Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Sign in to Complete Purchase" message after updating to Apple Watch OS 6.0

I'm getting the message "Sign in to Complete Purchase" every time on my Apple Watch after installing OS 6. Also, it asks me to login to an old Apple ID that I don't use anymore...

The message keeps popping up on my wrist 4-5 times and then it goes out for a while.

Reeeeeeeally annoying!

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2019 4:35 PM

OK. Here is the fix that worked for me!

1. Open your Apple Watch app on your phone and go to “My Watch”
  2. Go to Settings/General & turn off Automatic App Install.
  3. Now go back to “My Watch” and scroll to the bottom to see “Available Apps”.
  4. Any apps you see that are trying to install are the culprits causing the notifications!
  5. Delete those apps from your phone, and if necessary reinstall them with your Apple ID used currently.
  6. Turn Automatic App Install back on if necessary.

You now wont receive any more of those annoying notifications!

102 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2019 4:35 PM in response to duasoteb

4. Any apps you see that are trying to install are the culprits causing the notifications!
  5. Delete those apps from your phone, and if necessary reinstall them with your Apple ID used currently.

Sep 26, 2019 9:21 AM in response to Watersideguy

It's your watch updating apps to the latest version after upgrading the OS. This happens when you have apps installed that weren't "purchased" using the currently logged in Apple ID. E.g. you changed your Apple ID at some stage, but installed apps linked to your initial/original Apple ID. If you enter the credentials for your old/former ID, you should be able to get through this without compromising anything.

Sep 29, 2019 6:23 AM in response to NirKo

Sep 29, 2019 6:24 AM in response to NirKo

Oct 30, 2019 6:32 AM in response to daisyh126

After you turn off automatic updates in the "App Store" tab did you go back and follow the steps provided above by Waterside Guy?

These are the steps from his list to complete the fix:

1. Now go back to “My Watch” and scroll to the bottom to see “Available Apps”.
  2. Any apps you see that are trying to install are the culprits causing the notifications! (Most apps will say "Install" next to them so it should be easy to see which apps are trying to install)
  3. Delete those apps from your phone, and if necessary reinstall them with your Apple ID used currently.
  4. Turn Automatic App Install back on if necessary.

I hope this helps. I haven't had any issues with the pop-up since I did this.

Jan 2, 2020 5:28 AM in response to Watersideguy

I received the same message as my Apple Watch was trying to "Complete a purchase" with my wife's apple ID. This step by step answer helped solve my issue. Thank you Watersideguy for saving me hours of time of trying to work with Apple tech support!

Sep 26, 2019 9:35 AM in response to duasoteb

Understood - Here's what you can do: Go to the watch app on your phone and disable automatic updates. Now, you'll see which specific updates have failed (i.e. that are associated with an older Apple ID) , so you can delete/remove them and re-download them associated to current Apple ID. Not fun, I know, but it's a fix that works. LMK how you get on?

Sep 27, 2019 3:41 AM in response to Ramrattan

Hi, I'm getting this message a few times per day… aaaaaaaagh!

I checked what you suggested and under General (in Watch app) --> Software Update I dont have unabled automatic updates and still getting this message.

Should I look elsewhere to disable this automatic update and where ca I see this failed updates?

Many thanks for your help.

"Sign in to Complete Purchase" message after updating to Apple Watch OS 6.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.