Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Siri audio over bluetooth

New iPhone 11 Pro Max - IOS 13.1.2 (updated today but issue was same in 13.1.1 ) - I have no siri audio over bluetooth devices. First noticed in my car when asking Siri questions (usually comes through car speakers) but when asked a question, remains completely silent but Siri animation is shown on iPhone and text is on screen (say weather etc.). Music and phone calls are ok but nothing from siri. So tested the same on Bose Mini II SoundLink - same issue - no Siri audio on speaker but does play on iPhone rather than remain silent. I noticed, whilst Siri is in action, the bluetooth icon in the bottom right of the screen, so I press this and it shows two Bose SoundLinks but as soon as I press the bluetooth icon and attempt to switch to speaker, Siri stops. Again, music and calls ok over the speaker. I've tried, unpair/pair, switch off phone, restore etc - same issue.

Just also tried my airpods - siri requests played on phone initially no through airpods. Made a phone call, came through on airpods then subsequent siri request came through on Airpods !

Some clearly not right with Bluetooth on either IOS 13 or iPhone 11 !

Have an iPhone X so going to set that up shortly and test that !

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 1:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 4:45 AM

An update ! I have discovered that if you say Hey Siri in the car, she will remain silent but the question will be answered on the iPhone screen. Bluetooth activates and the dash says In call. However, if you invoke Siri by pressing the side button and asking a question, Siri is heard over the car bluetooth. I have tested this numerous times and used exactly the same questions and everytime i press the side button, then ask the question, it works but invoking by saying Hey Siri does not.

I also updated to IOS 13.1.3 today and the issue remains.

183 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2019 4:45 AM in response to Insomniac86

An update ! I have discovered that if you say Hey Siri in the car, she will remain silent but the question will be answered on the iPhone screen. Bluetooth activates and the dash says In call. However, if you invoke Siri by pressing the side button and asking a question, Siri is heard over the car bluetooth. I have tested this numerous times and used exactly the same questions and everytime i press the side button, then ask the question, it works but invoking by saying Hey Siri does not.

I also updated to IOS 13.1.3 today and the issue remains.

Nov 21, 2019 11:23 PM in response to Sirivoiceissuebluetooth

I'm amazed how many other users have this issue since I started this post.

This is NOT a car issue and you should no be fobbed off by Apple. My car is NEW and the software in it is up to date. All other iPhones with IOS 13+ work just fine - it is only the iPhone 11 Pro range that has this issue (not sure about 11 as don't have one to hand).

As above, log a bug report with Apple - https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html and link this post to it.

Dec 19, 2019 8:26 AM in response to jaseyb257

Good news!!!! iOS13.3.1 beta 1 seems to solve the issue!

Just updated to 13.3.1 beta this morning. I about wrecked when I could hear Siri respond to my request to play music for the first time in weeks in my car! Also tested it with various requests. Worked every time.

Installing betas is VERY easy to do. I've been running them on all my Apple devices for months with no issues. Go here (on the iPhone you want to update, can't enroll into the iOS beta program from a computer!!)

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/ (click the enroll link in the enroll instructions)

When you want to unenroll your phone (maybe after the final 13.3.1 is released) read this:

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/unenroll

Please reply with your results!

Dec 12, 2019 6:20 AM in response to jaseyb257

Siri audio feedback in my car stopped working in my car with the 13.3 update. For example if I ask Siri about the weather, I can see my car’s display changes as it normally would when BT audio is coming from my phone (appears as a phone call), my car makes it’s normal chimes, but no audio from Siri, just screen information. This is an absolute fiasco with the Bluetooth issues. Also my phone now sees two handsfree devices when I’m connected to my car’s Bt. The car is a 2015 Honda CR-V, my phone is an 11 pro.

I’ve tried clearing all the phone/Bt data from my car (there’s a master clear function), removes pairing from my phone, reset network settings, restarted my phone.

Oct 3, 2019 7:48 AM in response to Gary Gulley

Accidently clicked on Solved here but it is not !

Just tried the same with an iPhone X with IOS 12.4.1 and that works perfectly in the car - ask Siri something - comes out of car speakers over bluetooth. Same with Bose speaker (although I had to initiate the first request on the speaker but can't remember now if this actually worked before - car more important !). Going to update the same phone to IOS 13.1.2 and see if that works or then fails. The car is a Range Rover Velar.

With regards to the Iphone 11 on IOS 13.1.2 - done a few unpair/pair -still the same but Siri did work correctly first time on daughters JBL bluetooth speaker (initiated on iPhone using Hey Siri !!)

Still of the opinion something broke Siri bluetooth audio on IOS 13 ! Will post back once i've upgraded the iphone x to IOS 13.

Oct 3, 2019 9:47 AM in response to Gary Gulley

I also just tried my previous iPhone XS Max as that worked fine with iOS 12 and I think it also worked with iOS 13.1 beta. The same Xs Max is now on 13.1.2 and when hey Siri is asked, it does reply - out of the phone not via Bluetooth!

any iPhone connected by cable to Apple CarPlay works just fine which is what I’m having to do now !

im going to have a chat with Apple tomorrow 🤬

Oct 4, 2019 6:46 AM in response to jaseyb257

Another day, another update !

So I managed to update the working iPhone X from 12.4.1 to 13.1.2 and that WORKS !?! Siri though speakers of the car. So then I disconnected that from blueooth, reconnected the iPhone 11 Pro via bluetooth and asked Siri what the weather was like (she must be so sick of me asking that now!) and voila - out of the speakers Siri came !! I'm thinking ***. After the 20 journey, I thought i'd ask about the weather again - back to normal - no sound from speakers, quiet Siri and response on the iPhone screen with answer. So did the same with steps - connected the iPhone X via bluetooth and that worked straight away again, as did a request from the iPhone 11 Pro and after a few minutes after asking again, same problem !! Fed up of it now - gone back to using a cable and Car Play !

Oct 8, 2019 11:28 AM in response to GhostReaper

I'm having the same problem with my iphone Xr and a Bose Soundlink II Mini speaker. It will play music but NOT Siri. I use SPEAK PAGE to listen to books on either Kindle app or iBooks and it might connect briefly to the Bose but then quickly drops . As I said, any sound that is NOT siri works fine. Siri will play fine over a cheap JBL. I am running IOS 13.2 Beta 1. Perhaps it will be fixed in next beta release.

Oct 8, 2019 11:36 AM in response to Roundtuit60

yes, as well as the car Bluetooth issue, I have that problem too (see my original post). I have the same Bose speaker. I’ve just read some posts that suggest it’s a Siri volume issue and when you activate Siri, you should quickly press the volume up button but I cannot get that to work! However if you press the middle button on the sound link mini and ask Siri a question, that does come out the speaker but soon as you ask the phone or press the phone Siri button, Siri requests reverts back to the phone speaker! And like you, I tried a JBL flip 4 speaker and this worked absolutely fine! Frustrating!

Oct 16, 2019 4:39 AM in response to jaseyb257

I have exactly the same issue on my 2014 Toyota Camry with my iPhone 11. Siri will work for map directions or playing music or on a phone call.

However any interaction via “hey Siri” will fail to provide any audio. I can see she is summoned on screen. However she doesn’t listen or speak.

What I have noticed is if I tap the Bluetooth icon in the bottom right when Siri is on screen, I will see two entries for my car audio. When I select the other duplicate entry she will work for that single Siri session (i can then press the Siri icon and continue the conversation$. If I dismiss her and then use Hey Siri again, she will be silent.

No Siri audio over bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.