Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPod issues since I got my iPhone 11 Pro

Hi all - I got an iPhone 11 Pro on release day and have been having issues ever since with my AirPods. The problem that I am facing is only with using them for talking. I can hear audio fine, including music, etc, but when I try talking people can only occasionally hear me. I have reverted back to using EarPods the past week or so, so that I am able to talk on the phone.

Any ideas? I have updated to 13.1.2 and the issue still exists.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 12:35 PM

60 replies

Sep 30, 2019 12:37 PM in response to justboy

AirPods Help

1. If one of your AirPods isn't working - Apple Support
  2. If your AirPods won't connect - Apple Support
  3. Identify your AirPods - Apple Support
  4. AirPods Support
  5. Connect and use your AirPods
  6. How to Find Lost Apple AirPods
  7. If your AirPods are lost - Apple Support
  8. Replace an AirPod or charging case - Apple Support
  9. AirPods Repair - Official Apple Support
  10. Clean AirPods: Get a flashlight and a toothpick and clean the right AirPod connector in your case then clean the end of the right AirPad. After doing so put them both in the case, leave the lid open, press and hold the button on the back of the case until the light flashes.

Dec 20, 2019 8:50 PM in response to ErinZaborac

Call Apple. File feedback at Feedback - Apple Support. But don't complain here. This is not a complaint site.

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  3. To contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.
  4. For Mac App Store: Apple - Support - Mac App Store.
  5. For iTunes: Apple - Support - iTunes.

FYI: These are user-only forums. You are not speaking to Apple. if you need to speak with Apple Support, then contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Oct 1, 2019 10:33 AM in response to justboy

I’m having the same issues with my iPhone Pro Max....

I have 2 pairs of AirPods, both pairs after being on the phone for 30-40 minutes will either become garbled for me, or garbled to the person I’m Calling. They worked fine on my old iPhone, and they still work fine on calls with my MacBook or my iPad.

i believe that it’s something with the new iPhones that hopefully can be resolved soon. I have first generation AirPods, so it may have something to do with the version?

Sep 30, 2019 7:19 PM in response to justboy

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

"Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase (“Warranty Period”) when used in accordance with Apple`s user manuals (refer to www.apple.com/support/country). Under this warranty, you will be able to direct your claims to Apple even in situations where you purchased the Apple Product from a third party.” [Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty – Accessory - For Apple and Beats Branded Products Only.]

Oct 17, 2019 10:20 PM in response to justboy

Ha! Just sold them on OfferUp about two hours ago. ;)

That other post I mentioned with the watch in it was somewhere in this gargantuan thread. I’m still trolling it because I’m also having a Bluetooth issue with Siri in my car.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250659886

Anyway, thanks for posting this thread. Helped me get to the bottom of the AirPod thing quickly. Until we meet again! ;)

Nov 22, 2019 1:07 PM in response to PicNroll

Here's a novel idea for all of you complaining about your AirPods:

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

"Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase (“Warranty Period”) when used in accordance with Apple`s user manuals (refer to www.apple.com/support/country). Under this warranty, you will be able to direct your claims to Apple even in situations where you purchased the Apple Product from a third party.” [Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty – Accessory - For Apple and Beats Branded Products Only.]

Jan 2, 2020 3:55 AM in response to Dr0

I just followed the advice posted by Michele above and it has resolved my issue.

m1chelle

User level:

Level 1

(4 points)

Nov 24, 2019 12:56 PM in response to smorland

I have the iPhone 11 Pro and purchased the AirPod Pros today. They connected fine at first but then even though showing connected nothing was playing. They then kept disconnecting.

I tried them on my husbands iPhone X, still same issue.

Resolve was to reset the AirPods, using the following steps....

Open the case, then press and hold the small button on the back of the case. So, that small button on the back of the AirPodCharging Case is the key to resettingthe AirPods. Hold it down for 15 seconds and the LED light on the case will change from white to amber.

Now connected again and playing fine. Just hope it stays that way.

Clearly a bug

Jul 2, 2020 2:10 PM in response to bobbygtr

For whoever is using an iRing or other metal phone holder, if it's placed in a center location on the back of the phone, it'll cause just enough interference to create a static/stutter/dropped bluetooth with AirPods (or other streaming bluetooth device). I went through the software updates and tested other bluetooth devices before realizing it was the iRing blocking bluetooth signals. Once the phone was removed from my case, it works just fine again. So check your cases/iRing/pop holders etc for interference.

Simple fix to such a confounding problem.

Oct 16, 2019 7:21 AM in response to justboy

Learned that if I don't initiate the phone call through the AirPods that the garbled audio in/out does not occur, e.g. start the call from the phone with AirPods in their case and then begin using them after the call has started, or if it's happening (because I started the call with them) and I put them back in the case during the call, then take them back out and start using them again, the issue does not occur. Still an annoying issue but have a temporary workaround.

Thanks for the tip on the genius bar appointment, will try that.

Oct 17, 2019 7:52 PM in response to justboy

So went to Genius Bar and was able to reproduce issue with tech using my first gen. They tried my AirPods in a second gen case just to see if it made a difference. Same issue. Then we tried a demo set of second gen AirPods and voila, no more garble. Not to mention the second gen sound quality is even better than the first gen. They didn’t give me a pair of second gen but they did knock 70 bucks off my purchase since they had no resolution for my out of warranty first gen pair. I’m much happier with the second gens anyway. Battery, Bluetooth range and sound all noticeably improved.

As a side note, did come across a forum post about this Bluetooth issue where the poster had identified that his Apple Watch was somehow interfering. I never tried to rule that out but I do have a series 2 watch in play.

Good luck to those if you still having trouble with this.

Oct 17, 2019 7:58 PM in response to binyacom

Interesting angle about the Apple Watch. I do have a Series 4 so could definitely have contributed to it.

my AirPods we’re luckily still under warranty but glad they at least knocked $ off for you.

If you know somebody with an older iPhone give/sell your series 1 AirPods to them. I was able to confirm that they don’t experience the issues with an XR...must be something hardware related in the 11 range.

Oct 28, 2019 11:54 AM in response to Nole87

Yeah that must be frustrating. You are the second person I am aware of that still has the garbled sound issue with series 2 AirPods. Issue went away for me on the iPhone 11 Pro Max with iOS 13.1.2.

I did just notice that 13.2 is available (for me on AT&T phone in the U.S. anyway) and had seen some posts from people using the beta that it helped with a myriad of Bluetooth issues. Also have seen some posts that there may be interference with the Bluetooth from the Apple Watch.

Try 13.2 if you can get it and rule out the watch if it is in play. Good luck and let us know if you get it sorted.

AirPod issues since I got my iPhone 11 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.