Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mixed up album art in iTunes after ios 13.1 upgrade

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 5:19 PM

I had the same annoying problem, but was able to fix it relatively painlessly using iTunes as follows:

1. Started itunes, connected my iphone 11, and unchecked "sync all my music". This effectively removed all the music from my phone.
  2. Synced my iphone with itunes.
  3. Disconnected my phone from itunes
  4. Removed the Music app, restarted my iphone and reloaded the music app. This loaded only the purchased items (not all the music on my library from my CDs, etc.)
  5. Reconnected my phone and this time went to 'music' and selected "sync all my music" and synced my iphone with itunes again. This synced my approx 7300 songs completely with all the album art assigned to the correct artists.

Good luck!

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2019 5:19 PM in response to iMoMo1978

I had the same annoying problem, but was able to fix it relatively painlessly using iTunes as follows:

1. Started itunes, connected my iphone 11, and unchecked "sync all my music". This effectively removed all the music from my phone.
  2. Synced my iphone with itunes.
  3. Disconnected my phone from itunes
  4. Removed the Music app, restarted my iphone and reloaded the music app. This loaded only the purchased items (not all the music on my library from my CDs, etc.)
  5. Reconnected my phone and this time went to 'music' and selected "sync all my music" and synced my iphone with itunes again. This synced my approx 7300 songs completely with all the album art assigned to the correct artists.

Good luck!

Sep 26, 2019 10:40 AM in response to iMoMo1978

Hi iMoMo1978,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're seeing incorrect album artwork after updating to iOS 13.1.

To clarify, is this happening in the Music app specifically? In which view are you seeing this? For example, in Playlists, Albums, Artists, Songs, or all of those?

Does it help if you Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?

Are you using an Apple Music subscription, or are you syncing content from iTunes?

If you use Apple Music, try tapping Settings > Music and turn Sync Library off and back on. If you sync from iTunes, connect your device and uncheck "Sync Music" in your device summary and click Apply, and then re-sync your content to see if this helps: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer

If the issue persists, I recommend that you Contact Apple Support.

Take care.

Oct 24, 2019 2:51 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hello there,

I was having the same problem after ios 13.1.3 upgrade on iPhone XS MAX. However yesterday I synced my phone to iTunes and removed all playlists and reloaded them again. Then I went to phone and edited the music menus and removed playlists, albums, artist etc... Then . I proceeded to add them back on. After that in the music app I saw at the very top a message saying that my playlists were no synced to either iTunes or music app (can't remember. SORRY). So I went ahead and clicked on it anyway and it fixed all my album arttwork. That was weird but it worked ;)

Nov 14, 2019 9:40 AM in response to oled

That is useful and most obvious way for people who have not much music on devices: just remove everything and sync it back.

But what you can recommend for more complicated case?

if I can't just resync all my music library, because it is so huge and I don't want all of those on my device. And it is really a job to do to restore my current library on iPhone if I do it album by album, song by song or artist by artist.

Nov 14, 2019 1:02 PM in response to V-tallica

I tried this twice and it did not work. I have been on the phone with Apple support for several days, after extended diagnostics from my iPad they still could not fix it. The Apple engineers advice is to wait for updates. Other than that they can’t solve the problem. I do not expect Apple to turn my album artwork into a mess. Disappointing.

Dec 8, 2019 10:26 AM in response to iMoMo1978

So I had the same issue, and what I had to do is sync an album a lot of times with my phone and delete it, because the artwork is mixing up only with the artworks which you can see when you open the music app, so from the first to the last. What it did was, basically give that album I've been syncing all the covers that you see on the opening page, until it had no more, so it gave the album its original artwork. Kinda longer, and I don't know if the problem will go again with other music, but it did work.

Dec 25, 2019 6:00 AM in response to Heydude

I had this problem as well (new iPhone 11 Pro Max but iTunes on Windows 10 PC). Followed your steps (thank for them) and it seemed to work just fine. All the artwork for albums, songs, and playlists were back to normal. The problem now is that as I play the music by opening the albums or playlists the art work starts to become corrupt again. Sometimes its the wrong artwork sometimes the artwork is blank where it used to have the correct artwork. While it's not the wholesale corruption of the artwork as before, it still needs to be addressed by Apple.

Jan 12, 2020 2:40 AM in response to SidWilkins

Yes I agree when are Apple going to do something about this, it’s shoddy and annoying to see all the artwork mixed up. I was on the phone to Apple support for over a week and after engineers investigating the head of support trying to fix it nobody could do anything. I’ve tried everything myself re-syncing several times deleting the Music app putting it back on again and none of this works. I was on the phone to Apple support for over a week and after engineers investigating and the head of support trying to fix it nobody could solve it. They told me to wait for a fix and keep doing regular updates all of which I’ve done. I’ve tried everything myself sinking rethinking several times deleting the music app putting it back on again nothing works. Come on Apple fix it!!

Jan 19, 2020 2:32 PM in response to iMoMo1978

Upgraded my iphone R to ios 13, all of my music is imported from CDs.

Everything fine until started importing new CDs.

Now everything gets the same artwork from the same 2 albums.

Have > 18 G of music and would rather not delete and reimport.

Also occasionally getting albums locked for "not available in region" nonsense. Only cure is delete and re-import.

Very disappointed in Apple's quality and response on this.

Feb 8, 2020 2:58 PM in response to iMoMo1978

Having the same problem with mixed-up playlist artwork in the Library view on my iPad Pro since upgrading to iOS 13.

I’m syncing to iTunes 12.7.3 on my old 2011 iMac running Sierra. Wary of upgrading my Mac OS any future due to its age.

I have a hunch that Apple isn’t overly concerned with backwards compatibility for machines as old as mine. I guess 9 years is a good run for a computer, maybe this is just a harbinger of coming issues that’ll force me to pony up for a new rig.

Feb 15, 2020 2:31 AM in response to AlanCardy

The latest updates still haven’t fixed my Album Art Issues, I’m running Catalina 10.15.3 on my Mac, iPad OS 13.3.1 on my iPad Pro 3rd Gen, and IOS 13.3.1 on my iPhone 11Pro Max. I have over 29K songs on all my devices, and at least a third of the album artwork is missing on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone. I don’t subscribe Apple Music. These are songs I bought from iTunes and ones put on my devices. Some of the album art is not only missing on my iPhone, some of the album art is also mixed up on various albums and playlists. In other words the wrong album art is displayed on some of the albums and playlists, only on the iPhone. I see that some of you said that the latest updates fixed your album art issues. Is it something else I need to do other than syncing my devices to the Mac? I’m beyond frustrated with Apple, because I made several trips to the Genius Bar, talked to various techs and engineers online and by phone, and sent two emails to Mr. Cook over the course of four months regarding these  issues. I feel that Apple should do more to address these annoying issues, because for the amount of money Apple demands for their premium products, we in return demand premium service. I believe if Mr. Jobs were here, he would crack the whip or heads would roll. 

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.