Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 - Siri not working with bluetooth helmet

I upgraded from an iPhone 8 to the iPhone 11 Pro, and now Siri does not work anymore when being activated via the "voice command" button on my helmet's bluetooth headset.

Specifically - when I activate Siri using the headset, Siri gets activated correctly and asks "What can I help you with". But when I ask her anything (ex. "what time is it"), she first says "just a moment", then "hold the line please", eventually erroring out with a "Sorry, I'm having trouble with the connection. Please try again in a moment".

If instead, still with the helmet on, I activate Siri by tapping the Siri button on the phone, and then issue the "what time is it" command, she answers immediately.

I also tested with the first version of the AirPods, and Siri activates and responds just fine with those.

The phone is not in driving mode. It's using WiFi and the router is 3ft behind me. The issue is thus not a connection issue, but simply a nice big bug related to bluetooth.

I never had this problem with previous iPhone models. Is anyone experiencing similar issues?

A video showing the symptom is here:

https://logsat.box.com/s/f1970rnts64gs9c4lrzam5dkdn4968nb

Phone: IPhone 11 Pro

Headset - Sena 10c

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 1:02 PM

There's a possibility that the helmet is not compatible with the iPhone 11 series or possibly iOS 13. You'll want to check with them to see if there's a firmware update. Also, you could try completely forgetting the helmet in your Bluetooth settings on the phone and setting it up as a new device.

Similar questions

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2019 1:02 PM in response to ik8sqi

There's a possibility that the helmet is not compatible with the iPhone 11 series or possibly iOS 13. You'll want to check with them to see if there's a firmware update. Also, you could try completely forgetting the helmet in your Bluetooth settings on the phone and setting it up as a new device.

Jan 23, 2020 6:56 PM in response to KGTDocTaylor

I'm so happy to see other users are having this issue. It bugged me so badly months ago but there was no info online. Heres what i did that seemed to work

1. Unpair your headset
  2. Hard reboot the phone (volume up, volume down, hole power button till the phone reboots on its own, don't use the slider)
  3. pair your helmet again

From what I can tell the issue has something to do with applying an iOS update so you need to re-pair your bluetooth devices afterwards to ensure functionality.

Sep 23, 2019 1:40 PM in response to anypats

Thanks for the reply, but I'm doubtful that (firmware) is the issue. Siri activates and hears the command from the headset just fine. But once I finish talking the phone thinks there's a network connectivity issue, which makes no sense. The pairing with the headset was a brand new pairing as when migrating from one phone to another, all the bluetooth connections have to be re-established. Resetting all pairings from the headset did not help either.

Sep 23, 2019 5:51 PM in response to anypats

Thanks - both an iPhone 8 and another 11 Pro worked (both iOS 13), so I kept insisting with troubleshooting. While rebooting the phone using the "usual" slider didn't help, I eventually tried using the "Settings - General - Shutdown" command and then turning it back on. This method of rebooting it was what eventually fixed the issue.

Odd...!

Sep 25, 2019 10:09 AM in response to ik8sqi

I have the absolutely exact same problem, except I'm using a Cardo Freecom 2 unit.

I've being using iOS 13 beta versions and I expected they would fix it for public release, but no, problem persists.

I'm in touch with headset's manufacturer in hope for some new firmware release to fix the problem.

Even really odd, I'll try this shutdown later today, hope it works for me too!!

Oct 7, 2019 1:11 AM in response to paulo.grego

I was having the same problem with Siri through my Freecom 4+ after upgrading to the release version of iOS 13 (including 13.1.2) on my iPhone X. After I said "Hey Siri", I received the acknowledgment tone. I then issued the command and after a lengthy pause she replied with an error message saying there was a problem with the connection and to try again later. Siri worked fine when the command was issued directly to the iPhone rather than through the Freecom mic inside my helmet. I used the Settings -> General -> Shutdown suggestion above and this fixed the problem.

Oct 8, 2019 4:35 AM in response to ik8sqi

Darn it happened again. After several days of working just fine, out-of-the-blue this morning the same issue started occurring. I again tried switching back between issuing the commands via bluetooth (Siri kept repeating there was a problem with the connection) and issuing them via Siri by talking directly into the phone (it worked just fine). Also AGAIN forgetting the Sena bluetooth from the iPhone bluetooth settings, and doing a "removing all pairings" from the helmet didn't help.

What DID work again was doing a complete shutdown of the iPhone using the procedure described in the original post. This is clearly an iOS bug... FYI I went thru all Apple's updates these past weeks, and am now on iOS 13.1.2.

Oct 8, 2019 4:20 PM in response to ik8sqi

Interesting. I'm using a Cardo rather than a Sena so it does seem to be an iOS bug. Mine is still worjking fine since I did the reset. In fact, Siri's response is noticably faster. Whenever I ask her to close the garage door as I ride away, the command is executed within 1-2 seconds whereas it used to take up to 10 seconds.

Oct 10, 2019 1:58 AM in response to ik8sqi

I'm getting this problem too with a Sena 10C after I upgraded my iPhone X to iOS 13. It all worked perfectly before upgrading. I've removed the device from the phone and re-added it and also upgraded the firmware on the Sena 10C to the latest version which is compatible with iOS 13. I needed to do this firmware upgrade in order for the Sena software to recognise the 10C headset from iOS13.

Oct 22, 2019 4:53 PM in response to ik8sqi

I had same problem with Cardo responding correctly to “Hey Siri” but Siri not responding. Was fixed by Resetting Network Settings on IPhone (XR). But does anybody else have problems with the microphone hearing the Cardo correctly, but not Siri correctly above 10 or 15 mph? Full face helmet, using the microphone that Velcro’s to the front inside part of the helmet. Very frustrating.

Oct 22, 2019 7:40 PM in response to kkenmail

I am not having that ssue. I have used Hey Siri and Hey Cardo commands at over 100km/h (60mph) without any issues. I do find that I have to speak at a normal level. If I shout or speak loudly it only sometimes works. If I speak in a normal voice, no problems. It might be worth experimenting with rhe "VOX Sensitivity" setting on the Cardo Community page. I have mine set to Medium (default).

Nov 21, 2019 6:18 PM in response to anypats

It's a shame that this answer is listed as "apple recommend" here. It's incorrect and hides the answers that provide a workaround for this bug later in the thread. If you have the ability to remove your comment, it would be helpful. This appears to be the only place where people have shared their solution. I started having this problem witha helmet-based bluetooth unit shortly (not immediately) after upgrading to iOS 13. It's odd, and it's clearly an iOS bug, and it's extremely frustrating when it happens to you.

iPhone 11 - Siri not working with bluetooth helmet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.