Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 11 can't sync with itunes

I am unable to sync my new iPhone 11 via iTunes, i had to restore from a cloud save from couple days ago as opposed to last nights MacBook backup. Ive tried two different MacBook pros both recognize the phone and prompt it to trust computer. i trust but after that nothing happens from the usb device tree i can see that the phone is connected. I also plugged in my friends iPhone thats running iOS 13 and same thing mac prompts to trust on the device but won't sync after allowing it. i decided to connect my old iPhone 7 from which i made the backup from thats running iOS 12 it connected just fine, i was then able to connect another iPhone running 12.4 . Both of my Macs are running high sierra and the most current iTunes

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 10:43 PM

for some odd reason iTunes needs to download a update to work with iPhone 11 but iTunes won't trigger the download and when you launch the mac app store it tells you everything is up to date. The way i was able to get iTunes to trigger the download was to re-download iTunes not a updated version since i already had 12.8.2.3 installed which is the most current version for my system. after downloading it and installing it, i launched iTunes, plugged in iPhone 11 and as soon as i did that iTunes prompted me to download a small update to work with this iPhone.

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2019 10:43 PM in response to jayplz

for some odd reason iTunes needs to download a update to work with iPhone 11 but iTunes won't trigger the download and when you launch the mac app store it tells you everything is up to date. The way i was able to get iTunes to trigger the download was to re-download iTunes not a updated version since i already had 12.8.2.3 installed which is the most current version for my system. after downloading it and installing it, i launched iTunes, plugged in iPhone 11 and as soon as i did that iTunes prompted me to download a small update to work with this iPhone.

Oct 7, 2019 4:15 PM in response to jayplz

For iOS 12 or later you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required. iOS 13 likely requires iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

Oct 29, 2019 2:43 PM in response to vaughn0810

For iOS 13 you likely need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If you still need to redownload iTunes try iTunes for Mac installers - Apple Community.

tt2

Feb 12, 2020 6:04 PM in response to Diana hyatt

For iOS 13 you likely need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

If you still need to redownload iTunes try iTunes for Mac installers - Apple Community.

tt2

Sep 24, 2019 4:11 AM in response to jayplz

did not work for me

unable to manually backup, all button are grey

except restore backup :(

I had the problem with photos albums that where all mixed on the iphone

Had all albums but inside there were pictures that were not from the album.

i removed all pictures for the iphone, but now am unable to restore all albums :(

any idea ??

Sep 29, 2019 2:31 PM in response to me_2_

I have been having so many issues too with iTunes and my phone. All my songs are not syncing. I checked the ones I wanted than nothing happens. My Mac has the latest update this morning. Took forever and then my iPhone 11 needed another update did it all. It’s only allowing download by iCloud. It’s still not working for manual sync. I really hope they fix this issue. It’s got to be all software related.

Oct 15, 2019 7:36 AM in response to jayplz

I too had all these issues....here's the deal:

Finder is where your iPhone will be recognized - yes, Finder.

Plug your iPhone 11 Pro (in my case) into your Mac, open up Finder, "trust" this computer, and bam, there it is...along with all the menu options once found in iTunes, now Apple Music.

Ironically, when I did the above, and again went into Apple Music, miraculously, the iPhone was also recognized there...go figure!!

Oct 17, 2019 4:08 AM in response to jayplz

I got iTunes to trigger the download by putting my phone into restore mode:

• Connect iPhone to computer via Lightning cable

• Launch iTunes (You can ignore the trust computer messages)

• In quick succession, press volume up, volume down and the side button (do not let go at this step). Continue holding the side button until iTunes responds with finding an iPhone in restore mode. Let go and follow the prompts to download the update.

Oct 25, 2019 1:20 PM in response to ShermieKay

I haven’t tried again to sun music on my new phone was hoping they fixed the issue by now with the new Catalina on Macs. But I noticed that after I downloaded all my music manually to my phone it is not on my phone any more it’s still back in iCloud ! They need to do their jobs ! Apple is disappointing a lot of customers

Nov 7, 2019 3:48 AM in response to jayplz

Yes, if you have Mojave, then you need to update to the latest version first. Then, connect your Iphone 11 to your computer, and sync it. You will be asked to update. Once you finish, your device will display, and you can sync your music into the Iphone 11. You do not need to update to the Catalan OS (which is what the first AppleCare representative told me). The second AppleCare representative told me to erase my Iphone settings and "restore" factory settings -- which was also wrong advice (thankfully, I did not listen to him). The thread above is accurate. It is surprising to me that AppleCare support does not know the answer -- or, will not acknowledge the issue (both AppleCare representatives said they had never heard of this problem before, which I find unbelievable after several weeks). Anyway, updating Mojave to the latest version is the way to go.

Nov 8, 2019 8:41 PM in response to jayplz

I found out the reason why!!

I had this same issue. The current software on iTunes is not compatible with the new iOS13 and or 13.2. What you have to do is open up iTunes and it will ask you to trust the computer on your phone. It might give you the error screen telling you that it’s unable to connect or it might not. Either way, you need to go to the top bar in iTunes and click on “help” and there will be an option on the drop down bar and it will say “check for updates” or something along the lines of that. Then it will give you an option to update it to 12.10.2. Select the update and hit “run”. After it finishes updating, this should solve the connection issue. However, if you click on the “check for updates” and the update does not come up, uninstall iTunes and reinstall it. The notification for an update should follow after re-downloading iTunes. The newest iOS updates are changing so rapidly, that apples other softwares are not updating as quickly and/or automatically like the phones are. This is why checking for updates is necessary! Hopefully this solves everyone’s issue!

Nov 30, 2019 9:20 PM in response to AlanW64

That's how it worked out for me too. My update dialog was behind about six windows. It seems particularly insane and just brutal toward their customers that Apple doesn't tell any information about what is going to be upgraded. I was afraid it was going to try to start installing Catalina on my MacBook Pro. It would have been nice to have some kind of patch ID to search for and make an informed decision as to whether to install it or not.

iphone 11 can't sync with itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.