Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay not working after IOS 13 update

I updated to IOS 13 this morning, and Apple Pay no longer works. When I place my phone over the device in store, it registers it's there and wakes the phone, but doesn't bring up the card and allow a payment to be made. I've removed the card, and re-added it, and it is still happening. Any ideas?

iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 1:23 AM

I have same problem on SE updated to iOS 13 on Friday, which had worked fine up until after the update.

Locked screen showed unlock key pad when placed close to Point of Sale (POS) device, then went to normal Home Screen when unlocked. Never went to Apple Pay screen.

Called Apple Support. After testing online, determined NFC chip functioning correctly.

Found Settings>Touch ID & Passcode>"Allow Access When Closed" defaulted to OFF. Reset to ON.

Unfortunately, cannot test until I access a POS device later in week.

Have similar problem with 6 and 6 Plus when updated to 12.4 in last few months. Thought old phones were dying. Apple Support tested both phones online, determined NFC chip functioning correctly. Will continue trying to recover those with resets and possible 8 hour round trip to Apple Store.

66 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2019 1:23 AM in response to t.j.harris

I have same problem on SE updated to iOS 13 on Friday, which had worked fine up until after the update.

Locked screen showed unlock key pad when placed close to Point of Sale (POS) device, then went to normal Home Screen when unlocked. Never went to Apple Pay screen.

Called Apple Support. After testing online, determined NFC chip functioning correctly.

Found Settings>Touch ID & Passcode>"Allow Access When Closed" defaulted to OFF. Reset to ON.

Unfortunately, cannot test until I access a POS device later in week.

Have similar problem with 6 and 6 Plus when updated to 12.4 in last few months. Thought old phones were dying. Apple Support tested both phones online, determined NFC chip functioning correctly. Will continue trying to recover those with resets and possible 8 hour round trip to Apple Store.

Mar 11, 2020 10:16 PM in response to NatalieNewham

Hi All, so i was able to fix my phone myself , check this link out https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/445929/iPhone+SE+NFC+antenna+not+working+after+housing+replacement#answer541705

I recently got my phone repaired from Apple and looks like they damaged this screw while replacing my battery.

I reached out Apple to help and they were unable to help me and asked me to buy a new phone, fortunately i read this article and tried to check if this was the issue and to my amazement yes the screw and the whole unit was never screwed in properly so the ApplePay was not working since last few months. I have fixed my phone and left apple and the Authorized service center a feedback i hope they take some action

Sep 21, 2019 3:51 AM in response to t.j.harris

Same on my SE. I got it working yesterday (after a failure) for one transaction by putting the phone into standby and then going back in, and then trying it, but it didn’t seem to work today. It used to just automatically work when the phone was near the payment device with no interaction beyond my fingerprint to okay it. It’s never failed like this before the update.

Sep 22, 2019 4:15 PM in response to Eepzy

Allow access when closed has nothing to do with this issue! That’s only for you to be able to double click to open your wallet when your phone is locked (which I think it’s kind of annoying). You don’t need that option to be toggled on. Usually when you hold your phone in close proximity to the reader the NFC triggers and opens the wallet automatically; so no need for double clicking at all.

I think it’s just an iOS 13 problem for now. Hopefully it gets solved with ios13.1 on September 25.

Sep 23, 2019 9:36 PM in response to Ed789

I understand your explanation why “Allow Access...” should not be involved with this problem, but Apple Pay on my SE is now working, and several others responding to this stream have indicated that after turning Wallet to On under “Access...” has solved their problem. I have seen no updates to iOS 13 on my iPhone since Friday, 20 September.

Long experience with any software/logic based devices is that somethings just don’t make sense.

Sep 23, 2019 10:23 PM in response to bgeeoz

You are absolutely correct! I was mistakenly looking for this under ”Wallet & Apple Pay “ menu. I didn’t realize that “allow access” is also listed under “Touch ID & passcode” menu as well, which is the correct place to look for.

This actually resolved the problem on my I phone 7 plus as well:)

Thank you all for your help!

Sep 24, 2019 3:55 AM in response to t.j.harris

I found a slight answer. I remember apple create the ‘raise to wake’ feature because Touch ID was too fast. Looks like the timing has gone off again on iOS13 as about 70% of the time a double click will unlock the phone, not access Apple Pay.

The fix - you can always access Apple pay by swiping down from the top of the screen (when unlocked) then double tapping the home button. More reliable than trying 10 times to access it from the lock screen

Apple Pay not working after IOS 13 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.