Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro getting HOT

Just received my iPhone 11 Pro and after a few minutes of light use, the back and sides heat up to where I can barely hold the phone. Any ideas?

iPhone

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 7:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 6:04 AM

My wife got hers yesterday and we were quite amazed at the amount of heat put off by this phone while transferring data and settings from her iPhone 8 Plus. I thought it would get better after the setup, but even normal use and charging, it still gets pretty warm. I hope this isn't a sign of problems to come. I can't think that this heat issue would be good for battery life.

373 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2019 6:04 AM in response to j0nj0nn

My wife got hers yesterday and we were quite amazed at the amount of heat put off by this phone while transferring data and settings from her iPhone 8 Plus. I thought it would get better after the setup, but even normal use and charging, it still gets pretty warm. I hope this isn't a sign of problems to come. I can't think that this heat issue would be good for battery life.

Sep 23, 2019 9:11 AM in response to j0nj0nn

I am having the same issue contacted support and they advised me to do a restore through itunes, ontop of that my battery life is draining abnormally fast. After just 4 hours of me making 2 phone calls lasting less than 10 minutes and listening to spotify while at the gym. Also noted i have my iwatch and head phones at the gym, with apple boasting about the 17hrs of battery life while watching videos i am not pleased with the results in the last two days of owning this phone. The only reason why i contacted support is due to my wife telling me her iphone 11 does not have that issue and finding out this morning shes been streaming music and taking phone calls at work she is at 94% and she has been up since 0400..... I hope the restore fixes the issue i will check back in after a day or two of doing so!

Sep 24, 2019 7:03 AM in response to j0nj0nn

I received my iPhone 11 Pro on Friday and notice my phone getting hot while using GPS on Saturday and then again on Monday. It was uncomfortably hot and to hold. I took it to Apple Monday evening and they informed me that as long as the phone doesn’t shut down or give the the too hot alert then it is fine. I still think something is wrong and I will keep a close eye on this.

Sep 24, 2019 7:53 AM in response to j0nj0nn

UPDATE 1: After coming home from the gym and talking with apple support. I went and did a restore through my computer w/ Itunes and than proceeded to restore my phone. I let my phone charge to 80% for the rest of the day and did not have an issue what so ever. upon waking up at 0700 and my phone being 100% it was not blistering hot and did my same morning routine with a little more extra after running 6 miles with my run keeper up doing constant updates and spotify running my phone was not hot and the battery is down to 64% at this moment. I believe that it did fix the issue with the overheating but with apple boasting about the 17 Hours of battery life with video playback i am skeptical. I hope this helps every one.

Sep 27, 2019 8:55 AM in response to JShaneEvans

That's nonsense; it has always been trivial to get a high CPU load app like Facebook, Maps or a graphics intensive app to get the iPhone to heat up substantially, as all heat dissipation has to happen through the case as it has no heat sinks or fan.

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Though this is becoming more of an issue as the processing power in each new generation of iPhone increases.

A combination of bad programming and a more powerful CPU result in heat generation, and the link I posted earlier shows that Apple expects the phone to get warm if not toasty under CPU-intensive circumstances.

That could be graphics editing or an app that is stuck in a loop; the CPU can't differentiate which.

Jul 5, 2020 11:11 AM in response to j0nj0nn

Hello,

In this condition you need or require to make the phone temperature down by placing phone in to some cooler atmosphere or in air conditioning room(not in refrigerator). If you are using any type of iphone cover then remove that cover until it get cooler down.

To know that your iphone contains some major problem or not then you can check that by getting notification of over temperature or iphone needs to be cooled down. If you get this notification then your iphone is in problem.

You can try another way as open iphone camera and try to turn on the Flash light and capture image. If iphone says “iphone need to be cooled down to use the flash light” then you have to turn off your device and wait till the temperature gets down.

Else:

You have to check your battery optimisation

you can get more details about from the Official link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210512

Thanks.

Sep 29, 2019 12:41 PM in response to j0nj0nn

I have read through all posts and want to offer my 2 cents

My iphone 11 pro was normal until I started using the keynote app. It heated up real fast to a point that it is uncomfortably hot (within 1 min). Whenever I switch to other apps, the phone starts to cool. If I switch keynote on, phone starts cooking again. That’s obviously very weird, then I found this thread.

So following the discussion, I made sure my iOS is up to date on 13.1.1. Then I checked my “battery” tab in the settings, 10 min of using keynote consumed 15% battery, while the whole day of using other apps only make up 85%. Keynote is essential to me in my job, so deleting it is not an option. I also didn’t want to “reset all settings”. Instead, I closed settings>general>background app refresh. That totally fixed the problem

To sum up, here is what you can do if your phone is heating up abnormally

1. make sure it’s running the latest iOS
  2. check which app consumed the most energy under settings>battery>battery usage by app, delete the problematic app if it’s not essential
  3. close the “background refresh” of that app (check other battery saving tips online, it could be other tricks)
  4. if none of the above worked, reset all setting (settings>general>reset>reset all settings)
  5. still no luck, contact apple for replacement

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro getting HOT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.