Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Stuttering Issues | iPhone 11 Pro Max | iOS 13

My audio (from all apps) playback on Bluetooth devices is stuttering making it sound kinda like static. Currently on iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13. My prior iPhone XS Max on iOS 13 worked perfectly. So it's either the iPhone 11 Pro Max or iOS 13 on it in particular. Anybody else experiencing the same issues? Thanks!

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 1:13 AM

Same. iPhone 11 Pro. Haven’t tried disabling Hey Siri yet, but have noticed that Hey Siri is half broken compared to my XS and all phones prior (like super slow to hear me, and even slower to do anything once it has heard my command). They really can’t do stable releases any more can they (top few most valuable companies in the world etc etc). And we’re a good few patch versions in now...

197 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2019 1:13 AM in response to Doren_Sean_Michael

Same. iPhone 11 Pro. Haven’t tried disabling Hey Siri yet, but have noticed that Hey Siri is half broken compared to my XS and all phones prior (like super slow to hear me, and even slower to do anything once it has heard my command). They really can’t do stable releases any more can they (top few most valuable companies in the world etc etc). And we’re a good few patch versions in now...

Jul 7, 2020 5:40 PM in response to lefty175

Going back to the previous discussion I participated in on this which had literally thousands of people saying they had this issue, it looks like it's been affecting me since the iOS 11.3 update. I have went through an iPhone 7 Plus, two 8+ handsets and 2 iPhone X devices and now an iPhone 11 Pro Max and this issue has followed me through all of these devices. I go through months at a time with no issue whatsoever then all of a sudden it just starts up out of nowhere. It is either an iCloud backup issue or it's some device at my house interfering with it because if I recall correctly, this is never an issue when I am away from home. The biggest thing that annoys me about that theory though is why it only affects my phone and not any other iDevice in my house! So annoying. Don't expect Apple to do anything about it because this issue has been running for years.

Previous discussion

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8408058?answerId=250720459022&page=29

Mar 14, 2020 3:18 AM in response to wildfox

Right, so here's my definitive "tried everything" list...

• I spoke with Apple customer services (this phone is less than a year old) and they were actually not condescending (recognizing that it was several Bluetooth devices so obviously the phone or software). After a few diagnostics he recommended a full reinstall, we parted company there as this is a company phone and I wasn't about to mess up the settings and installation....but we'll come back to this.
  • Contacted company IT - they said "go for it" and gave me instructions on reinstalling the right software.
  • So I backed up in iTunes and went for it. Totally fresh install. Before I installed ANYTHING else after the boot I tried the devices again - no luck, still stuttering, dropping or doing that weird thing where you get a millisecond of sound, then the volume bar jumps up, its silent for a while and then it drops the connection.
  • So I reinstalled the backup, no sense in suffering with a fresh build if it didn't solve the problem. Customer service said that the iOS would be fresh anyway - still not working. Started to self-doubt so pulled out another set of headphones to check (Parrot Ziks), does exactly the same thing as the Airpods (the weird split second music, jumping volume bar and dropping).
  • I also tried to downgrade phone to a 12 iOS (12.4.1 and up). Seems impossible now as Apple stopped signing them, so iTunes just throws up an error (3194 I think) whenever I try.
  • Started looking at Huawei phones online (company offers a scheme where you can bring your own phone), this is so poor from Apple it just might be the end of my relationship with them.

PS Phone (6s) is now running iOS 13.3.1. C'mon Apple, PLEASE sort this out with 13.4.

Jul 15, 2020 6:57 AM in response to MikeG_NY

So the steps I took last night were:

Take my phone out of the case firstly to test..

