Question:

Question: "Sign in to Complete Purchase" message after updating to Apple Watch OS 6.0

I'm getting the message "Sign in to Complete Purchase" every time on my Apple Watch after installing OS 6. Also, it asks me to login to an old Apple ID that I don't use anymore...

The message keeps popping up on my wrist 4-5 times and then it goes out for a while.

Reeeeeeeally annoying!

Apple Watch

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

OK. Here is the fix that worked for me!

1. Open your Apple Watch app on your phone and go to “My Watch”
  2. Go to Settings/General & turn off Automatic App Install.
  3. Now go back to “My Watch” and scroll to the bottom to see “Available Apps”.
  4. Any apps you see that are trying to install are the culprits causing the notifications!
  5. Delete those apps from your phone, and if necessary reinstall them with your Apple ID used currently.
  6. Turn Automatic App Install back on if necessary.

You now wont receive any more of those annoying notifications!

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Sep 26, 2019 9:21 AM in response to Watersideguy In response to Watersideguy

It's your watch updating apps to the latest version after upgrading the OS. This happens when you have apps installed that weren't "purchased" using the currently logged in Apple ID. E.g. you changed your Apple ID at some stage, but installed apps linked to your initial/original Apple ID. If you enter the credentials for your old/former ID, you should be able to get through this without compromising anything.

Sep 26, 2019 9:21 AM

Reply Helpful (4)

Sep 26, 2019 9:27 AM in response to Ramrattan In response to Ramrattan

Hey Ramrattan, thanks for your suggestion. But actually, like somebody already said it, I'd only like to know which app is trying to connect through that old Apple ID, so I can remove it.

I don't remember the password for that ID and it would be a pain to go over the reset of it...

Sep 26, 2019 9:27 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Sep 26, 2019 9:35 AM in response to duasoteb In response to duasoteb

Understood - Here's what you can do: Go to the watch app on your phone and disable automatic updates. Now, you'll see which specific updates have failed (i.e. that are associated with an older Apple ID) , so you can delete/remove them and re-download them associated to current Apple ID. Not fun, I know, but it's a fix that works. LMK how you get on?

Sep 26, 2019 9:35 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Sep 26, 2019 9:51 AM in response to duasoteb In response to duasoteb

There's another annoyance... When I try to reset the password for that old ID, Apple's website takes me to my iPhone. After I type my phone's password, it asks for a new password, but that's for my current Apple ID! Some where in the way, it switches IDs and takes me to reset the wrong password! Ugh!

Sep 26, 2019 9:51 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 26, 2019 9:51 AM in response to duasoteb In response to duasoteb

strangely, I find it imposible to disable automatic updates on the watch app on the iPhone. I slide the toggle, exit, and when I go back to the app store item on the app, the toggle is again on automatic updates... well done apple!

Sep 26, 2019 9:51 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 27, 2019 3:41 AM in response to Ramrattan In response to Ramrattan

Hi, I'm getting this message a few times per day… aaaaaaaagh!

I checked what you suggested and under General (in Watch app) --> Software Update I dont have unabled automatic updates and still getting this message.

Should I look elsewhere to disable this automatic update and where ca I see this failed updates?

Many thanks for your help.

Sep 27, 2019 3:41 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: duasoteb

Question: "Sign in to Complete Purchase" message after updating to Apple Watch OS 6.0