icons on the Home Screen. Sometimes, if you move an icon onto the exact perfect pixel, it will start to jiggle again and stay in place but most times it will stay frozen (not jiggling) where you place it and when you press the home button it goes back to where it started. VERY frustrating bug in the new iOS.

Sep 20, 2019 10:45 AM in response to lobsterghost1

No, it doesn’t work on my iPhone. I think maybe I have too many apps. But there is no new type of touch to make it work. Also I tried disabling 3dtouch in settings to avoid confusion but stills nothing. If you take a moment to watch my video you will see that I can move the app wherever I want. The problem is the app doesn’t stay there, and after a while goes back to its original place. I saw videos in which there is a “done” button to press when finished rearranging. I never have that button on my screen. I think iOs13 needs another 15 minutes in the oven to be considered a release candidate.

Sep 20, 2019 11:18 AM in response to AlexPc201

Did you push HARD? You won't break your screen. You need to PUSH down on the HARDER than you would have in the past.

I watched your video. When you placed the App on the Dock, you just released your finger. Push on it on the Dock and it will sort of click into place.

We're all going to have retrain our motor skills as this is a shift from how it worked in the past. But I've now moved apps in and out of folder, pages and in and out of the dock and with the right pressure, it works.

Sep 20, 2019 11:44 AM in response to AlexPc201

Since you updated to iOS 13, have you rebooted your iPhone? I reboot after EVERY iOS update, which often cures odd little niggles.

On iPhone 8:

Press and quickly release volume up button

Then press and quickly release volume down button

Then press and keep holding power button (hold past swipe to power off) until the Apple Logo appears, then let go

Sep 20, 2019 11:49 AM in response to lobsterghost1

rbrylawski wrote:

1. Try this. I just spent the last few minutes and it worked every time.

Rest your finger on the app you want to move until the option box comes up
2. Tap Rearrange
3. The apps jiggle
4. NOW, put your finger on the app and press HARDER on the app icon and slowly move it where you want to move it, keeping more pressure on the app as you slide your finger around

It took me a couple of tries to get it right. If you don't press hard enough, you can still move the icon but you can't get it to stay anyplace. I noticed that when I did it wrong, the little "x" disappeared from the icon. When I did it correctly, it stayed.

Unable to rearrange app icons in ios 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.