1. Erase the phone, set up as new phone with my sim card inserted to activate.
  2. Do not connect to Wifi
  3. Do not sign into Apple account or iCloud or restore any settings
  4. Connect to wireless speaker and stream a podcast
  5. Didn't work, still skipping and cutting out for 2-3 seconds at a time

Then I tried the following:

1. Erase the phone, set up as new phone with my sim card removed
  2. Connect to home Wifi to activate
  3. Do not sign into Apple account or iCloud or restore any settings
  4. Connect to wireless speaker and stream same podcast
  5. Didn't work, still skipping and cutting out for 2-3 seconds at a time

Then I went and got my wife's iPhone X, and set it exactly where I ran the test on my iPhone 11 Pro Max

Connect to same wireless speaker and stream same podcast from my test

Music streams flawlessly, no interference or drops in connection, totally stable Bluetooth connection

FYI both phones running 13.5.1 firmware

My conclusion is that there is nothing wrong with my phone hardware wise and since I never signed into iCloud or restored any settings, the issue isn't software related either. The only thing I can think of is interference from another device that my phone was once connected to that is located near the room I performed the tests. I have an Amazon echo dot in the room next to it and an Echo Show in the room directly below it. I have connected my phone to both those speakers in the past to use as a bluetooth speaker ("Alexa connect my phone", and pairing with the Echo to stream music from my phone to the speaker") You have to say "Alexa, disconnect my phone" to disconnect the phone. Your phone is then saved in the Echo memory should you try to connect again. My wife has never connected to any of the Echos this way with her phone.

Next step is to perform the test again with my phone streaming music and then go and switch off each of the Echo devices one by one and see if it stops the bluetooth interference.

Nov 16, 2019 5:26 AM in response to nkwpt

After software update IOS 13.2 every call is static and caller says it sounds like I’m in water talking. Much worse if I have hotspot on connected to another device. I haven’t tried Siri turned off. Maybe after update it was automatically turn on. I always turn Siri off because it’s more aggravating than useful. According to the software update it was supposed to fix Bluetooth issues not create or make them worse.

Nov 19, 2019 7:03 PM in response to Srdono

Just completed another software upgrade 13.2.3, disable Siri, unplugged phone from charger, and still heavy static. Adjust transmit volume, stereo volume, phone volume same issues. You would think Apple would focus on one off the most important features of smart phone technology. I got customer stickers for texting an emoji but I can’t take a hands free call!! It’s BULLSHIT! I want a refund on the phone at this point !

Nov 26, 2019 4:43 PM in response to m9679

Yes, confirmed, turning off Hey Siri makes the crackling problem go away for me, after the first couple of seconds at least. I do still have random Bluetooth connection partial or full failures in the car however. I think that is connected to the general BT issues with iPhone 11, but also separate from the crackling problem. Given how slow/useless Siri is with this new phone it isn't too much of a loss to have to turn off the Hey Siri function. But yeah, they were able to make those two co-existing in all previous phones (since Hey Siri was introduced) so you'd hope they can fix this issue also.

Nov 29, 2019 12:35 PM in response to m9679

I am having the same issue. Stuttering bluetooth connection in my 2017 VW Polo GT.

While playing music and/or having a call I experience stuttering and sometimes disconnection of bluetooth.

I experience no issues while having the phone in my pocket in the driver’s seat.

Also, disabling Siri made no differences.

The issue persists when the phone is mounted by the car’s vents.

I am using an iPhone 11 Pro.

I have been testing the connection with an iPhone 11 Pro Max with the same results.

Also tested with an iPhone 8 with no issues.

Dec 3, 2019 5:56 AM in response to Doren_Sean_Michael

I am having the same issue. I had the iPhone X with no issues at all and upgraded to the 11 pro when my daughters phone went out. Now when I talk on the phone in the car it is a lot of static and then I will have some clear moments in the conversation then back to static. I just tried to turn “hey Siri” off after seeing so many people say that helped. It didn’t help on my end. I am going to keep trying to resolve it because it’s driving me nuts

Dec 3, 2019 4:25 PM in response to Ms_T104

I understand where you are coming from I have reset my phone twice to factory settings, first phone call ok, then goes back to

sounding like a robot and static. I have contacted apple care, gone through all the trouble shooting, called them from my car so that could hear how it sounded, still no resolution, been in touch with my telco, still not getting anywhere, my phone is only 4 weeks old and is so frustrating, my next phone call will be to the ombudsman. good luck everyone

Bluetooth Stuttering Issues | iPhone 11 Pro Max | iOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.